DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 17, 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 17, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (May 17, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
- The opening of the famed Thrissur Pooram festival was attended by more than 10,000 people after an order disallowing a 54-year-old tusker Thechikottukavu Ramachandran from taking part in the festivities was reversed. And this ceremony is also known as ‘Pooram Vilambaram’.
NMCG, HCL Foundation and INTACH inked MoU for Rudraksh Plantation in Uttarakhand:
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), HCL Foundation and Indian National Trust for Art and Culture Heritage (INTACH) signed tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for Plantation of Rudraksha Trees in Uttarakhand under the ‘Namami Gange’ Programme.
- The objective is to create a greener ecosystem in the Ganga Basin along the stretch of 97 towns and 4,465 villages.
Home Ministry cancels registration of Infosys Foundation over FCRA violation:
- The Home Ministry has cancelled the registration of Bengaluru-based NGO Infosys Foundation for alleged violation of norms in receiving foreign grants.
- All non-government organisations (NGOs) are mandatorily required to be registered under the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act or FCRA to receive foreign funding.
- The registration was cancelled as Infosys Foundation allegedly did not file income and expenditure statement on foreign funding for the past few years.
Captain Aarohi Pandit from Mumbai became 1st woman in the world to cross the Atlantic Ocean solo in an LSA:
- Captain Aarohi Pandit, a 23-year-old pilot from Mumbai created history by becoming the first woman in the world to cross the Atlantic Ocean solo in a Light Sports Aircraft (LSA). She achieved the record by landing her aircraft at Iqaluit Airport in Canada.
CBIC introduces weightage system for appointments under compassionate scheme:
- The CBIC has introduced a weightage points system for appointing persons on compassionate ground, based on criteria such as family income, dependents and remaining service period of the deceased.
- The weightage points system, based on nine criteria, aims at ensuring objectivity, transparency and uniformity in the selection process for appointments on the compassionate ground.
- The instructions for such appointments are issued by the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) and the CBIC has come out with the ‘weightage points system’ for its cadre under the broad guidelines of the personnel department.
11th Joint Consular Committee meet between India, Iran held in Delhi:
- The 11th Joint Consular Committee meeting between India and Iran took place in New Delhi.
- Agreement on Mutual Legal Assistance on civil and commercial matters and extending the longer duration of e-Visa for each other nationals on reciprocity.
- Joint Secretary in the External Affairs Ministry Amit Narang led the Indian side, while the Iran delegation was led by Director General for Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Iran Ali Asghar Mohammadi.
6th Session of Global Platform for DDR started in Geneva, Switzerland:
- The 6th Session of the biennial Global Platform for (DDR) Disaster Risk Reduction (GP2019) has started in Geneva, Switzerland from 13th May to 17 May 2019 and is co-chaired by Switzerland and UNISDR.
- The session is summoned under the theme, ‘Resilience Dividend: Towards Sustainable and Inclusive Societies’.
Global Influence of Asian Civilizations Forum kicks off in Beijing:
- As one of the six parallel forums of the “Conference of Dialogue on Asian Civilizations”, the Forum on Global Influence of Asian Civilizations, organized by the National Radio and Television Administration of the People’s Republic of China, is being held at the China National Convention Center Beijing, China.
- Theme of this forum: “Asian Values for the World”; The theme of the event: “Exchanges and Mutual Learning among Asian Civilizations and a Community with a Shared Future.”
In a first, India to host part of International Army Games:
- India for the first time will host and participate in a major army competition involving eight countries, including China and Russia, in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan.
- The event called the ‘Army International Scout Masters Competition 2019’ will be held in August this year.
Israel proposes India to be the focus country in Jerusalem Film Festival, 2020:
- The Indian Delegation led by I&B Secretary Shri Amit Khare met Film Commissioners of participating countries at Cannes Film Festival.
- During the meeting, Israel proposed India to be the focus country in Jerusalem Film Festival, 2020. The buzz created by the Hindi movie Newton in Israel was also highlighted by the Israeli Delegation.
- In order to further enhance the appeal of India as the go-to destination for filming, India has been positioned prominently on the Pocket Guide of Marche Du Film, Cannes Film Market, which celebrates Indian cinema as the world’s largest film industry.
Nepal climber scales Mount Everest for record 23rd time:
- A Nepalese Sherpa climber Kami Rita has scaled Mount Everest for a 23rd time, breaking his own record for the most successful ascents of the world’s highest peak.
India Joins Global Initiative to Combat Extremism Online:
- India joined France, New Zealand, Canada and several other countries on in launching a major initiative in Paris to combat terrorism and extremism online and secure the internet.
