Daily Current Affairs: October 17 & 18, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (October 17 & 18, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Also, Don’t forget to attend the Daily Current Affairs Quiz – October 17 & 18, 2021, now @ our Bankersdaily Tests.
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty – 17 October
- The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed every year on 17 October to raise awareness about the struggles of people living in poverty.
- This day provides an opportunity to express their concerns and remind everyone that they are the ones who will have to fight poverty first.
Nirmala Sitharaman chairs the eighth ministerial meeting of the India–USA Economic and Financial Partnership Dialogue
- The eighth ministerial meeting of the India–USA Economic and Financial Partnership Dialogue, chaired by the Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman and the US Treasury Secretary Dr. Janet Yellen, was held in Washington D.C.
- Discussions on various topics were held at the event, including the macroeconomic outlook and recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, financial regulatory and technical collaboration, multilateral engagement, climate finance and anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT).
Union Finance Minister virtually attends the plenary meeting of the International Monetary and Financial Committee (IMFC)
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman virtually attended the plenary meeting of the International Monetary and Financial Committee (IFMC) of the Board of Governors of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) held in Washington D.C., the United States.
- The discussions at this meeting were based on ‘vaccinate, calibrate and accelerate’, which is the theme of the IMFs Managing Director’s Global Policy Agenda.
- Union Finance Minister urged for greater equity in vaccine access and affordability for a faster exit towards recovery and growth.
- The IMFC welcomed the new Special Drawing Rights (SDR) allocation of reserve assets of the IMF, $650 billion of which were newly created in 2021.
Banking & Economy
SEBI constitutes a four-member committee on settlement orders and compounding of offences
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has constituted a four-member high powered advisory committee chaired by the retired judge of the High Court of Bombay Vijay C. Daga on settlement orders and compounding of offences.
- This committee will work as per the Settlement Proceedings Regulations, 2018, specified by the SEBI.
- A settlement mechanism is a tool for ensuring speedy and efficient resolution of disputes.
- The time limit for filing settlement applications should be reduced from 180 to 60 days.
Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI)
- Headquarter: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
- Founded: 12 April 1992
Ritesh Chauhan was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
- Ritesh Chauhan was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana and the Joint Secretary of Agriculture under the Department of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, whereas Meera Mohanty was appointed as the Joint Secretary in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana
- Launched on: 18 February 2016
- Launched by: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
Justice Sivakumar was appointed as the Chairperson of Tamil Nadu SC/ST Commission
- Former Madras High Court Judge Justice Sivakumar was appointed as the Chairperson of the newly constituted state commission for SCs/STs of Tamil Nadu.
- This commission will suggest appropriate legal and welfare measures to be undertaken by the Tamil Nadu Government for the upliftment of people belonging to the scheduled castes and the scheduled tribes.
Jonas Gahr Stoere becomes the new Prime Minister of Norway
- Jonas Gahr Stoere became the new Prime Minister of Norway and succeeded Erna Solberg after she submitted her resignation.
- Emilie Enger Mehl became the youngest Justice Minister of Norway at the age of 28, while the Foreign Minister portfolio went to another woman — Anniken Scharning Huitfeldt.
- Capital: Oslo
- Currency: Norwegian Krone
India clinches the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship for the eighth time in 2021
- India clinched the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship for the eighth time in 2021 defeating Nepal. This match was held at the National Football Stadium in Male, Maldives.
- Goals from Sunil Chhetri, Suresh Singh and Sahal Abdul Samad scored in the second half helped the Indian national football team (Blue Tigers) win.
- This is the Indian football team’s first title victory under head coach Igor Stimac.
Russia and China hold naval exercise ‘Joint Sea 2021’ in the Sea of Japan
- A joint naval exercise named ‘Joint Sea 2021’ was held between Russia and China from 14–17 October in the Sea of Japan.
- This joint naval drill would encompass communications, joint manoeuvering and firing on seaborne targets, anti-air, anti-mine and anti-submarine operations, joint manoeuvering and firing on seaborne targets.
- The combined force would practise shooting at targets that resembled enemy surface ships and conduct air defence drills with Russian SU-30SM multi-functional fighter jets and helicopters.
Five-day Naval Commanders Conference begins in New Delhi
- Union Defence Minister Rajnath Singh addressed the second edition of the five-day Naval Commanders Conference in New Delhi amid increased security worries in the aftermath of the changes in the government of Afghanistan and the ongoing unrest on both the northern and western frontiers of India.
- The commanders will review major operational, materiel, logistics, human resource development, training and administrative activities undertaken by the Indian Navy in the last few months and deliberate upon future plans for important activities and initiatives.
Science and Technology
NASA launches the first space probe to study the Trojan asteroids of Jupiter
- NASA launched the first space mission Lucy spacecraft, to study the Trojans asteroids.
- The Trojan asteroids of Jupiter are leftover raw materials from the formation of our solar system’s giant planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune) over 4.5 billion years ago.
- Lucy spacecraft mission is a 12-year expedition to study a record number of asteroids.
- It will be the first to explore the Trojan asteroids, thousands of rocky objects orbiting the sun in two swarms — one ahead of the path of the giant gas planet Jupiter and one behind it.
- Headquarters: Washington D.C., United States
- Formed: 29 July 1958
China launches its first solar exploration satellite
- China launched its first solar exploration satellite aboard a Long March-2D rocket into space from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi Province.
- Using the same carrier rocket, ten tiny satellites were launched into space, including an orbital atmospheric density detection experimental satellite and a commercial meteorological detection constellation experimental satellite.
- It was the 391st flight mission of the Long March carrier rocket series.
- Capital: Beijing
- Currency: Renminbi
- President: Xi Jinping
Former international hockey player Saranjeet Singh passed away
- Former international hockey player Saranjeet Singh passed away at the age of 59.
- He was a former State Bank of India hockey player who played for Coronation Club in the local league, for Hyderabad juniors and seniors for many years in the late 1970s and 1980s, and for India in their 1983 tour of Germany.
Daily CA- 17 & 18 October One Liners
|International Day for the Eradication of Poverty – 17 October|
|Nirmala Sitharaman chairs the eighth ministerial meeting of the India–USA Economic and Financial Partnership Dialogue|
|Union Finance Minister virtually attends the plenary meeting of the International Monetary and Financial Committee (IMFC)|
|SEBI constitutes a four-member committee on settlement orders and compounding of offences|
|Ritesh Chauhan was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana|
|Justice Sivakumar was appointed as the Chairperson of Tamil Nadu SC/ST Commission|
|Jonas Gahr Stoere becomes the new Prime Minister of Norway|
|India clinches the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship for the eighth time in 2021|
|Russia and China hold naval exercise ‘Joint Sea 2021’ in the Sea of Japan|
|Five-day Naval Commanders Conference begins in New Delhi|
|NASA launches the first space probe to study the Trojan asteroids of Jupiter|
|China launches its first solar exploration satellite|
|Former international hockey player Saranjeet Singh passed away|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 17 & 18, 2021, now from the link given below.