DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 30 & 31, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (May 30 & 31, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
IAF chief paid tribute to Kargil heroes by flying missing man formation
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) Chief Air Chief Marshal B.S. Dhanoa visits Air Force Station in Bhisiana and Sarsawa to pay homage to theair warriors who made supreme sacrifice during Operation Safed Sagar at Kargil.
- It took India two months of a joint effort between the Indian army and Air Force to evict the intruders. Dhanoa paid tribute to Late Squadron Leader Ajay Ahuja and other fallen heroes who lost their life 20 years back during the Kargil war.
- CAS B.S. Dhanoa flew the ‘missing man’ formation flypast in a Mig-21 aircraft. He was accompanied by Air Marshal R Nambiar, Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief (AOC-in-C) Western Air Command in the ‘missing man’ flypast organised at Air Force Station in Bhisiana in Bhatinda to honour the valour and supreme sacrifice of men killed in action during Operation Safed Sagar at Kargil, J&K.
- On 28 May the CAS visited Air Force Station Sarsawa and flew in a Mi-17 V5 ‘Missing Man’ formation flypast to commemorate the Kargil martyrs.
Saudi Arabia lifts export ban on fruits and vegetable from Kerala
- Saudi Arabia lifted export ban on fruits and vegetables from Kerala.
- In June 2018, the ban was imposed due to the outbreak of Nipah virus.
- Saudi Arabian authorities had communicated this information to the state in the second week of May and it has led to the commencement of direct exports from the 3 airports.
- Kozhikode airport exports 20 tonnes of fruits and vegetables per day worth $50,000 to various destinations in Saudi. Other 2 airports of Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram export the items to Dammam, Riyadh and Jeddah airports.
- The major items of export at present are mangoes such as Alphonso, Banganapalle, followed by banana and pineapple.
- Kerala exports around 150 tonnes of perishable commodities to gulf countries.
- It alone exports 30-40 tonnes to Saudi Arabia.
About Saudi Arabia
- Capital: Riyadh
- Currency: Saudi Riyal
India moves up to 43rd in competitiveness; Singapore tops chart
- India secured 43rd rank in the most competitive economy across the world and Singapore topped the chart by toppling the US from the first position and Hong Kong SAR ranked 2nd place as same as last year.
- The US ranked 3rd in the ranking. Switzerland ranked 4th in the ranking.
- UAE first time entered into the top 5 rankings. Last year in 2018 UAE ranked 7th.
About World Competitiveness Rankings
- The World Competitiveness Rankings was published by IMD Business School every year. The rankings first time published in 1989.
- It incorporates 235 indicators and ranked 63 countries every year.
Indias Last Orangutan Binny died due to prolonged illness
- Binny, a 41-year-oldorangutan, at Odisha’s Nandankanan Zoological Park died on 29 May following a prolonged illness. She was suffering from cold and old age related respiratory tract issues. Accordingly, the treatment was going on.
- The lone female orangutan Binny was brought to Nandankanan Zoo from Pune’s Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park on 20 November 2003, when she was 25 years old. Since her arrival, she has been alone in her zoo enclosure and zoo officials failed to arrange a male partner for her.
Centre sets up tribunal for adjudicating ban on LTTE
- The Centre set up atribunal for adjudicating whether or not there is sufficient reason to continue the ban on the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
Tribunal to adjudicate:
- A tribunal has been set up by the Government of India under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 (37 of 1967) for the purpose of adjudicating whether or not there is sufficient cause for declaring the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam as an unlawful association.
- The Tribunal constituted by GoI is comprised of a sitting Judge of Delhi High Court (HC) Justice Sangita Dhingra Sehgal.
Goldman Sachs to invest USD250 mn to construct one of its largest global work spaces in Bengaluru
- New York-based investment and financial services major Goldman Sachs have pumped in $250 million to construct one of its largest global workspaces in Bengaluru.
- Bengaluru, with 2,500 techies, is the second-largest engineering talent base of Goldman Sachs afterNew York.
- Goldman Sachs Service, Bengaluru has become one of the firm’s global centres of innovation focused on the development and application of artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data analytics to help solve business problems for our worldwide network.
