DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 28, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (May 28 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Women’s Health Day: May 28
- International Day of Action for Women’s Health (or International Women’s Health Day) has been observed every year on May 28 since 1987. The main agenda is to promote the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) of all women all over the world.
World Menstrual Hygiene Day: May 28
- World Menstrual Hygiene Day is observed on May 28. The main idea behind marking this day is to change the social stigma associated with menstruation. This day was initiated by the German non-profit WASH United in 2013 and was first celebrated in 2014.
- The theme for 2020: ‘Periods in Pandemic’.
Karnataka governmentt to launch a project to maintain health database of all citizens:
- Karnataka governmentt to soon launch project to maintain the health database of all its citizens undertaking a survey of all 5 Crore people.
- A first of its kind initiative State Health Register will be robust and standardized health repository of all citizens.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: S. Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
Tamil Nadu signs MoUs worth over Rs 15,000 crore to generate 47,000 jobs
- Tamil Nadu signed 17 memorandums of understanding (MoUs) worth Rs 15,128 crore to generate 47,150 jobs in the state. Daimler India, Salcomp and other companies would invest over Rs 15000 crore. The Government also signed MoUs for renewable energy projects.
- Chief Minister:Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor:Banwarilal Purohit.
Banking and Economy:
BSE launches eKYC services on StAR MF platform:
- BSE StAR Mutual Fund has launched BSE eKYC services based on Aadhaar and Video KYC.
- Open for onboarding mutual fund investors initially, it will be opened to stock brokers and other approved intermediaries. It will soon issue APIs for stock brokers and other intermediaries to connect their IT systems to BSE’s eKYC
Aspiring Chartered Accountants Launch India’s First Chat-Based ‘JJ Tax App’:
- Aspiring chartered accountants Mehak Malik and Leesha Arya teamed up to launch JJ Tax App – a chat-based tax app. This app offers a wide range of solutions in taxation and allied services to customers, offering real-time solutions by tax experts.
- With Motto of ‘Done Fast Done Right’, this team is all set to simplify taxation for new-age millennials, who prefer online communication rather than face-to-face meetings with tax experts.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
Flipkart partners with Mango Board to help farmers sell online:
- Flipkart and Karnataka State Mango Department and Marketing Corporation signed a memorandum of understanding, enabling mango farmers to sell their fresh produce online through the Flipkart platform. The farmers would be provided market access to consumers.
NCLT approves IL&FS stake sale in GIFT City to Gujarat government:
- The Principal Bench of National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) has approved the stake sale of IL&FS in Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company Limited (GIFTCL) to the Government of Gujarat.
- The crisis-ridden IL&FS holds 50 per cent stake in GIFTCL. Notwithstanding the liability of GIFTCL, the Gujarat Government has agreed to pay positive equity value of 100 per cent of the IL&FS stake in GIFTCL, by which, the positive equity value of over Rs 32.70 crore will come to IL&FS.
Board of BEML approves signing of MoU with MELCO for setting up a JV:
- Board of BEML has approved the MoU with MELCO for a Joint Venture with BEML, for manufacture of certain propulsion systems and other railway electrical equipment utilized for Electric Multiple Units for Indian Metro Rail Projects, Indian Railway Projects.
Science and Technology:
Switzerland launched the world’s first app based on Google and Apple’s contact-tracing tech:
- Switzerland is the first country to launch a contact-tracing app “SwissCovid” using the specialized contact-tracing tech released by Google and Apple.
- Google and Apple released their “exposure notification” API earlier this month, and said 22 health authorities around the world have asked permission to use it.
Ola Electric acquires Etergo, looks to launch electric scooters in India by 2021:
- Ola Electric Mobility Pvt Ltd, electric vehicle arm of Ola acquired Amsterdam-based Etergo BV, manufacturer of electric scooters. With this acquisition, Ola Electric will enter the premium electric two-wheeler market and manufacture these scooters.
