Daily Current Affairs : November 21, 22 & 23 2020
Daily Current Affairs (November 19 & 20, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 19 & 20, 2020 now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
National New Born Week- November (15-21):
- National New Born Week is observed every year from 15 to 21 November. The day is to reinforce the importance of new born health as a key priority area of the health sector and reduce the infant mortality rate by improving healthcare conditions for babies in the neonatal period.
- Theme: “Quality, Equity, Dignity for every new born at every health facility and everywhere”
World Antimicrobial Awareness Week- November (18-24):
- World Antimicrobial Awareness Week is observed every year from 18 to 24 November. It aims to create & increase awareness of Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) & to encourage best practices among people. The slogan for the campaign is Handle Antimicrobials with care.
- Theme: “United to preserve anti microbials”
World Children’s Day- November 20:
- World Children’s Day is celebrated on November 20 annually to promote international togetherness, awareness among children worldwide, and improving children’s welfare.
- The day also marks the anniversary of adoption of Declaration and Convention of the Rights of the Child.
- Theme: “Investing in our future means investing in our children”
World Fisheries Day- November 21:
- World Fisheries Day is celebrated on November 21 every year throughout the world by the fisher folk communities. It highlights the importance of healthy oceans ecosystems and to ensure sustainable stocks of fisheries in the world. This year is the fourth World Fisheries Day.
- Theme: “Social Responsibility in the fisheries value chain”
World Television Day- November 21:
- World Television Day is observed on November 21 every year. The day is a reminder of the power of visual media and how it helps in shaping public opinion and influencing world politics.
- First World Television Forum day was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in December 1996.
Longest migrating small bird Willow Warbler spotted in Punchakkari, Kerala:
- Willow warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus), one of longest migrating small bird which breeds throughout northern and temperate Europe and the Palearctic, sighted for the first time in the country at Punchakkari, Kerala. Warblers are generally difficult to identify.
- The bird was spotted by Nirmal George, Associate Professor in Pharmacology, and Programme officer of the National Service Scheme of Sree Gokulam Medical College and Research Foundation, Venjaramoodu, in the capital district.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan.
Maharashtra government to pay a monthly stipend to ST candidates preparing for UPSC exams:
- Maharashtra government has decided to pay a stipend to scheduled Tribe (ST) candidates who are preparing for UPSC exams. The scheme stipend will be given to candidates who will appear for the Civil Services main exam and interview.
- Under this scheme, each candidate will be provided 12,000 per month. Additionally, Rs. 26,000 will also be provided to the candidate for purchasing books.
- Capital: Mumbai.
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray.
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari.
Madhya Pradesh Conducts ‘Poshit Parivar-Suposhit Madhya Pradesh’ Campaign in All Districts:
- Madhya Pradesh community-based nutrition management programme of very severely malnourished children is being conducted in all districts under the nurtured families well nurtured Madhya Pradesh i.e. ‘Poshit Parivar-Suposhit Madhya Pradesh’ campaign.
- Under this campaign, very serious malnourished children are identified and after 12 weeks or 3 months of continuous effort after their registration, they are brought to normal nutrition level.
- Capital: Bhopal
- Chief Minister: Shivraj Singh Chauhan
- Governor: Anandiben Patel (Additional Charge).
World Bank Approves $120 Million loans for the implementation of Meghalaya Integrated Transport Project (MITP):
- World Bank has signed a $120-million project “Restart Meghalaya Mission” to improve and modernize the transport sector of Meghalaya. This will help Meghalaya to harness its vast growth potential for high-value agriculture and tourism.
- The $120 million loans from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), has a maturity of 14 years including a grace period of six years. IBRD is a development bank administered by World Bank.
Rajasthan CM Ashok Gehlot launches “Indira Gandhi Matritva Poshan Yojana” scheme for nourishment of pregnant tribal women:
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot launched Indira Gandhi Matritva Poshan Yojana, under which ₹6000 will be given to women becoming mothers for the 2nd time On the birth anniversary of former PM Indira Gandhi. It aims to fight malnutrition & help increase nutrition levels in women.