- The initiative, ‘Christchurch call to action’, was named after the New Zealand city where 51 people were killed in an attack on mosques. The initiative was headed by New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and France’s President Emmanuel Macron.
Taiwan approves same-sex marriage in first for Asia:
- Taiwan’s legislature voted to legalize same-sex marriage, a first in Asia and a boost for LGBT rights activists who had championed the cause for two decades.
- That makes Taiwan the first place in Asia with a comprehensive law both allowing and laying out the terms of same-sex marriage.
Trump unveils ‘merit-based’ immigration policy plan:
US President Donald Trump has outlined plans for a new US immigration system that replaces the existing green cards with ‘Build America’ visa and substantially hikes the quota for young and highly skilled workers from 12 to 57 per cent, a move likely to benefit thousands of Indian professionals.
BANKING & BUSINESS
RBI’s vision 2021 looks at a ‘cash-lite’ society, cyber security, and more:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released its statement on ‘Payment and Settlement Systems in India: Vision 2019–2021’, which outlined the measures that the central bank will undertake to foster innovation, cybersecurity, financial inclusion, customer protection, and competition.
- The Payment Systems Vision 2021 envisages achieving a ‘highly digital’ and ‘cash-lite’ society through the goalposts of competition, cost-effectiveness, convenience, and confidence.
- The number of digital transactions is expected to increase more than four times, from 20.69 billion in December 2018 to 87.07 billion in December 2021. The digital payment transaction turnover vis-à-vis gross domestic product (at current market prices) is expected to further increase to 10.37 per cent in 2019, 12.29 per cent in 2020, and 14.80 per cent in 2021.
HDFC partners with IMGC to provide mortgage-guarantee-backed home loan:
- Housing finance major HDFC Limited has partnered with India Mortgage Guarantee Corporation (IMGC) to offer a mortgage-guaranteed home loan product.
- The partnership aims to make it possible for HDFC to further penetrate home loan market and access an enlarged customer base, helping them to own a home of their choice. This product will help HDFC to offer more loan to a home loan customer on an enhanced eligibility.
Bombay Stock Exchange launches mobile app for its mutual fund platform:
- Leading stock exchange Bombay Stock Exchange has launched ‘BSE StAR MF’ app to enable more participation and help mutual fund distributors process transactions faster.
- “BSE StAR MF mobile app supports real-time client registration and paperless transactions, creates and uploads mandate for SIPs, generates the basket of multiple orders, tracks and allows the distributor to analyse his business at his fingertips. It is the exchange’s mutual fund platform which helps distributors purchase and redeem mutual fund units on behalf of their clients.
SIDBI’s pilot scheme for fintech NBFCs to boost digital lending:
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has put together a pilot scheme to extend financial assistance of up to Rs.10 crore to new-age fintech Non-Banking Finance Companies (NBFCs) engaged in financing small businesses and other income-generating activities.
- As per the scheme, new age fintech NBFCs should hold in trust the underlying securities/ receivables on behalf of SIDBI.
Tech Mahindra partners with French digital content solutions firm Rakuten Aquafadas:
- IT services firm Tech Mahindra and French digital content publishing firm Rakuten Aquafadas signed an MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) to collaborate on building enhanced customer experience offerings.
- Rakuten Aquafadas and Tech Mahindra aim to build a Customer Experience Offering leveraging the suite of software that Rakuten Aquafadas provides for digital publishing.
RANKING/REPORTS BY VARIOUS ORGANISATIONS
India had world’s highest child mortality rate in 2015: Lancet study
- India had more deaths among children under five than any other country in 2015, with large disparities in the child mortality rate between richer and poorer states, a Lancet study has found.
- The researchers at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in the US analysed state-level Indian data on the causes of death among children under five for the years 2000-2015.
- They found that India made great progress during the period, reducing annual mortality among children under five from 2.5 million in 2000 to 1.2 million in 2015 which was still the highest in the world.
Mint Globetrotter Index: Dubai costlier than Delhi
- On the Mint Globetrotter Index, the “others” category comprises seven cities across Africa, West Asia and the Indian Ocean. Among the seven cities, Victoria, the capital of Seychelles, is the most expensive with an index value of 192 and a rank of 28.
- Dubai is way costlier than Delhi and ranks 24 on the overall cost index. The cost profile of Lagos is very similar to that of India and ranks 5th on the index and is the cheapest in the category.
- Cape Town, the oldest city in South Africa comes at the 16th place on the overall index and is 47% costlier than Delhi.
Kumar Tuhin appointed as next Ambassador of India to Bosnia & Herzegovina:
- Kumar Tuhin (IFS:1991) presently Ambassador of India to the Republic of Hungary, has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to Bosnia & Herzegovina with residence in Budapest.
