DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 25, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 25 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Pharmacist Day- 25 September:
- World Pharmacist Day is observed globally on 25th September every year. This day is celebrated to create awareness about the role of a pharmacist in improving health. The day was an initiative of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) along with the council of this organization.
- Theme: “Transforming global health”.
Government Increases limit for use of SDRF funds by states from 35 per cent to 50 per cent to tackle COVID situation:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced that the limit of using the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) for COVID specific infrastructure has been increased from 35 per cent to 50 per cent. It will help States have more finances at their disposal to fight the virus.
Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal launches “Mukhyamantrir Grammya Paribahan Achoni” to improve rural connectivity:
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal launched the “Mukhyamantrir Grammya Paribahan Achoni” and distributed vehicles under the scheme to beneficiaries at a programme held at Assam Administrative Staff College by transport department.
- The scheme aims to improve rural connectivity and generate employment in the villages. In the first phase of the scheme, 10,000 villages would be covered with financial outlay of Rs 100 crore.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park or Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park, Dehing Patkai Wls.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi to inaugurate the summit ‘Responsible AI for Social Empowerment 2020:
- Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and NITI Aayog will organize a Mega Virtual Summit on Artificial Intelligence (AI), Responsible AI for Social Empowerment 2020 (RAISE) from October 5-9, 2020. RAISE 2020 will be a global meeting of minds to exchange ideas and chart a course for using AI for social transformation, inclusion and empowerment in areas like Healthcare, Agriculture, Education and Smart Mobility, among other sectors.
51st IFFI to be held from 16th to 24th January 2021 in Goa:
- The 51st Edition of the International Film Festival of India (IFFI) will be held from 16th to 24th Jan, 2021 in Goa. Earlier it was scheduled to be held from 20th to 28th Nov, 2020. The festival will be conducted in a Virtual and Physical format.
- Chief Minister:Pramod Sawant
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari (Additional Charge)
‘Saubhagya’ scheme completes three years since its inception:
- Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana– “Saubhagya” was launched on the 25th Sept, 2017 to ensure electrification of all willing households in the country in rural as well as urban areas. Scheme aims to achieve universal household electrification.
Union Minister S Jaishankar attends Special Ministerial Meeting of Foreign Ministers of CICA:
- Union Minister of External Affairs S Jaishankar participated in the Special Ministerial Meeting of Foreign Ministers of the ‘Conference on Interaction & Confidence Building Measures in Asia’ (CICA). CICA is an inter-governmental forum for enhancing cooperation towards promoting peace, security and stability in Asia.
Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya 104th Birth Anniversary 2020:
- Deendayal Upadhyaya was born on September 25, 1916 in Mathura. He was a veteran politician and a social thinker. He started the weekly Panchjanya and the daily Swadesh. He was the co-founder of Bharatiya Jana Sangh (forerunner of Bharatiya Janata Party).
PM Narendra Modi launches “Fit India Age Appropriate Fitness Protocols” on first anniversary of ‘Fit India Movement:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi interacted with fitness experts, citizens and influencers from across the country during a nation-wide online Fit India Dialogue on 24 September 2020, to mark the one-year anniversary of Fit India Movement. PM Modi also launched the ‘Fit India Age Appropriate Fitness Protocols’ during the event.
Union HRD Minister Harsh Vardhan chairs ‘Aarogya Manthan’ 2.0:
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare chaired ‘Aarogya Manthan’ 2.0 celebrating its 2nd Anniversary of Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY). He also presented awards to the winners of the AB-PMJAY Start-up Grand Challenge to support the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana.
Uttar Pradesh State government introduce “U-Rise” portal to counsel students in learning, career counselling and employment:
- Uttar Pradesh State government introduce ‘U-Rise’ portal to counsel students in learning, career counselling and employment. The State Government of Uttar Pradesh has initiated a unified portal named ‘U-Rise’.
- This portal is launched by the State CM Yogi Adityanath in the capital city, Lucknow. The main aim for launching this portal is to guide students in learning, career counselling, and getting employment in the state.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan(Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
West Bengal Transport Corporation Introduces India’s First ‘Tram’ Library in Kolkata:
- West Bengal Transport Corporation (WBTC) introduced a tram library in the city’s iconic College street area. Tram Library is a special tram with books & magazines that can be read while travelling. In addition to books, free Wifi will be provided to passengers to read online.
