DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 16, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 16 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Lymphoma Awareness Day: 15 September:
- World Lymphoma Awareness Day (WLAD) is observed on September 15 every year. The day is dedicated to raising awareness of lymphoma, an increasingly common form of cancer. WLAD is a global initiative, initiated in 2004 by the Lymphoma Coalition (LC).
International Day for the preservation for Ozone layer (World Ozone Day)-September 16:
- International Day for the preservation for Ozone layer or World Ozone Day is celebrated on September 16 across the world to aware people about the depletion of the Ozone Layer and its impact on life. In 1985, the governments at the global level adopted the Vienna Convention for the Protection of the Ozone Layer.
- Theme: “Ozone for life: 35 years of ozone layer protection”.
‘Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package Insurance Scheme for Health Workers Fighting COVID-19’ Extends for another 6 months:
- The Insurance Scheme announced under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Package for health workers who are fighting to contain COVID-19 has been extended for another six months till March 2021.
- This is the second extension given to the scheme, which aims to provide an insurance cover of Rs 50 lakh to around over 22 lakh public healthcare providers.
Union Cabinet approves establishment of new AIIMS at Darbhanga, Bihar:
- Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approved establishment of a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Darbhanga, Bihar. The AIIMS at Darbhanga will be established under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY).
- The total cost of setting the project will be 1264 crore and is likely to be completed within a period of 48 months.
- Capital: Patna
- Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar
- Governor: Fagu Chauhan
Haryana Orbital Rail Corridor gets nod from cabinet:
- Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs approved 121-km Haryana Orbital Rail Corridor, which will connect Palwal and Sonipat. It will be implemented by Haryana Rail Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd at an estimated cost of Rs. 5,617 crores in 5 years.
- Chief Minister:Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor:Satyadev Narayan Arya
- National Parks(NP):Sultanpur NP, Kalesar NP
- Dance:Phag, Dhamal, Loor, Khoria.
Union Education Minister presents first ever AICTE Visvesvaraya Best Teachers Award 2020 to 12 faculty members of AICTE:
- The first ever AICTE Visvesvarya Best Teacher Awards 2020 were presented by Union Minister of Education Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal‘Nishank’ to 12 faculty members of AICTE approved institutes on the occasion of Engineers Day (September 15).
Jammu and Kashmir Horticulture Department launches “Backyard Horticulture” programme under CAPEX scheme in Jammu district:
- In Jammu and Kashmir, the Horticulture Department has launched the Flagship programme “Backyard Horticulture” under CAPEX scheme at Panchyat Jaswan in Marh block of Jammu district. Under the programme at least three fruit plants costing 200 will be distributed among the farmers at 90% subsidy covering 600 households.
Jammu and Kashmir:
- Capital: Srinagar (summer), Jammu (winter)
- Lt Governor: Manoj Sinha
- National Parks: Hemis National Park, City Forest (Salim Ali) National Park, Dachigam National Park, Kishtwar National Park.
- Wildlife Sanctuaries: Changthang Cold Desert WLS, Gulmarg WLS, Jasrota WLS, Baltal-Thajwas WLS, Karakoram (Nubra Shyok) WLS.
Postage Stamp on India’s First A-SAT Released On Engineers’ Day:
- Department of Post launched a customized stamp on India’s First Anti-Satellite Missile (A-SAT). Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) had successfully conducted an Anti-Satellite (A-SAT) missile test “Mission Shakti” from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island in Odisha on March 27, 2019.
- A DRDO developed A-SAT Missile successfully engaged an Indian orbiting target satellite in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) in a ‘Hit to Kill’.
111th Birth Anniversary of 1st CM of Tamil Nadu C. N. Annadurai being celebrated:
- 111th Birth Anniversary of the first Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu N. Annadurai is popularly known as Arignar Anna celebrated on 15th September. He was also a Member of Rajya Sabha from 1963 to 1967. Well known for his powerful oratorical skills, Anna was a prolific writer too.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit.
- National Park: Mukurthi NP, Guindy NP,Gulf of Mannar Marine NP, Indira Gandhi (Annamalai) NP, Mudumalai NP.
Uttar Pradesh to get special security force with powers to search and arrest without any warrant:
- Uttar Pradesh Special Security Force will be able to arrest any person without the orders of a magistrate or a warrant. Five battalions of the force to be constituted in the first phase and it will be headed by an ADG-ranked officer at an expense of Rs 1747 crore.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan(Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
Banking and Economy:
RBI directs banks to complete automation of NPA recognition, provisioning calculation by June 2021:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) asked banks to complete the automation of bad-loan recognition and provisioning calculation processes by 30 June, 2021. The system-based asset classification will improve efficiency and transparency and will enable the participants (investors, depositors, regulators, etc.) to have enhanced confidence over controls and reporting in this critical area.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI):
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Formation: 1 April 1935
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: (Bibhu Prasad Kanungo, Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra,)
- Subsidiaries: Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran (BRBNM).