- The investment bank has seen significant technology value-addition from Bengaluru during the past one-and-a-half decades, and software solutions developed in the city have been used in many business verticals. It has also undertaken automation of key services such as client onboarding.
- Founded: 1869
- Headquarters: New York, U.S
- Goldman Sachs is an American multinational investment bank and financial services company.
WHO recognized ‘burn-out’ as medical condition and ‘gaming disorder’ a recognised illness
- Recently, the World Health Organization (WHO) in its World Health Assembly held in Geneva, had for the first time recognized ‘burn out’ as a medical condition in its International Classification of Diseases (ICD), which was extensively used as a benchmark for diagnosis and health insurers.
- WHO in its catalogue of diseases and injuries defined burn-out as a syndrome conceptualised as resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed.
- The updated list of International Classification of Diseases (ICD) dubbed as ICD-11 which was drafted last year after the recommendations from health experts around the world.
- The ICD-I which will take effect in January 2022, contains several other additions, including classification of “compulsive sexual behaviour as a mental disorder.
- WHO had also the first time recognised video gaming as an addiction, listing it alongside gambling and drugs like cocaine
- Headquarter: Geneva, Switzerland
- Director General: Tedros Adhanom
Sino-India IT and DT Industry Cooperation Forum 2019 was held in Guiyang, China
- To create a new chapter in India-China cooperation in the new era of digital transition, 2019 Sino-India IT and DT Industry Cooperation Forum was held on 27th May in Guiyang, China.
- The objective was to create a new chapter in India-China cooperation in the new era of the digital transition. To make progress and boost development, the big data, and artificial intelligence, the countries need to have in-depth exchanges.
- NIIT Technology, Shanghai signed cooperation agreements with Guizhou University and Guiyang Education Bureau.
- President: Xi Jinping
- Capital: Beijing
- Currency: Renminbi
- Chairman: Keshav Murugesh
- Headquarter: Noida, U.P
Malaysia to send back hundreds of tonnes of imported plastic waste
- The Malaysian government said that hundreds of tonnes of imported plastic waste will be shipped back to where it came from insisting that the country did not want to be a global dumping ground.
- The announcement was made by the Malaysian Minister for Energy, Science, Technology, Environment, and Climate Change Yeo Bee Yin.
- The Ministry said 450 tonnes of contaminated plastic waste in 10 containers from Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, and the United States will be shipped back.
- Plastic imports to Malaysia have tripled since 2016, to 8,70,000 tonnes in 2018.
- The Malaysian government also urged the developed countries to review their management of plastic waste and stop shipping garbage to developing countries.
- Processing such materials produce toxic fumes. Villagers near the recycle plant are suffering fromasthma and itchiness.
US removed India, Switzerland from its currency monitoring list
- US Government removed India and Switzerland from its currency monitoring list US Government has removed India and Switzerland from its currency monitoring list.
- The monitoring list includes countries with potentially questionable foreign exchange policies and practices currency manipulation.
- It is prepared by the US Treasury Department. India had a significant trade surplus while Switzerland had a material current account surplus.
- In its semi-annual report to US Congress on International Economic and Exchange Rate Policies, the Treasury Department removed India and Switzerland from the list.
- Capital: Washington, DC
- Currency: US Dollar
- President: Donald Trump
WHO concluded that Burnout is not a medical condition
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has for the first time recognised “burn out” in its International Classification of Diseases (ICD), collectively known as the ICD-11.
- The decision was taken during the World Health Assembly (WHA) in Geneva.
- WHO has now defined burnout as “a syndrome conceptualised as resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed”.
- Burn-out refers specifically to phenomena in the occupational context and should not be applied to describe experiences in other areas of life.
Huawei challenged U.S.s NDDA bill as sanctions fight ramps up
- World’s largest telecom equipment maker Huawei filed a motion in a US court to declare National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) as “unconstitutional”.
- The U.S. court had agreed on a schedule to hold hearings in September on motions by opposing sides.