- This imperative scheme will not only reduce malnutrition in mothers and children but will also increase awareness amongst the people in regard to the importance of mother’s health and her nutrition level for proper development of children.
- Capital: Jaipur
- Chief Minister: Ashok Gehlot
- Governor: Kalraj Mishra.
Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad virtually releases “My Stamp on Chhath Puja”:
- Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad released a “My Stamp on Chhath Puja”. My Stamp is an innovative concept initiated by the Department of Posts. Any common person or corporate organisation can now book order and get a personalised photograph or an image of a Postage Stamp.
- My Stamp on Chhath Puja is available in all Philatelic bureaus and major post offices across the country. A special cover on the theme ‘Chhath-A symbol of Simplicity and Cleanliness’ was also released.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Bhutanese PM Tshering jointly launch RuPay card Phase-II:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi along with his Bhutanese counterpart Lotay Tshering launched RuPay card Phase-II that will allow Bhutanese card holders to access the RuPay network in India.
- The implementation of Phase-I of RuPay cards in Bhutan has enabled the visitors from India to access ATMs and Point of Sale (PoS) terminals across Bhutan. Phase-I was launched in August 2019.
India and Thailand Navies Jointly Patrol (CORPAT) to Stop Maritime Terrorism:
- The 30th edition of India-Thailand Coordinated Patrol (Indo-Thai CORPAT) held between the Indian Navy and the Royal Thai Navy.
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Karmuk, an indigenously built Missile Corvette and His Majesty’s Thailand Ship (HTMS) Kraburi, a Chao Phraya Class Frigate along with Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft from both the navies are participating in the CORPAT.
PM Modi virtually attends G-20 Leaders Summit in Saudi Arabia:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be attending the 15th G-20 Leaders Summit at the invitation of the King of Saudi Arabia. The summit is being chaired by Saudi Arabia in a virtual format under the theme – “Realising the Opportunities of the 21st Century for All”.
India and Australia sign pact on cyber tech to ensure free and secure Internet:
- India and Australia have inked a pact on cyber affairs and critical technology. Both countries will invest $12.7 million in various technologies such as artificial intelligence, quantum computing and robotics for the next four years.
- Australia and India have unlimited possibilities of working together in space research, critical minerals, 5G, AI, quantum computing, and more. Around 25 countries, under a single group called the ‘Global Innovation Alliance’ came online to attend the Bengaluru Tech Summit.
Government of India and NDB Sign Agreement for USD 500 Million for Public Transport System in NCR:
- New Development Bank (NDB) has approved a USD $500 million loan fund for the Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) project to further improve the public transport system and ease the national capital area.
- Ministry of Urban Affairs, Ministry of Finance, National Capital Region Transportation Corporation (NCRTC) and multilateral banks signed loan agreements.
Green Climate Fund approves USD 256 million for Bangladesh:
- Green Climate Fund has approved dollar 256 million for Bangladesh in grants and loan to meet its Green House Gas (GHG) emission reduction targets under the Paris agreement.
- The financing is provided as an integrated package for textile and Ready Made Garments (RMG) sectors of Bangladesh are the largest industrial contributors in carbon emission.
- Bangladesh is committed to reduce its GHG emission by 15 percent compared to business-as-usual scenario by 2030.
Banking and Economy
RBI restricts withdrawals from Jalna-based Mantha Urban Coop Bank for 6 months:
- Reserve Bank of India has imposed restrictions on withdrawals from Maharashtra-based Mantha Urban Cooperative Bank for six months.
- RBI has imposed monetary penalty of Rs 20 lakh on Bengaluru-based Shushruati Souharda Sahakara Bank Niyamita for deficiencies in regulatory compliance. It also imposed a penalty of Rs 1 lakh on The Deccan Urban Co-operative Bank, Vijayapura, Karnataka, for contravention of the directions issued by it on prohibition of loans and advances to directors.