SBI General Insurance signs corporate agency agreement with YES BANK to make non-life insurance solutions accessible to customers:
- SBI General Insurance Company and Yes Bank signed a Corporate Agency Agreement for the distribution of retail products of SBI General Insurance Company for its corporate and retail customers. The products of SBI General Insurance Company will be offered to YES BANK’s customers across 28 states and 8 Union Territories.
Indian economy to shrink by 9% in FY21; Asian Development Bank:
- According to ADB’s Asian Development Outlook (ADO) 2020 Update, India’s economy is expected to contract by 9% this year worse than the 4% contraction it had forecast three months ago. However, it expects India to bounce back with 8% growth FY22.
Asian Development Bank (ADB):
- Founded- 19 December 1966
- Headquarters- Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- President- Masatsugu Asakawa.
- Membership– 68 countries
Science and Technology:
China successfully launches nine satellites into orbit from ship stationed in the Yellow Sea:
- China successfully launched a solid-propellant carrier rocket from a ship in the Yellow Sea, sending nine satellites into orbit in the second such sea-based launch mission. The Long March 11-HY2, the 10th member of the Long March 11 family blasted off.
CSIR Collaborates With Aurobindo Pharma To Develop COVID-19 Vaccines:
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research – Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology & Aurobindo Pharma Limited partnered to develop vaccines for COVID-19. Aurobindo is already developing a vaccine through its wholly-owned US subsidiary Auro Vaccines.
Paytm First Games announces Sachin Tendulkar as brand ambassador:
- India’s homegrown digital financial service platform Paytm announced that its subsidiary Paytm First Games ( PFG) has roped in global sporting legend Sachin Tendulkar as the brand ambassador. The firm in partnership with Tendulkar will increase its reach in smaller cities and towns.
Virat Kohli roped in as Brand Ambassador by EdTech major Great Learning:
- One of India’s leading Edtech companies for professional and higher education, Great Learning announced the appointment of Virat Kohli, as its brand ambassador. The captain of the Indian cricket team and the world’s No.1 batsman, who also topped a recent ranking of India’s most powerful celebrities, will now be the face of the Great Learning brand.
Amazon signs Amitabh Bachchan for its Alexa voice assistant:
- com Inc has signed up Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan for its Alexa voice assistant. Amitabh Bachchan is the first Indian celebrity to lend his voice to Alexa. Alexa users will be able to access Amitabh Bachchan’s voice on Alexa by purchasing the Amitabh Bachchan voice experience.
Asian Development Bank appoints Takeo Konishi as Country Director for India:
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has appointed Takeo Konishi as its new Country Director for India. Konishi will replace Kenichi Yokoyama who has taken over as Director-General of ADB’s South Asia Department. India is the fourth-largest shareholder of ADB and has been its largest borrower since 2010.
TCS Becomes Second Indian Firm to Cross Rs 9 Lakh Crore-market Valuation Mark:
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) became the second Indian firm to attain a market valuation of over Rs 9 lakh crore after Reliance Industries Limited. The company’s market valuation went past Rs 9 lakh crore in early trade helped by a rally in its share price.
Former Maharashtra Cricketer Sadashiv Patil passes away at 86:
- Former Maharashtra cricketer Sadashiv Patil, who played as medium-pacer, has passed away. Patil had represented India in only one Test and played 36 first-class matches between 1952 and 1964.
Cristiano Ronaldo becomes first European men’s footballer to score 100 international goals:
- Cristiano Ronaldo became the first European to score 100 international goals. He became the second male footballer after Ali Daei, to score 100 international goals after scoring against Sweden in Tuesday’s UEFA Nations League match. Ali Daei scored 109 times for Iran.
Thomas and Uber Cup Finals postponed to 2021 by Badminton World Federation:
- Badminton World Federation (BWF) has announced that the Thomas Cup and the Uber Cup, which were scheduled to be held from 3 to 11 October 2020 in Denmark, has been postponed for
- This decision has been taken following the withdrawal of many participating countries from the tournament due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Badminton World Federation (BWF):
- Headquarters– Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Founded– 5th July 1934
- President– Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen
- Membership- 194 member associations
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.