West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee Inaugurates Two Green Projects To Be Built In Collaboration With EU Countries:
- West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee virtually inaugurated two major green projects worth around Rs 1226 crore to be built by European Union countries in Kolkata and East Midnapore district.
- One project involves waste management and sustainable development at the Kolkata Leather Complex at Bantala in the eastern outskirts of the city. The second is a solar power project worth Rs 1200 crore to be set up in East Midnapore by a German company.
- Capital: Kolkata
- Chief Minister: Mamata Banerjee
- Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
- National Park(NP): Buxa NP, Gorumara NP, Neora Valley NP, Jaldapara NP, Singalila NP, Sundarbans NP.
India and United Kingdom sign MoU on Water Partnership via video conferencing:
- India and the United Kingdom held a virtual Water Partnership meeting to discuss ways to work together on issues pertaining to water conservation and building better water infrastructure.
- The programme was inaugurated by the Indian High Commissioner to UK, Gaitri Issar Kumar with the Ministry of Jal Shakti Secretary UP Singh.
World Economic Forum’s Sustainable Development Impact Summit held virtually:
- World Economic Forum’s fourth and first fully virtual Sustainable Development Impact Summit 2020 was held under the banner “Realizing a Great Reset for Sustainable Development” to convene 2100 leaders.
- The summit was based on the five themes of Shared Prosperity, Catalysing cooperation, Better business, Harnessing technology, and Liveable planet.
- During the summit, WEF’s ‘EarthTime Visualisation’ report was released which stated that Delhi may have eight months a year with temperature averaging 32°C by 2100, up from six at present.
Banking and Economy:
IDFC First Bank to launch contactless debit card payment facility “SafePay”:
- IDFC First Bank will launch a contactless debit card-based payment facility, “SafePay”. It will allow transactions up to Rs 20,000 per day. Per transaction limit will be Rs 2000 under this payment facility of SafePay.
- It will allow payments by simply waving one’s smartphone against a Near Field Communication (NFC)-enabled PoS terminal.
IDFC First Bank:
- CEO: V. Vaidyanathan
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
RBI suggests five-pillared approach ‘GUARD’ to deal with cybersecurity issues in UCBs:
- Reserve Bank brings five-pillared strategic approach ‘GUARD’ to deal with cybersecurity threats being faced by Urban Cooperative Banks (UCBs). It comprises Gov. Oversight, Utile Tech. Investment, Appropriate Regulation & Supervision, Robust Collaboration & Developing necessary IT, & cybersecurity skills set.
- The RBI said in its document ‘Technology Vision for Cyber Security for Urban Cooperative Banks 2020-2023’ that the number, frequency and impact of cyber incidents and attacks have increased manifold in the recent past, more so in the case of the financial sector, including UCBs.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
SBICAP Trustee Company acquires 56.17% stake in Jindal Stainless (JSL):
- SBICAP Trustee Company acquired 56.17% stake in JSL. It is one of the largest integrated manufacturers of stainless steel in India with a capacity of 1.1 MT. JSL’s promoters had pledged shares as collateral to secure a term loan of Rs 400cr from IndusInd Bank.
Science and Technology
Department of Biotechnology launches Programme for “Strengthening Clinical Trial Research Capacity in Neighbouring Countries”:
- Department of Biotechnology has launched the programme for “Strengthening Clinical Trial Research Capacity in Neighbouring Countries”. The programme will help neighbouring countries, and LMICs (Lowand Middle Income Countries) to build capacities for Covid-19 vaccine trials.
- Department of Biotechnology has initiated the first phase of the training program in partnership with Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
Kineco flags off India’s first commercial indigenously manufactured Sonar Dome for Indian Navy Warships:
- Goa based Kineco Limited, one of India’s leading composite technology provider for defence, aerospace, railway and industrial sectors, flagged off India’s first ever commercial Sonar Dome, at the hands of State Chief Minister Pramod Sawant.
- The Sonar Dome is a critical component of a warship as it houses the Sonar (Sonar Navigation and Ranging) Array – which is used for detection, navigation, and ranging.
Indian Railways extends pact with IIT-Kanpur to facilitate research on railway modernization:
- IIT-Kanpur signed a MoU with Indian Railways for research on railway infrastructure modernisation. MoU will facilitate research in the core areas of electrical locomotive, comm. systems, traction installation, etc. through the Centre for Railway Research.