Kotak Mahindra Mutual Fund launches “Kotak ESG Opportunities Fund”:
- Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company Limited (KMAMC) announced the launch of ‘Kotak ESG Opportunities Fund’. It will focus on Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) factors and the Principles for Responsible Investing (PRI).
- KMAMC is the first asset management company to sign the United Nation’s Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI), leading the narrative of responsible investing in India.
ICICI Bank Partners with Pine Labs to launch ‘ICICI Bank Cardless EMI’:
- Private lender ICICI Bank has launched a fully digital mode of payment at leading retail stores. Titled as ‘ICICI Bank Cardless EMI’ (Equated Monthly Instalments), the facility will help lakhs of its pre-approved customers in buying their favourite gadgets or home appliances with the help of their mobile phone and PAN (Permanent Account Number).
- Buyers can simply convert the high-value transactions into easy, no-cost monthly instalments by furnishing their registered mobile number, PAN and OTP on the PoS machine at the retail outlets. ICICI Bank is the first lender in India to introduce a fully digital, cardless EMI facility at retail stores.
Science and Technology
NASSCOM Launches FutureSkills PRIME Beta Platform to Enhance India’s Digital Talent:
- National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has launched FutureSkills PRIME Beta Platform to foster an ecosystem that enhances India’s digital talent with the right set of skills. It is a digital learning platform to enhance India’s digital talents.
- FutureSkills PRIME, a robust online platform will encourage remote and self-paced online learning.
Jitan Ram Manjhi becomes Protem Speaker of Bihar Legislative Assembly:
- Former CM of Bihar and National President of Hindustan Awam Morcha (HAM), Jitan Ram Manjhi was sworn in as Protem Speaker of the newly elected 17th Bihar Legislative Assembly.
- He will run the House as the Protem Speaker till the election of the Speaker of the Assembly. He has been assigned this responsibility for the first session of the 17th Assembly.
Acquisitions and Mergers
USAID Partners with Mastercard to launch “Project Kirana” to empower women through financial inclusion:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Mastercard have collaborated under Women’s Global Development and Prosperity Initiative (W-GDP) to launch ‘Project Kirana’, to help women entrepreneurs grow and thrive.
- Project Kirana is a two year programme, and initially it will be rolled out in select cities of Uttar Pradesh, including Lucknow, Kanpur and Varanasi.
IBM to Acquire Solution Provider TruQua in SAP Channel Play:
- IBM has reached a definitive agreement to acquire Chicago-based TruQua Enterprises, LLC, an IT services and consulting SAP development partner that specializes in delivering finance and analytics solutions to Fortune 500 companies.
- TruQua works with customers’ CFOs and controllers to help them implement and optimize financial-focused technology.
Awards and Recognitions
Scottish author Douglas Stuart wins Booker Prize for ‘Shuggie Bain’:
- Scottish author Douglas Stuart was awarded the 2020 Booker Prize for his acclaimed debut novel “Shuggie Bain”.
- The book based on his own childhood, tells of a young boy growing up during tough years in Glasgow with a mother who is battling addiction.
- Man Booker Prize is a literary prize awarded each year for the best original novel written in the English language and published in the United Kingdom.
Bish Agrawal has been awarded the AESC Lifetime Achievement Award 2020:
- Chairman of Accord Group India Bish Agrawal, has been awarded the AESC Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. He is the first Asian to receive this recognition. He was honoured AESC Global Conference that was held virtually.
- Principal and Founder of Carrington & Carrington Willie E. Carrington and CEO of Kincentric Kevin M. Connelly, A Spencer Stuart Company also won the 2020 AESC Lifetime Achievement Award.
