Daily Current Affairs: October 16, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (October 16, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
International Day for Rural Women – 15 October
- International Day for Rural Women is observed every year on 15 October. This day focuses on gender equality and empowering women in rural areas. This day was established by the United Nations General Assembly on 18 December 2007.
- The theme of International Day for Rural Women for 2021 is “Rural women cultivating good food for all”.
World Food Day – 16 October
- World Food Day is celebrated every year on 16 October to commemorate the date (16 October) of the founding of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization in 1945.
- The theme of World Food Day for 2021 is “Safe food now for a healthy tomorrow”.
National Security Guard celebrates its 37th Raising Day
- National Security Guard (NSG) is celebrates its raising day on 16 October every year. This year (2021) marks the 37th anniversary of the establishment of the NSG. It is popularly known as Black Cats.
Union Minister Anurag Thakur launches the ‘MyParkings app’ to book parking slots online in Delhi
- Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting Anurag Thakur has launched MyParkings app in New Delhi. This application will also help reduce pollution from vehicles by minimising the time spent searching for parking spots.
- This application was developed by Broadcast Engineering Consultants India Limited (BECIL) with South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) with the purpose to digitise all authorised parking under the civic body’s municipal limits.
Kullu Dussehra festival was celebrated in Himachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh Governor Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar inaugurated the Dussehra festival in Kullu, Himachal Pradesh.
- The traditional weeklong Kullu Dussehra festival has begun in Kullu after rolling out of the chariot of Lord Raghunath at Dhalpur Dussehra ground.
- Capital: Shimla (Summer), Dharamshala (Winter)
- Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
- Governor: Rajendra Vishwanath Arlekar
- National Parks: Inderkila National Park, Simbalbara National Park, Great Himalayan National Park, Pin Valley National Park, Khirganga National Park
India and Sri Lanka hold the 8th edition of ‘MITRA SHAKTI’ joint military exercise in Sri Lanka
- The 8th edition of the joint military exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ was held between the Indian Army and the Sri Lankan Army in Ampara, Sri Lanka. This military exercise will further promote synergy and interoperability amongst the two-armed forces besides further strengthening the bilateral ties.
- Capital: Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
- Currency: Rupee
- Prime Minister: Mahinda Rajapaksa
- President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa
India gifts ambulance and medical supplies to Kumudini Hospital in Bangladesh
- The High Commissioner of India to Bangladesh Vikram Doraiswami handed over a life support ambulance and essential medical supplies to the Kumudini Hospital in Mirzapur, Bangladesh.
- He handed over the ambulance, oxygen cylinders respiratory support equipment,, to the Managing Director of the Kumudini Welfare Trust Rajiv Prasad Shaha.
- The ambulance is part of the overall programme for the supply of 109 life support ambulances, announced by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Bangladesh.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- President: Abdul Hamid
RBI approves the reappointment of Amitabh Chaudhry as MD & CEO of Axis Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the reappointment of Amitabh Chaudhry as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Axis Bank for another three years, with effect from 1 January 2022 to 31 December 2024.
- His tenure as the MD and CEO of the Axis Bank begun on 1 January 2019 and was scheduled to expire on 31 December 2021.
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- MD & CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry
- Tagline: Badhti Ka Naam Zindagi
RBI approves Pankaj Kumar Panja as Non-executive Chairman of the Karnataka Bank
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has approved the appointment of Pankaj Kumar Panja as part-time Chairman of the Karnataka Bank for a period of three years, with effect from November 2021.
IndusInd Bank appoints Gobind Jain as its new CFO
- Gobind Jain was appointed as the new Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of IndusInd Bank. He succeeded SV Zaregaonkar, who resigned recently.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Accenture is set to acquire Bengaluru-based AI and analytics startup BRIDGEi2i
- IT services company Accenture will acquire Bengaluru-based artificial intelligence and analytics company BRIDGEi2i to expand its capabilities in data science, machine learning and AI-powered insights.
Awards and Recognitions
WHO Director-General Bestows Posthumous Award was awarded to late Henrietta Lacks
- The Chief of the World Health Organisation (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus honored the late Henrietta Lacks with a WHO Bestows Posthumous Award.
- Henrietta Lacks is an American woman whose cancer cells were taken without her knowledge during the 1950s.
Reliance Industries tops Indian firms in the Forbes World’s Top 100 Best Employers list
- Reliance Industries Limited has topped the Indian corporates in the World’s Best Employers rankings 2021, published by Forbes. Reliance was placed at 52 in the overall ranking of 750 global corporates likes Phillips, Sanofi, Pfizer and Intel.
- The global ranking was topped by South Korean giant Samsung Electronics followed by US giants IBM, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Alphabet and Dell Technologies. China’s Huawei was placed as the 8th best employer in the world.
Chennai Super Kings beats Kolkata Knight Riders to win its 4th IPL title
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) beat Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) by 27 runs to win its fourth IPL (Indian Premier League) title in Dubai. MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings (CSK) lift the IPL trophy for the fourth time, having previously won the tournament in 2010, 2011 and 2018. Faf du Plessis won the Man of the Match award in the 2021 IPL finals.
- Ruturaj Gaikwad won the Orange Cap for scoring the highest run with 635 runs from 16 matches in this edition (2021) of IPL.
- Harshal Patel from RCB won the Purple Cap for 32 wickets in 15 games in this IPL season.
Daily CA- 16 October One Liners
|International Day for Rural Women – 15 October|
|World Food Day – 16 October|
|National Security Guard celebrates its 37th Raising Day|
|Union Minister Anurag Thakur launches the ‘MyParkings app’ to book parking slots online in Delhi|
|Kullu Dussehra festival was celebrated in Himachal Pradesh|
|India and Sri Lanka hold the 8th edition of ‘MITRA SHAKTI’ joint military exercise in Sri Lanka|
|India gifts ambulance and medical supplies to Kumudini Hospital in Bangladesh|
|RBI approves the reappointment of Amitabh Chaudhry as MD & CEO of Axis Bank|
|RBI approves Pankaj Kumar Panja as Non-executive Chairman of the Karnataka Bank|
|IndusInd Bank appoints Gobind Jain as its new CFO|
|Accenture is set to acquires Bengaluru-based AI and analytics startup BRIDGEi2i|
|WHO Director-General Bestows Posthumous Award was awarded to late Henrietta Lacks|
|Reliance Industries tops Indian firms in the Forbes World’s Top 100 Best Employers list|
|Chennai Super Kings beats Kolkata Knight Riders to win its 4th IPL title|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 16, 2021, now from the link given below.