IIT Madras develops light-weight alloy to replace steel, aluminium in cars:
- Researchers at the IIT Madras, along with the University of North Texas and US Army Research Laboratory, have developed a magnesium alloy with significantly improved properties, that can replace steel and aluminium in automotive and aerospace components.
IIT Delhi researchers develop lighter, breathable PPE to fight Covid-19:
- Department of Textile and Fibre Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology Delhi has developed a breathable and light-weighted PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) to fight COVID-19.
CIPET to take up R&D initiatives in healthcare areas to deal with COVID-19:
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology under the Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers will take up Research and Development initiatives in the areas of Health Care, like Manufacturing and Certifying PPE to deal with COVID-19 pandemic.
Facebook Launches New App Called ‘CatchUp’ to Facilitate Group Phone Chats:
- Facebook has come up with another calling application called “Catch-Up”. The idea behind the new app is to coordinate call timings with friends and family members. The new app is developed by the company’s New Product Experimentation team.
Brazil’s Marcos Troyjo to succeed KV Kamath as NDB President:
- Brazil’s Marcos Troyjo will succeed India’s KV Kamath as president of the New Development Bank (NDB). Elections for the post were held during a special meeting of the bank’s Board Of Governors.
- India’s Anil Kishora will be the bank’s vice-president and chief risk officer.
Tsai ing-wen begins second term as Taiwan’s President:
- Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen took the oath for her second four-year term, buoyed by popularity as the country continues its successful response to the pandemic. She pledged to engage in dialogue with Beijing provided it respects Taiwan’s sovereignty.
- Capital: Taipei
- Currency: Taiwan dollar
- President: Tsai Ing-wen
JP Morgan Appoints former UTI Mutual Fund CEO Leo Puri as South Asia head:
- Leo Puri will take over from current chairperson Kalpana Morparia, who will retire in the first quarter of next year. As part of his responsibilities, Puri will cover JP Morgan’s external stakeholders including key clients, regulators, and industry bodies.
Sandip Mukund Pradhan’s tenure as Sports Authority of India DG extended by two years:
- Sandip Mukund Pradhan, the Director-General of Sports Authority of India (SAI) has been given an extension for his central deputation tenure. The extension has been given for a period of two years and it will come into effect from June 6, 2020.
GE Power India appoints Mahesh Palashikar as Chairman:
- GE Power India Ltd (GEPIL), formerly known as Alstom India, has designated Mahesh Shrikrishna Palashikar as its Additional Director and Non-Executive Chairman. Palashikar was the President and CEO of GE South Asia. He succeeded Vishal Keerti Wanchoo.
- Vijay Sharma appointed as Additional & Whole-time Director of GE Power.
Vishwas Mehta to take over as chief secretary of Kerala:
- Senior IAS officer Vishwas Mehta has been appointed as the new chief secretary of Kerala. Dr Mehta, who’s now Additional Chief Secretary (Home), will assume office on June 1. The incumbent chief secretary Tom Jose is set to retire on May 31.
R Sreelekha to Become Kerala’s First Woman DGP:
- Kerala Police gets its first woman Director General, Sreelekha and will head Kerala Fire and Rescue Services. Presently an Additional Director General of Police, she heads the Jail Department. She became the first woman Superintendent of Police in 1991.
Noted Urdu writer& satirist Mujtaba Hussain Passed away:
- Renowned Urdu writer and satirist Mujtaba Hussain, who had returned the Padma Shri award to the union government last year, passed away. Hussain was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award, in 2007 for his contribution to Urdu literature.
Former Tamil Nadu footballer Shanmugam passes away:
- Former Tamil Nadu footballer and coach Shanmugam passed away aged 77. He attended the FIFA Coca Cola coaching course in 1978 & ’91, and the Olympic solidarity course in 1996. He has coached ICF, Tamil Nadu and Indian Railways for the Santosh trophy.
Stanley Ho: Hong Kong’s ‘king of gambling’ dies aged 98:
- Stanley Ho, the Hong Kong tycoon credited with turning Macau into world’s gambling capital, has passed away. Ho, one of Asia’s richest men, was known as the “king of gambling”.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.