Adam Yao Liu Won the Exim Bank’s BRICS Economic Research Award 2020 for his PhD Dissertation:
- Dr. Adam Yao Liu, a political scientist trained at Stanford University, won the Export-Import Bank of India’s (India Exim Bank’s) BRICS Economic Research Award 2020 for his for his Ph.D. dissertation, “Building Markets within Authoritarian Institutions: The Political Economy of Banking Development in China.”
Books and Authors
Rajnath Singh and Prakash Javadeker releases selected speeches of President Ram Nath Kovind:
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh along with Prakash Javadeker released the third volume of the selected speeches of President Ram Nath Kovind titled ‘Loktantra Ke Swar’ and ‘The Republican Ethic Volume III’.
- These books are the comprehensive picture of his work, personality and values and comprises speeches on the country’s efforts to fight COVID19, bravely defending its borders, his concern towards issues such as girl’s education, empowerment of women and welfare of the weaker sections among other important aspects.
A book titled ‘Reporting India: My Seventy Year Journey as a Journalist’ authored by Prem Prakash:
- Veteran Journalist Prem Prakash recently launched his book titled ‘Reporting India: My Seventy Year Journey as a Journalist’. It accounts the life of the author who is a pioneer in Indian Journalism. He is currently the chairman of Asian News International. The book will be published by Penguin Random House India.
National Cadet Corps to celebrate its 72nd Raising Day- November 22:
- National Cadet Corps (NCC), the largest uniformed youth organisation in the world celebrated its 72nd Raising Day.
- The raising day function was marked by paying homage at the National War Memorial to the fallen heroes who made the supreme sacrifice of their lives.
- Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar and DG NCC Lt. Gen Rajeev Chopra laid wreaths on behalf of the entire NCC fraternity.
Karnataka Bio Economy Report details plans to achieve $50 billion revenue by 2025:
- Karnataka has set a target of raising the state’s Bio-economy share to 50% of the national Bio-economy revenue target of $100 billion by 2025.
- The state government currently contributes one third of the country’s bio-economy and the value of the market stood at $22.6 billion in 2019-20.
- The state government witnessed 17% growth in its bio economy in FY20 and if the industry continues to grow 14-15% the state can achieve nearly $42 billion and the state expects to see higher growth.
First Leg of Kochi-Bengaluru GAIL Pipeline to Be Ready by January 2021:
- National gas major Gail (India) Limited has completed the Kochi-Mangalore gas pipeline after long delays, is hopeful of completing the first leg of the Kochi-Bengaluru line in January 2021.
- The first leg of the 620-kilometre Kochi-Bengaluru gas pipeline begins from Kuttanad in Palakkad and extends up to Valayar, which is on the Kerala-Tamil Nadu border. The work on this 95-km line is progressing at a frenetic pace.
Jharkhand State Assembly passes resolution on ‘Sarna Code’:
- Jharkhand Assembly passed a resolution for the provision of a separate ‘Sarna Code’ for Tribals. The resolution will seek a special column for followers of the ‘Sarna’ religion in the Census 2021. ‘Sarna’ followers are nature worshippers.
Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit promulgates ordinance banning online gambling games:
- Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit has promulgated an ordinance banning online Rummy, similar games that promote online gambling, and also levies fines, jail term for violators.
- The ordinance provides for banning “Electronic Transfer of Funds” for wagering or betting, distributing the winnings or prize money, providing for the levy of a ₹5,000 fine and six months’ imprisonment for those found to be engaging in it.
India Has Set Target of Cutting Carbon Footprint by 30-35%:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi stated that India has set a target of reducing the carbon footprint by 30 to 35 per cent.
- He made the statement while addressing the convocation ceremony of Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) here through video conference.
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan addresses Boston Center of Excellence for Health & Human Development:
- Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan virtually addressed Boston Center of Excellence for Health & Human Development. He congratulated the Boston Center of Excellence for Health & Human Development for bringing together experts to research better cure & healthcare.
- He stated currently the world is ‘living in a phase of a silent war’. Speaking further during the meeting, Harsh Vardhan compared COVID-19 to a transitory state of India’s civilization.