- The NDAA bill, passed by the U.S. Congress in 2018, places a broad ban on federal agencies and their contractors from using Huawei equipment on national security grounds, citing the company’s ties with the Chinese government.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI set up task force for secondary market in corporate loans
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) constituted a task force to suggest policy and regulatory interventionsrequired for the development of a secondary market in corporate loans, including loan transaction platform for stressed assets.
- The six-member body, headed by Canara Bank chairman T. N. Manoharan, has been set up to review the existing state of the market for loan sale/transfer in India as well as international experience in loan trading.
Secondary loan Market:
- The secondary loan market refers to the sale of loans that occurs after syndication of the original loan has been closed and allocated. It includes sales or trades of syndicated loans made by lenders in the original syndicate and those made by subsequent purchasers.
- Secondary loan market in India is largely restricted to Asset Reconstruction Companies (ARCs) and ad hoc sale to other lenders, including banks, and no formalized mechanism has been developed to deepen the market.
RBI constitutes a committee for Housing Finance Securitisation Market
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) constituted a committee to review the existing state of mortgage securitisation in India and suggest measures to deepen it. The six-member committee on Development of Housing Finance Securitisation Market is headed by Harsh Vardhan, Senior Advisor, Bain & Co.
Mortgage-Backed Security (MBS):
- Mortgage-Backed security (MBS) is a type of asset-backed security that is secured by a mortgage or collection of mortgages.
Bandhan Bank plans to open 16 more branches by June
- City-based Bandhan Bankplans to open 16 more branches by June following the approval received from the Reserve Bank of India in2018-19 to open 64 new branches.
- 48 branches were opened by March 2019 and the remaining branches would be opened this quarter.
- The Bank also plans to open a branch at Boral in South 24 Parganas and in West Bengal.
- Founded: 23 August 2015
- Founder: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh
- Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal
- Chairman: Dr. Anup Kumar Sinha
- MD & CEO: Chandra Shekhar Ghosh
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Srei Equipment Finance ties up with Oriental Bank of Commerce to offer loans for purchase of equipment under a co-lending arrangement
- Srei Equipment Finance tied up with Oriental Bank of Commerce to offer loans for the purchase of equipment under a co-lending arrangement.
- Srei Equipment Finance is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Srei Infrastructure Finance.
- The funds for the project will be sourced through a platform named iQuippo, a unique digital market place of Kanoria Foundation. It will help in loan origination, loan dues collection, auction of equipment, valuation of equipment and other facilities.
- The co-lending arrangement will include financing of construction, mining and allied equipment, medical equipment, commercial vehicles and farm equipment.
About Oriental Bank of Commerce:
- Headquarters: Gurugram, Haryana
- CEO: Mukesh Kumar Jain
- Tag line: Where every individual is committed
Standard Chartered launched Trade A1 Engine in partnership with IBM
- Standard Charteredlaunched Trade A1 Engine in partnership with IBM Standard Chartered in partnership with IBM has launched the Trade A1 Engine which will automate the high risk process of trade documentation.
- It will enhance client experience through increased operational efficiency and strengthened operational control.
- This newly launched Trade A1 Engine will replace the Traditional documentary trade consisting of millions of data elements in paper-based that to be reviewed through a largely manual process.
- Headquarters: Armonk, New York, United States
- CEO: Ginni Rometty
About Standard Chartered
- CEO: Bill Winters
- Headquarters location: London, United Kingdom
NCLT approved the the resolution plan of Tata Steel to acquire Bhushan Energy Ltd.
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) approved the resolution plan of Tata Steel to acquire debt-ridden Bhushan Energy Ltd.for about Rs.800 crore on 30 May.
- The principal bench of NCLT-Delhi also rejected objections from Bhushan Energy’s former promoter Neeraj Singal opposing Tata Steels’ bid.
- Under the resolution plan, Tata Steel will offer an upfront payment of Rs.730 crore.
- It would also pay Rs.50 crore additionally to operational creditors of the company. Besides, Tata Steel would also infuse Rs.367 crore into the company as a part of equity infusion. A detailed order is still awaited in this matter.
Bhushan Energy was a subsidiary of Bhushan Steel Ltd., which was also taken over by Tata Steel last May and later renamed as Tata Steel BSL Ltd.
