Daily Current Affairs: May 5, 2022
Daily Current Affairs: May 5, 2022
Daily Current Affairs (May 5, 2022) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Rajasthan becomes the first Indian state to develop a 10 GW power capacity
- Rajasthan is fast emerging as the solar hub after becoming the first Indian state to develop a 10 GW power capacity.
- It has installed 5 GW of large-scale solar power in FY22 alone.
- It has a total of 32.5 GW of installed power capacity, with renewables contributing 55 per cent, followed by thermal energy at 43 per cent and nuclear energy making up for the remaining two per cent.
Union Minister Amit Shah lays the foundation stone of the Nrupathunga University in Bengaluru
- Union Home Minister Amit Shah laid the foundation stone of the Nrupathunga University in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- He also virtually inaugurated the Forensic Science Laboratory in Bellary, Bengaluru.
Telangana Government extends insurance coverage to handloom and power loom weavers under the ‘Nethanna Bima’ scheme
- Telangana Government has announced the extension of insurance coverage to handloom and power loom weavers under the ‘Nethanna Bima (Weaver’s Insurance) scheme.
- It has issued orders to extend the insurance coverage of ₹ 5 lakhs for weavers under the Nehtanna Bima scheme on par with farmers’ insurance scheme.
- This insurance coverage will be extended to weavers in the age group of 18 to 59
National Open Access Registry goes live successfully
- National Open Access Registry (NOAR) is a centralised online platform through which the short-term open access to the inter-state transmission system is being managed in India.
- NOAR has successfully gone live on 1 May 2022.
- It is an integrated platform accessible to all stakeholders in the power sector, including open access customers (both sellers and buyers), power traders, power exchanges, national/regional/state Load Despatch Centre (LDCs) and others.
- The National Load Despatch Centre (NLDC), operated by Power System Operation Corporation Limited (POSOCO), was designated as the nodal agency for the implementation and operation of NOAR.
India is the ‘Country of Honour’ at the Marche Du Film in 2022
- India will be the ‘official country of honour’ at the upcoming Marche’ Du Film 2022, organised alongside the 75th edition of the Cannes Film Festival in France.
- It is the first time the Marché du Film has an official country of honour and this special focus will continue annually with different nations in the spotlight at future editions.
- The ‘country of honour’ status ensures India’s presence as a focus country at the Marche Du Film in 2022.
IIT Bombay partners with the India Meteorological Department to develop user-friendly weather forecasting applications
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay has collaborated with the India Meteorological Department (IMD) under the Union Ministry of Earth Sciences)to develop climate solutions for stakeholders at the village, city and district levels.
- IIT Bombay, set up in 1958 as the second IIT in India, is recognised worldwide as a leader in the field of engineering education and research.
Banking and Economy
India’s services exports set a new record of $ 254.4 billion in FY 2021–22
- India’s services exports set a new record of $ 254.4 billion in the financial year 2021–22. This new record achieved in FY 2021–22 surpassed the previous high of $ 213.2 billion in FY 2019–20.
- India’s services exports hit an all-time monthly high of $ 26.9 billion in March 2022.
FidyPay partners with Yes Bank to drive financial inclusion
- FidyPay, a fintech platform, announced its partnership with Yes Bank to extend digital facilitation to a wide range of enterprises, including small and medium enterprises, fintech companies and startups.
- FidyPay will provide the customers of Yes Bank with a smooth connected banking experience as part of this partnership.
- FidyPay will also serve as a solution provider for Unified Payments Interface (UPI)
Alkesh Kumar Sharma assumes charge as the new Secretary of the Union Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology
- Alkesh Kumar Sharma assumed charge as the Secretary of the Union Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY).
- He is an Indian Administrative Services Officer of the 1990 batch from the Kerala cadre.
- He has earlier served as the Additional Secretary and Secretary in the Union Cabinet Secretariat under the Government of India.
Ranks and Indices
Calcutta University ranks first in the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings 2022
- The Times Higher Education (THE) has released the 2022 edition of its Impact Rankings, in which India was featured as the fourth most-represented nation, along with Turkey, with 64 universities.
- Calcutta University was ranked first among all the central and state-aided public universities in India in the Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Rankings 2022.
- Times Higher Education Impact Rankings assess the university’s impact on society through its contributions toward the United Nations sustainable development goals.
Ronnie O’Sullivan wins the World Snooker Championship 2022 title
- Ronnie O’Sullivan, an English professional snooker player, won a record seventh World Snooker Championship title, after he beat Judd Trump 18-13 in the finals.
- With this title, Ronnie O’Sullivan has equalled Stephen Hendry’s modern-day record of seven World Snooker Championship titles.
A stadium is set to be built in Neeraj Chopra’s native village in Haryana
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced that a stadium will be built in Olympic gold-medallist Neeraj Chopra’s native village in Panipat, Haryana. Indian javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra’s native village, Khandra, is in Panipat.
- Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian to win an Olympic gold medal in the track and field category.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of May 5, 2022, now from the link given below.