Ministry of Tourism organises webinar on “India’s Hidden Gems” under Dekho Apna Desh Webinar Series:
- Ministry of Tourism’s Dekho Apna Desh Webinar series titled “India’s Hidden Gems” focused on hidden gems of India. India is truly like a kaleidoscope, where every twist and turn will present you with a different pattern of landscape, colour, cuisine and culture.
- This also inspires the spirit of Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat. The best way to experience this is by traveling to destinations that are not popular on the internet, and as much as you can, by road.
PM Narendra Modi lays foundation stone of rural drinking water supply projects worth Rs 5,555 crore in Uttar Pradesh:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of Rural Drinking Water supply projects worth Rs 5,555.38 crore in Mirzapur and Sonbhadra districts of Vindhyachal region of Uttar Pradesh.
- The projects will reportedly provide household tap water connections in all rural households of 2,995 villages and will benefit about 42 lakh population of these districts. The projects are planned to be completed in 24 months.
India, Singapore, Thailand Naval Exercise “SITMEX 2020” Begins in Andaman Sea:
- A trilateral naval exercise “SITMEX-2020” involving India, Singapore and Thailand commenced in the Andaman Sea. The 2-day long exercise is scheduled in a “non-contact, at sea only format”, involving a war-at-sea exercise, naval manoeuvres among others.
- Indian Navy Ships including indigenously built ASW corvette Kamorta and missile corvette Karmuk are participating in the 2nd edition of SITMEX-20.
India to host G20 Summit in 2023, after 2022 meeting in Indonesia:
- India which was earlier scheduled to host the G20 Summit in 2022 coinciding with 75th anniversary of Indian independence will now host the Summit in 2023 & swapped the Group’s Presidency with Indonesia. Italy will host G20 summit in 2021 and Brazil in 2024.
ADB approves $50 mn loan to improve resource planning in West Bengal:
- Asian Development Bank has approved a USD 50 million loan to improve operational efficiencies and resource planning and management in West Bengal. Loan will support the integration of financial and information system and the expansion of automation reforms.
- The loan will be supplemented by a USD 350,000 technical assistance grant for capacity building, monitoring of IFMS (Integrated Financial Management System) reforms, and strengthening the integration of social and gender aspects in reform areas.
Banking and Economy
RBI panel proposes to raise promoters cap to 26% in private banks:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) panel has recommended raising the cap on promoter shareholding in private sector banks from 15 % to 26 % of the paid up equity after 15 years of operation. The minimum initial capital requirement for licensing new banks to be enhanced from ₹500 cr to ₹1,000 cr.
- The panel has also proposed that large corporates may be permitted to promote banks after necessary amendments to the Banking Regulations Act.
LIC of India launches “ANANDA” a first digital application tool for agents:
- Life Insurance Corporation of India launched its first digital application, “ANANDA”, an acronym for Atma Nirbhar Agents New Business Digital Application.
- The Digital application is a tool for the on boarding process to get the Life Insurance policy through a Paperless module with the help of the Agent / Intermediary. It is built on paperless KYC process using Aadhaar based e-authentication of the Life Proposed.
Acquisitions and Mergers
SBI signs MoU with Luxembourg Stock exchange to promote green finance:
- India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Luxembourg Stock Exchange (LuxSe).
- The MoU will help SBI and LuxSE to set up a long-term cooperation mechanism and promote ESG (Environmental, Social, and Corporate Governance) and green finance. It will open up new avenues for market development and fundraising.
Bharti Airtel to acquire 5.2% stake in Avaada MHBuldhana for Rs 4.55 crore:
- Bharti Airtel will acquire 5.2 per cent stake in solar power company Avaada MHBuldhana for Rs 4.55 crore in an all-cash deal.
- Avaada MHBuldhana Private Limited is a newly-formed company and developing a captive generating solar power plant in Maharashtra which will become operational by March 2021. It is a subsidiary of Avaada Energy Private Limited (AEPL).