- Tata Steel had offered Rs.35,200 crore in cash to acquire Bhushan Steel besides Rs.1,200 crore to creditors and convert the remaining debt owed to banks to equity.
- Earlier in June 2018, in this matter, NCLT had extended the insolvency resolution period for 90 days after the creditors failed to find a suitable buyer within the initial period of 180 days as mandated under theInsolvency & Bankruptcy Code (IBC).
NSIC signed MoU with the Ministry of MSME for 2018-19 financial year
- The National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) for the year 2018-19.
- The MOU was signed by Ram Mohan Mishra and Arun Kumar Panda in the presence of Alka Nangia Arora, Joint Secretary, SME; Mercy Epao, Director (SME); P Udaya Kumar, Director, P&M, NSIC, and A.K. Mittal, Director, Finance, NSIC.
- The MoU envisages provision of enhanced services by NSIC under its marketing, financial, technology, and other support services schemes, for MSMEs in the country.
National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC):
Headquarters: New Delhi, India
Chairman & MD: Ram Mohan Mishra
NSIC is the nodal office for several schemes of Ministry of MSME such as Performance & Credit Rating, Single Point Registration, MSME Databank, National SC ST Hub, etc.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Muhammadu Buhari sworn in as the president of Nigeria for the second term
- Muhammadu Buharisworn in for a second term as Nigeria’s president.
- He is a former military ruler, won 56 percent of the votes to defeat his main challenger, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) in the February election.
- According to Transparency International’s 2018 Corruption Perceptions Index, Nigeria failed to improve its ranking of 144th out of 180 countries from the previous year, despite a number of positive steps.
- Buhari is the twenty-third child of his father.
About Muhammadu Buhari
- Born:17 December 1942
- Political party: All Progressives Congress
- Nationality: Nigerian
Walmart Appoints Suresh Kumar as Chief Technology Officer
- US-based retail chain Walmart appointed Suresh Kumar, an IIT Madras graduate, and former Google executive, as chief technology officer and chief development officer.
- The appointment comes at a time when Walmart is transforming its customer and associate experiences.
- He has 25 years of technology leadership experience, coming from Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and IBM.
- He has a unique understanding of the intersection of technology and retail, including supply chain, and has deep experience in advertising, cloud and machine learning.
- Founded : July 2, 1962;
- Founder: Sam Walton
- Headquarters: Bentonville, Arkansas, U.S.
- Chairman: Greg Penner
- President and Chairman: Doug McMillon
Narendra Modi took oath as the Prime Minister of India
- Narendra Modi, who was elected for a second term at the Centre, took oath as the Prime Minister at the Rashtrapati Bhavan on 30 May.
- President Ram Nath Kovind administered the oath of office and secrecy at the function.
- The oath-taking ceremony was attended by leaders of the BIMSTEC member countries (Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Nepal, and Bhutan).
- Several foreign and Opposition leaders attended the ceremony including Congress’ Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
- By winning 303 seats, the Bharatiya Janata Party got the decisive mandate to rule the country for the next five years.
- Even though the party has the required numbers to form the government on its own, it has decided to accommodate its allies in the Ministries.
- A total of 57 ministers sworn in as Prime Minister Narendra Modi begins the second term.
Y S Jaganmohan Reddy was sworn in as second Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh
- Y S Jaganmohan Reddy,who got a massive mandate for his party YSRCP in the Assembly elections, was sworn in as second Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh after bifurcation on 30 May.
- Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan administered the oath to Mr. Jagan at the Indira Gandhi Municipal Stadium, Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh.
James Marape appointed as the Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea
- Lawmakers of Papua New Guinea elected James Marape as its 8th prime minister. He belongs to Pangu Party.
- He succeeded Peter O Neill of People’s National Congress party, who was pressured to resign by a series of political defections in recent days, and tensions over a multi-billion-dollar gas project signed this year with French company Total and the US firm ExxonMobil.
- Marape earlier served as the finance minister of Papua New Guinea while he was a member of the People’s National Congress party and he resigned on April 2019.