Indigenously Developed Prithvi-II Missile Successfully Test Fired from Chandipur, Odisha:
- India conducted a successful night testfire of its indigenously developed nuclear capable surface-to-surface Prithvi-II missile as part of a user trial by the Army from a base in Odisha. The state-of-the-art missile was testfired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur near here in darkness and the trial was successful in meeting all the parameters.
Government extends term of Uday Kotak as non-exec IL&FS chairman by one year:
- Government extended the term of Uday Kotak as a non-executive chairman of debt-ridden Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services Limited group by one year till October 2, 2021. Kotak was appointed by the Government as the head of the lender’s board in 2018.
Rajat Sud appointed as new managing director of Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL):
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a joint venture of PSUs under the Ministry of Power, Government of India has announced the appointment of Rajat Sud as its new Managing Director. Sud takes over from Gopal Director (Commercial), who had taken on the additional charge of interim.
Bollywood actor Sonu Sood appointed as Brand Ambassador of Acer India:
- Acer India appointed actor Sonu Sood as its brand ambassador. As the brand ambassador of Acer India, Sonu Sood will support the range of innovative products of Acer over the social media and campaign on the commitment of Acers in improving the lives of the people through technology.
CITI appoints Arjun Chowdhry as acting head of consumer banking business in India:
- Citigroup has appointed Arjun Chowdhry as the acting head of its consumer banking business in India. Chowdhry, who has been with Citi for 25 years, currently serves as the head of credit cards, payments and unsecured lending for the American bank in India. He took charge from Shinjini Kumar.
Awards and Recognition:
NID-Ahmedabad student Shashank Nimkar’s zero waste manufacturing process wins James Dyson India award:
- Shashank Nimkar from the National Institute of Design (Ahmedabad) has won the James Dyson India Award 2020 for his invention– ‘Earth Tatva’. He used ceramic rejects called ‘Grog’ from the surrounding production cluster and clay to make new products.
Lieutenant Shivangi Singh set to become India’s first woman fighter pilot to fly Rafale:
- Flight Lieutenant Shivangi Singh is set to become the first woman fighter pilot of India to fly the Rafale combat aircraft. Shivangi Singh, who hails from Uttar Pradesh’s Varanasi, was commissioned into the Indian Air Force (IAF) in the year 2017 as part of the second batch of women fighter pilots.
Indian Navy to deploy Kumudini Tyagi and Riti Singh to become the 1st Women Observers to Operate from Warships:
- Sub Lieutenant Kumudini Tyagi and Sub Lieutenant Riti Singh would be the first women “Airborne Tacticians” in India to operate from the deck of warships. They were a part of a group of 17 officers of the Navy, who were awarded ‘Wings’ on graduating as ‘Observers’ at a ceremony held at (Indian Navy Ship) INS Garuda, Kochi, Kerala.
Books and Authors:
Actor Neena Gupta To Release Her Memoir Titled “Sach Kahu Toh” in 2021:
- National Award-winning actor Neena Gupta is coming out with a memoir, titled “Sach Kahu Toh”. In the book, the actress will talk about her life, spanning from her childhood in Karol Bagh, Delhi to her 35 years of professional career. The book will be published under Penguin ‘Ebury Press’ imprint and is scheduled to be out in 2021.
Former Australian Cricket Legend Dean Jones passes away at 59 in Mumbai:
- Former Australia cricket commentator, coach and legendary batsman Dean Jones has passed away on 24 September 2020 after suffering a heart attack. He was in Mumbai as a commentator for the ongoing Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020.
- Jones had represented Australia in 52 Tests and 164 ODIs. He was also part of Australia’s 1987 World Cup-winning squad.
Karnataka Congress MLA Narayan Rao passes away at 65:
- Karnataka Congress MLA B Narayan Rao passed away due to the novel coronavirus. He was the MLA from Bidar district in North Karnataka. In the 2018 elections, he defeated Mallikarjun Khutba of the BJP and PGR Sindhia of the JD(S).
Justice Ashutosh Mohunta passes away at 67:
- Justice Ashutosh Mohunta, former acting Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court and incumbent member of Punjab State Human Rights Commission passed away. He was appointed as a member of Punjab State HRC in Sept. 22, 2016.
Renowned Nuclear Scientist Dr. Sekhar Basu passes away at 68:
- Veteran atomic scientist and former chairman of Atomic Energy Commission Sekhar Basu succumbed to COVID-19. Dr. Basu was the brain behind the designing, construction, and operation of nuclear recycle plants at Tarapur and Kalpakkam.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.