Indian Oil signed MoU with MoPNG for upcoming Compressed Bio-Gas Plants:
- Indian Oil R&D Centre has developed robust technology on Bio-methanation and has signed MoU with the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas (MoPNG), Government of India as a technology provider for the upcoming CBG Plants.
- Production of CBG would increase the green energy mix, reduce import dependence, create employment & reduce pollution.
- Indian Oil is the first company to market Compressed Bio-Gas from 10 retail outlets spread across Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, and Gujarat, under the brand name Indi Green.
FICCI FLO inks pact with IESC, IIM Shillong to mentor women entrepreneurs:
- FLO, the women wing of the Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) has signed an agreement with Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Shillong and Incubation and Enterprise Support Centre (IESC) to mentor entrepreneurs.
- The MoU will provide guidance and mentor entrepreneurs by facilitating a nurturing, instructive and supportive environment during the initial and critical stages of starting a business, thus enabling them to reduce the initial start-up costs and establish themselves in a shorter timeframe, according to a statement.
Canara Bank, Axis Bank, Indian Bank, and South Indian Bank acquire 6.67% stake each in IBBIC:
- Canara Bank, Axis Bank, Indian Bank and South Indian Bank have acquired 6.67 per cent stake each in financial technology firm IBBIC with an objective of providing a platform for exploring, building and implementing Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) solutions for the Indian financial services sector.
- All these banks have acquired 6.67 per cent stake each (representing 50,000 equity shares) in IBBIC for a cash consideration of Rs 5 lakh.
Science and Technology
NASA, US and European Partners Launches Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich satellite Mission to Monitor Global Ocean:
- SpaceX, NASA, ESA successfully launched Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich mission. Sentinel-6a will be the first of two identical satellites, the second to be launched in five years, that will provide measurements of unprecedented precision until at least 2030.
- The joint US-European satellite lifted off on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket from Space Launch Complex 4E at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. It will help to enhance weather forecasts and provide detailed information on large-scale ocean currents to support ship navigation near coastlines.
Indian Oil corporation limited successfully tests ‘zero-emission e-mobility’:
- Indian Oil Corporation Ltd has successfully conducted a ‘Proof of Concept’ feasibility study on ‘zero-emission electric mobility’ at one of its fuel stations in Bengaluru. And also, Oil India Limited (OIL) launched Rs 220 crore seismic survey programme at Kakatpur in Puri District, Odisha in the Mahanadi Basin (Onland) as a part of the National Seismic Programme (NSP).
- A company statement said that Zero-Emission Electric Mobility is a concept that allows the electric vehicle (EV) to charge using solar power and ensuring zero emissions.
Joe Biden appoints Indian-American Mala Adiga as policy director of incoming First Lady:
- US President-elect Joe Biden has appointed Indian-American Mala Adiga as the policy director of his wife Jill, choosing an experienced education policy hand as the incoming First Lady focuses on education and plans to continue teaching community college classes.
- Adiga was a senior adviser to Jill and senior policy adviser for Biden’s 2020 campaign. She previously worked for the Biden Foundation as director for higher education and military families.
India’s CAG Murmu elected as External Auditor of Inter Parliamentary Union, Geneva:
- Comptroller & Auditor General (CAG) of India, Girish Chandra Murmu has been elected as External Auditor of Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU), Geneva for a three-year term.
- The election took place at the virtual meeting of the 284th session of the IPU which is a 179 countries Parliamentarians body. It has a permanent observer status at the United Nations General Assembly.
Achyuta Samanta elected President of Volleyball Federation of India:
- Kandhamal MP and founder of KIIT and KISS, Achyuta Samanta was on Sunday felicitated by different sports association and organization for being elected as the President of Volleyball Federation of India.
- The post was unopposed and by virtue of which he has become the member of Indian Olympic Association, the apex body for sports in India.
Awards and Recognitions
Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal awarded with Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award:
- Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has been awarded the Vatayan Lifetime Achievement Award.
- The education minister has been a recipient of many respected awards in the field of Literature and Administration including the Sahitya Bharati Award by the then Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Sahitya Gaurav Samman by Former President APJ Abdul Kalam, among others.
Naseeruddin Shah honoured with Aditya Vikram Birla Kalashikhar Puraskar:
Veteran actor Naseeruddin Shah has been honoured with the 2020 Aditya Vikram Birla Kalashikhar Puraskar at annual Sangit Kala Kendra Awards.
Two emerging stars, in the firmament of theatrics – Neel Choudhary and Irawati Karnik were awarded the Aditya Vikram Birla Kalakiran Puraskars. “Theatre” is the central theme, for this year’s awards.
Three Indian Writers Feature in 2020 ‘100 Notable Books’ Selected by ‘The New York Times’:
- Critically-acclaimed books by three Indian writers have featured among this year’s ‘100 Notable Books’ list of The New York Times that also includes former US president Barack Obama’s newly released memoir ‘A Promised Land’.
- ‘A Burning’ by Megha Majumdar.
- ‘Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line’ by Deepa Anappara.
- ‘A Dominant Character: The Radical Science and Restless Politics of J.B.S. Haldane’ by Samanth Subramanian.
Queen Mother of Bhutan and HelpAge India receive 2020 UN Population Award:
- Queen Mother of Bhutan Gyalyum Sangay Choden Wangchuck was announced as the individual laureate for the 2020 United Nations Population Award. HelpAge India was announced as the award’s institutional laureate.
- HelpAge India won the award for its contribution towards the disadvantaged elderly people in India and raising awareness on the cause of the elderly.
India becomes 4th nation to have navigation satellite system as IRNSS Gets IMO Recognition:
- India has become the 4th country in the world to have its Independent Regional Navigation Satellite System recognized by International Maritime Organisation (IMO) as a part of World Wide Radio Navigation System. other three countries are US, Russia & China
- Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) has been recognised by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) as a part of the World Wide Radio Navigation System (WWRNS) for operation in the Indian Ocean Region.
IIT Delhi tops among Indian institutes in Global Employability Ranking & Survey 2020:
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi is the country’s most employable university, according to the Global Employability Ranking and Survey (GEURS) 2020 results. India has secured 15th place, improving from its 23rd rank in 2010.
- The other Indian institutes that secured positions in the list are IIT Bombay (128), Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad (184), IIT Kharagpur (195), and Amity University (236).
Hong Kong, Zurich, and Paris most expensive cities in EIU’s Worldwide Cost of Living (WCOL) Index 2020:
- Hong Kong (China), Paris (France) and Zurich (Switzerland) share the top spot as the most expensive cities in the list, which comprises of 133 cities. Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has released its biannual ‘Worldwide Cost of Living (WCOL)’ report of the World’s Most Expensive Cities in 2020, based on their cost of living.
- Damascus (Syria), Taskent (Uzbekistan), Lusaka (Zambia) ranked the last three spot as the cheapest cities in the list, which comprises of 133 cities.
Sahitya Academy recipient Bangla poet Alokeranjan Dasgupta passes away at 87:
- Sahitya Academy award winner Bengali poet Alokeranjan Dasgupta has passed away at his residence in Germany. He was awarded Ananda Purashkar in 1985, Rabindra Puraskar in 1987 & Pravasi Bharatiya Samman 2005 & won the Sahitya Award for his Marami Korat book of poems.
Former chairman of L&T Finance YM Deosthalee passed away at 74:
- M Deosthalee, former chairman of L&T Finance Holdings, has died in Mumbai. He is a qualified chartered accountant and holds a degree in law.
- He joined L&T in 1974 & was instrumental in setting up L&T Finance, a wholly-owned subsidiary.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of November 21, 22 & 23, 2020 now from the link given below.
Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 21, 2020
Daily Current Affairs Quiz – November 22 & 23, 2020
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.