About Papua New Guinea:
- Capital: Port Moresby
- Currency: Papua New Guinean kina
Military tribunal allows Karambir Singh to take charge as new Navy Chief
- The Armed Forces Tribunal made Vice Admiral Karambir Singh to become the next Navy Chief while it deferred for four weeks the matter of Vice Admiral Bimal Verma which seeks to quash Singh’s appointment.
- Karambir Singh, who is the Commander-in-Chief of the Eastern Naval Command, will take over as the Navy Chief on 31st May 2019.
He was commissioned into the Indian Navy in July 1980 and earned his wings as a helicopter pilot in 1982.
- He has extensive experience with the HAL Chetak, Kamov Ka-25, and Kamov Ka-28 helicopters
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Zaidi wins USD 100,000 Nine Dots Prize
- Mumbai-based Writer Annie Zaidi was announced as the 2019 winner of the $100,000 Nine Dots Prize, an award for creative thinking that tackles contemporary societal issues.
- She won the prize for her entry titled‘Bread, Cement, Cactus’, a piece that combined memoir and reportage to explore concepts of home and belonging.
Nine Dots Prize:
- The Nine Dots Prize is sponsored by the Kadas Prize Foundation, a U.K.-registered charity, with support from the Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities (CRASSH) at the University of Cambridge and Cambridge University Press.
N Kumar, TNAU V-C, conferred with ‘Lifetime Recognition Award’ by the Confederation of Horticulture Association of India
- Lifetime Recognition Award by the Confederation of Horticulture Association of India was given to Professor N. Kumar, Vice-Chancellor of Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.
- The award has been conferred for his outstanding contribution in the field of horticulture and academic leadership focused on human resource development in agriculture at the International Conference on Innovative horticulture at Pantnagar, Uttarakhand, according to a varsity release.
- He began his career as an Assistant Professor in Horticulture during 1979 at TNAU and by consistent and meritorious performance.
- He managed to occupy the position of Dean of Horticultural College and Research Institute, TNAU in 2009-2013 before becoming the 13th Vice-Chancellor of the renowned Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport of Indore Gets International Status
- Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport of Indore, Madhya Pradesh was declared as International Airport.
- It was given the International status as per sub-rule (b) of rule 3 of the Passport (Entry into India) Rules, 1950 by the Central Government.
- The Indore airport facilitates round the clock operations and was given its World Standardization Certificate by the UK.
About Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport
- The airport is named after Maharani Ahilya Bai Holkar of Indore.
- It is the busiest airport in Central India and it is operating 24*7.
- It is conferred with the World Standardization Certification by the United Kingdom.
- International airports have customs and border control facilities to enable passengers to travel between countries.
About Madhya Pradesh
- Capital: Bhopal
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- Chief Minister: Kamal Nath
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Motila Oswal AMC become the first Indian fund house to introduce WhatsApp transaction platform
- Motilal Oswal Asset Management Company (AMC) become the first Indian fund house to launch WhatsApp transaction platform for mutual fund transactions for new as well as existing investors.
- This enables investors to use WhatsApp to invest in any scheme from Motilal Oswal AMC. Investors can either invest lump sum or through SIPS.
The platform works:
- An investor should add Motilal Oswal AMC number (+91 9372205812) to his/her contact list. Then on WhatsApp, type ‘Hi’ on the above number.
- After sharing the PAN details, the investor should share his/her mode of investment, fund, amount. Finally, authorize payment for the transaction through the payment link sent.
Motilal Oswal AMC
- Establishment: 2008
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Raamdeo Agrawal
India’s first all-woman crew flies Mi – 17 V5 medium lift helicopter
- Three women officers of Indian Air Force were part of India’s first all-women crew to fly a medium-lift helicopter Mi-17 V5.
- Flight Lieutenant Parul Bhardwaj (Captain), Flying Officer Aman Nidhi (co-pilot) and Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal (Flight Engineer) were three women IAF officers flew the chopper, which took off from a forward air base in South Western air command.
- All three women officers flew a Mi-1 7 V5 helicopter for Battle Inoculation Training mission.
- Under this mission, the helicopter had taken off and landed from restricted areas at a forward airbase in South Western air command.
- Flight Lieutenant Parul Bhardwaj became the first woman pilot to fly the Mi-17 V5. Flight Lieutenant Hina Jaiswal became the first woman flight engineer of the IAF.
- Flying officer Aman Nidhi from Jharkhand also became the first woman IAF pilot from the state.
About Indian Air Force
- Founded: 8 October 1932
- Commander-in-Chief: President Ram Nath Kovind
- Chief of the Air Staff (CAS): Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Former basketball player, Lamar Odom launched a new book ‘Darkness to light’
- Former American professional basketball player, Lamar Odom, aged 39, launched a new book titled ‘Darkness to light’.
- The book reveals the dark secrets of his life. He is the ex-husband of Khloe Kardashian, an American media personality, socialite, model, businesswoman and entrepreneur.
- In his book, he has opened up about his relationship with ex-wife Khloe Kardashian, his difficult childhood, past overdoses and addictions to drugs, alcohol.
- As a member of the Los Angeles Lakers in the National Basketball Association (NBA), he won NBA championships in 2009 and 2010 and was named the NBA Sixth Man of the Year in 2011.
J80 World Championship
- Asian youth champion Dr. Rohini Rau to lead all women Indian team for the J80 World Championship to be staged in Bilbao, Spain, from July 13 to 20.
- The J80 is a modern sports boat with competition in open water, away from the protected environment of harbours and lakes.
Chelsea clinched the UEFA Europa League 2019 Cup
- Chelsea clinched the UEFA Europa League 2019 Cup. It scored four goals in a devastating second-half display to beat Arsenal 4-1 on 29 May at the Baku Olympic Stadium in Azerbaijan.
- It gave Italian manager Maurizio Sarri a major trophy in his first season in charge and Chelsea a first European title since the 2013 Europa League.
- The triumph in Baku means Chelsea have won three European titles in seven years, with the Champions League triumph in 2012 followed by their first Europa League victory in 2013.
- By contrast, Arsenal have lost five of their six major European finals, with their only victory coming in the 1994 Cup Winners’ Cup against Parma.
UEFA Europa League:
- Current champions: Chelsea
- It is an annual football club competition organised by UEFA since 1971 for eligible European football clubs.
- It is the second-tier competition of European club football, ranking below the UEFA Champions League.
May 29 – International Day of UN Peacekeepers
- The International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers, 29 May, offers a chance to pay tribute to the uniformed and civilians personnel’s invaluable contribution to the work of the Organization and to honour more than 3,800 peacekeepers who have lost their lives serving under the UN flag since 1948, including 98 last year.
- 2019 Theme: “Protecting Civilians, Protecting Peace”
About the United Nations:
- Headquarters: New York, USA
- Secretary-General: Antonio Guterres
May 29 – World Digestive Health Day (WDHD)
- Every 29th May, the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO), in collaboration with the WGO Foundation (WGOF), celebrates World Digestive Health Day (WDHD) and initiates a yearlong, worldwide, public health campaign through more than 110 WGO Member Societies.
- The theme for the World Digestive Health Day 2019 campaign is “Early Diagnosis and Treatment of GI Cancer”.
May 30 – World Multiple Sclerosis Day
- World MS Day is officially marked on 30 May each year.
- The 2019 campaign will be called ‘My Invisible MS’ (#MyInvisibleMS) and the theme is Visibility.
- In 2009, the MS International Federation (MSIF) and its members initiated the first World MS Day.
May 31 – World No Tobacco Day
- Every year, on 31 May, the World Health Organization (WHO) and global partners celebrate World No Tobacco Day (WNTD). The annual campaign is an opportunity to raise awareness on the harmful and deadly effects of tobacco use and second-hand smoke exposure, and to discourage the use of tobacco in any form.
- The focus of World No Tobacco Day 2019 is on “tobacco and lung health”
Most senior actor Carmine Caridi dies aged 85
- Carmine Caridi, known for roles in The Godfather franchise, has died at the age of 85. The veteran actor also appeared in the final part of “The Godfather” trilogy in a different role – Albert Volpe, an investor in Michael Corleone’s casinos who is killed in an attack at a hotel in Atlantic City.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.