Cyril Ramaphosa to be inaugurated as president of South Africa on 25 May:
- Cyril Ramaphosa’s party, African National Congress (ANC) won South African elections with majority and secured 57.51 percent votes and Cyril Ramaphosa elected as South African President.
Praveen Pardeshi is BMC chief as Mehta named chief secy:
- Praveen Pardeshi took charge as the Commissioner of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC).
- Pardeshi replaced Ajoy Mehta, a 1984-batch IAS officer, who was recently appointed as Maharastra’s new chief secretary.
Major General A K Dhingra appointed as the first Special Operations Division Commander:
- Ace Special Forces operative and Sri Lanka war veteran Major General AK Dhingra has been appointed as the first head of country’s first tri-services Special Operations Division comprising commandos from all three services.
Justice A. K. Sikri Appointed as Chairperson of the News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA):
- Former Supreme Court Judge Justice A. K. Sikri has been appointed as the Chairperson of the News Broadcasting Standards Authority (NBSA).
- Justice Sikri will succeed Justice R. V. Raveendran, who completes his term on May 25, 2019.
Padmaja appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Nauru:
- Ms. Padmaja, presently High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Fiji, has been concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Nauru, with residence in Suva.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Anil Kapoor to be felicitated by CEUCC:
- Actor Anil Kapoor will be felicitated by the Council of European Chambers of Commerce (CEUCC) in India and a European Union delegation as part of the ‘Europe Day’ celebrations, for promoting Children’s Rights and his effort to protect the rights of girls in collaboration with Plan India and the European Union.
SRFI-HCL tie-up for improving Indian squash:
- The Squash Rackets Federation of India (SRFI) announced a tie-up with HCL with an aim to improve the health of the sport in the country.
- Through ‘HCL Squash Podium Programme’, multiple tournaments will be organised at both the senior and junior level besides clinics for the existing coaches.
- SRFI president Debendranath Sarangi said they plan to conduct 12 PSA World Tour and Challenger Tour events every year across the country.
Manchester City retain Premier League title with 4-1 win over Brighton:
- Manchester City defeated Brighton by 4-1 at the Amex Stadium, UK in Premier League title match. Manchester City became the first team to retain the title in last 10 years since Manchester United had done the same in 2009.
China set to host 2023 AFC Asian Cup after Korean withdrawal:
- Recently, Korea Football Association (KFA) had withdrawn their bid to host Asian Cup 2023 which leave the sole other bidders China with a free run to become hosts.
- KFA announced that they are pulled out to strategically focus on a joint bid with North Korea to host Women’s World Cup in 2023.
UNDRR confers Dr P.K. Mishra Additional Principal Secretary to Prime Minister with the prestigious Sasakawa Award 2019:
- United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) conferred Sasakawa Award 2019 for Disaster Risk Reduction to Dr.Pramod Kumar Mishra, Additional Principal Secretary to Prime Minister of India. The award was announced at the Award Ceremony during the ongoing 6th Session of Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (GPDRR) 2019 at Geneva.
- Dr. P. K. Mishra from India received the 2019 Sasakawa award in recognition of his long-term dedication to improve the resilience of communities most exposed to disasters.
- The United Nations Sasakawa Award is the most prestigious international award in the area of Disaster Risk Management. The theme of the 2019 Sasakawa award was “Building Inclusive and Resilient Societies”.
South Asian Games swimming champion MB Balakrishnan died in road accident:
- Ace Tamil Nadu swimmer and South Asian Games gold-medallist MB Balakrishnan died in a road accident in Chennai.
- He won a gold in the National Games at Guwahati in 2007 and later rewrote the 50m backstroke national record in July 2010 at the Senior National championships in New Delhi.
Bob Hawke, former Australian prime minister, dies aged 89:
- Australia’s 23rd Prime Minister and Labor elder statesman Bob Hawke has died. Mr Hawke led the country and his party from 1983 to 1991, and his contribution to public life helped shape modern Australia.
Former Kerala Minister Kadavoor Sivadasan died at the age of 87:
- Former Minister and Congress leader Kadavoor Sivdasan died at a private Hospital. He was 87.
- Mr. Sivadasan represented the Kollam and Kundra segments in the Assembly. He had served as a Minister in the United Democratic Front governments headed by the late K. Karunakaran and A. K. Antony and had held Power, Health and Forest portfolios.
I.M. Pei, architect who designed Louvre Pyramid, dies at 102:
- I.M. Pei, the versatile, globe-trotting architect who revived the Louvre with a giant glass pyramid and captured the spirit of rebellion at the multi-shaped Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, has died at age 102.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL