CURRENT AFFAIRS WEEKLY ONE LINERS : MAY 8 – MAY 14
CURRENT AFFAIRS WEEKLY ONE LINERS : MAY 8 – MAY 14
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants ,
The exam dates are near and the expectations of the aspirants will be sky high. Dena Bank PO Exam 2018 is happening in the first week of June and the SBI CLERK & SBI PO Exam 2018 are happening in the consecutive months. So a robust and enduring preparation strategies are required to crack the exam in the forthcoming days.
Current Affairs plays a dominant and extensive role in determining the overall marks of a candidate in the Mains examination. Along with the current affairs, Banking Awareness and static GK gets the much needed attention as this will be the booster for the overall marks.
Check the Weekly One Liners from May 1- May 7 and you could also download the Weekly Current Affairs One Liners as PDF which is provided at the end. As said three major exams are here (Dena Bank PO, SBI CLERK , SBI PO) and scoring in the Current Affairs part will save you from the hassles of the marks.
ONE LINERS – MAY 8 – MAY 14
- First Apex Conference for CEO’s of Smart Cities held in Bhopal. It aims for cross-sharing of knowledge among the cities, the housing and urban affairs ministry.
- BRO(Border Roads Organisation) has celebrated its 58th Raising Day on may 7. Motto- Creates, Connects and Cares…, ‘Shramena Sarvam Sadhyam’.
- Delhi to host 6 day festival of Bharat. The event held at Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA).
- Patanjali Ayurved Limited has been ranked as India’s most trusted Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) brand in the TRA’s Brand Trust Report 2018.
- MSDE and MoRD has launched Ajeevika and Kaushal Vikas Mela in Bhubaneswar. It aims in promoting social harmony and awareness around the pro-poor initiatives of the government. Vision: “SabkaSaath, Sabka Vikas”.
- Third Edition of UNPCAP(United Nations Peacekeeping course for Africans Partners) inaugurated in New Delhi.
- 15th Finance Commission Constitutes an advisory council. The role and functions of the Advisory Council will be to advise the Commission on any issue or subject related to the Terms of Reference (ToR) of the Commission.
- Ravi Shankar Prasad launches website of ‘Digital India Internship Scheme’ which will offer Rs.10,000 Per month as stipend to interns. Its aims to provide an opportunity to secure first hand and practical work experience under the guidance of a mentor.
- BSCDCL(Bhopal Smart City Development Corp. Ltd.) launches India’s first Integrated Control and Command Centre in Madhya Pradesh.
- India hosted the 15th Asia Media Summit at New Delhi. Theme:‘Telling Our Stories Asia and More’
- Union Minister for Civil Aviation Suresh Prabhu inaugurates 6th US-India Aviation Summit in Mumbai.
- AP CM Pema Khandu inaugurated the state’s biggest solar power plant at Energy Awareness Park at Itanagar. The plant, with a capacity of 1 MW, was commissioned on April 1 at an estimated investment of Rs 8.50 crore by the Arunachal Pradesh Energy Development Agency (APEDA).
- Pawan Kalyan unfurls world’s largest Indian flag in Telangana. The flag was 122 feet in length and 183 feet in width.
- The Telangana govt. introduced Rythu Bandhu, a scheme to provide Rs. 4,000 per acre each to land-owning farmers for rabi and kharif seasons. The state government has set aside Rs. 12,000 crore in the 2018-19 budget for Rythu Bandhu.
- Indian Army’s ‘Vijay Prahar’ Exercise concludes in suratgarh in Rajasthan.
- Second Longest in Asia, India’s longest road and railway bridge named “Bogibeel Bridge” connecting Dibrugarh in Assam to Pasighat in Arunachal Pradesh is likely to be inaugurated later this year by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Kerala govt. To provide free internet to 20 lakh poor families while others will get it at an affordable rate.
- Indian Customs and Department of India Posts held a First ever Joint Conference at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi.
- The Maharashtra govt. signed a MoU with the Centres Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) Council to train state PWD officials to rate government buildings.
- The Kerala State Electricity Board has signed a memorandum of understanding with the National Thermal Power Corporation for increasing solar power generation in the state. The MoU, signed, also includes an agreement to set up a 15 MW solar power unit at the NTPCNSE -0.62 % complex in Kayamkulam.
- Govt. Dept Earmarked Rs. 16,500 crore for Swatch Bharat Mission in 2018-19.
- Army finalises Rs.15,000 crore ammunition production project. The immediate aim of the project is to create an inventory for all major weapons to enable the forces to fight a 30-day war while the long-term objective is to cut dependence on imports.
- Skill Development centre in Hyderabad to be set up by UNDP United Nations Development Programme.
- India and Nepal have agreed to expand their partnership for socio-economic development on the basis of principles of equality, trust, respect and mutual benefit.
- India and Sri Lanka has agreed on cooperation on exchange of information and other aspects to tackle smuggling of drugs in both countries.
- China Successfully launched a Gaofen-5 hyperspectral imaging satelite for comprehensive observation of the atmosphere, including air pollution.
- The UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres announced a climate summit set to take place in September 2019 in New York to review the Paris Agreement commitments.
- The 2018 World Robot Conference will be held in Beijing, China.
- Tourism Minister attends the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) Tourism Ministers’ conference in Wuhan, China.
- India Pavilion inaugurated at Cannes Flim Festival 2018 was held at Cannes, France.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will buy government bonds worth up to Rs10,000 crore. The purchase of securities will be made under the central bank’s open market operations (OMOs).
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has notified the protocol amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Kuwait.
- IMF reaffirmed that will be the fastest growing major economy in 2018, with a growth rate of 7.4% that rises to 7.8%.
- Walmart Inc. is set to announce the purchase of a majority stake in Flipkart in a deal that will value India’s largest online retailer at more than $21 billion, making it the world’s biggest ever e-commerce acquisition.
- National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) expects to launch its payment bank’s operations within a month as it is awaiting Reserve Bank’s nod. It will be a digital bank focussed on making digital payments.
- India and Panama have signed two agreements on exemption of Visas for holders of Diplomatic and Official Passports and in the field of Agriculture.
- Google has officially launched the stable version of its embedded operating system platform Android Things 1.0. To be used for building commercial Internet of Things products.
- Indian tea industry records highest ever production, export in FY18. The total tea production was 1325.05 million kgs. In percentage terms the increase is around 6%.
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba said it had purchased leading Pakistani online retailer Daraz, continuing its overseas expansion by gaining a foothold in the growing South Asian consumer market.
- The Airports Authority of India (AAI) signed a Rs 945-crore deal with the Harris Corporation of the US for development of its Futuristic Telecommunications Infrastructure (FTI) programme.
- Yes Bank to launch Water-security Programme. This initiative is aimed at improving farmers’ access to finance, ensuring effective use of digital banking resources, and imparting good agricultural practices.
- India and Peru signed an agreement in the field of Renewable Energy at Lima, Peru.
- The Punjab government signed a pact with the UK for setting up of bio-gas and bio-CNG plants in the state.
- PM Modi’s 3rd Nepal visit starts off bus service between Janakpur and Ayodhya.
- RBI puts Dena Bank Under Prompt Corrective Action. The public sector lender reported widening of its net loss to Rs 1,225.42 crore.
- Fitch says India’s growth to accelerate to 7.3% in next fiscal and 7.5% in FY 20.
- Paytm introduced automatic recurring payments, a new feature that lets users configure the payments app to pay for periodic recurring expenses automatically.
- The World Bank is going to provide Bangladesh a grant to meet the basic needs of around one million Rohingyas who fled their homeland Myanmar.
- Inflation based on Wholesale Price Index (WPI) shot up to 3.18 per cent in April due to increasing prices of petrol and diesel as well as fruits and vegetables.
- Fino Payments Bank launches Digital Suite of products-UPI, Fastag, Online account opening and netbanking that can be accessed online and through mobile phones.
- China’s largest bank, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC), has launched the country’s first India-dedicated publicly offered investment fund, the bank .
- The Govt. of India signed a loan deal worth USD 200 million with the World Bank for the National Nutrition Mission (POSHAN Abhiyaan). It aims in improving the coverage and quality of ICDS nutrition services to pregnant and lactating women and children under 3 years of age.
- NITI Aayog and Google have come together to work on a range of initiatives to help build the AI ecosystem across the country. It aims to foster growth for India’s nascent artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) ecosystem.
- India and Guatemala has signed a MoU for expanding cooperation in the area of diplomatic training. It aims for strengthening diplomatic cooperation through Respective Foreign Service Institutes in the educational field.
- Uber Technologies inc. Signs with NASA for ‘Flying car’.
- National Small industries Corporation Limited (NSIC) signed MOU with MSME for the year 2018-19. Under the scheme of National SC-ST Hub, being implemented by NSIC on behalf of the Ministry.
- USA withdraws from a multinational nuclear agreement with Iran.
- To strengthen the cultural ties between Gujarat and Poland, Gujarat govt has decided to join hands with Poland govt. For the celebrations of the Independence of Poland in Delhi.
- UP Govt. informed that the United States Stanford University will come in a partnership with the state to combat disease like Japanese Encephalitis (JE) and Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES).
- Business Optimism Index(Grant Thornton’s survey)- India’s rank 6th. Top 5 nations are Australia, Finaland, Indonesia, The Netherlands, US.
- Power Index on Asia-Pacific-India ranked 4th out of 25 nations. US ranked 1st.
- Forbes Most Powerful people in the World 2018-India’s PM Modi ranked 9th out of 75 persons. China’s Xi Jinping (1st), Russia’s Vladimir Putin (2nd) and followed by US Donald Trump.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
- Eric T. Schneiderman, the New York State attorney general has resigned.
- Sachin Bansal Quits Flipkart after Walmart deal.
Name of the person
|Armenian Prime Minister|
|Carlos Alvarado(Journalist)||Costa Rica’s President||
Luis Guillermo Solis
|Google Head of India cloud Business|
|Mahathir Mohamad||Prime minister||
|Head of Centre for excellence for cricket||
|Munu Mahawar||The Next Ambassador of India to the Sultanate of Oman||
Pawan Kumar Agarwal
|CEO FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India)|
|Mohit Chauhan Roped||
Green Ambassador of Sikkim
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- Nisha Bhalla receives Annual World Economic Forum 2018 awards.
- Nobel laureate and noted economist Muhammad Yunus who is the founder of Grameen Bank and known as the Father of Microfinance being honoured with the 11th KISS Humanitarian Award 2018 at a function held in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
British Council Awards for three Indian Alumini of UK Universities:
- ‘Professional Achievement Award’: Saumya Saxena, an alumni of the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford.
- ‘Social Impact Award’: Ruchi Shah, a post graduate of the University of the Arts London.
- ‘Entrepreneurial Award’: Sushant Desai, a post graduate from the University of Edinburgh.
- Kalpataru Limited, India’s leading premium and luxury real estate developer won the prestigious CREDAI-MCHI Golden Pillar Award for the Best CSR Programme of the Year.
- Veteran singer Lata Mangeshkar, who is one of the most respected playback singers in India, was conferred with the Swara Mauli title by spiritual guru Vidya Narsimha Bharati Swami in Mumbai.
- India’s Ramit Tandon wins the Abu Dhabi Open Squash Title.
- Olympic medallist Gagan Narang and Pooja Ghatkar won the mixed team silver medal in the Grand Prix of Liberation international shooting competition in Pilsen, Czech Republic.
- Rishabh Pant became the highest scoring (128) Indian in the history of the Indian Premier League as Delhi Daredevils took on the Sunrisers Hyderabad at the Feroz Shah Kotla in New Delhi.
- Rafael Nadal’s surprise quarter-final exit at the Madrid Masters has seen the Spaniard replaced as world number one by Roger Federer in the latest ATP rankings
- Indian colts won agaisnt Tajikistan 4-2 and emerged as champions in the four-nation Under-16 Tournament held in Serbia.
- Heena Sidhu wins shooting Gold, P Shri Nivetha Settles for Bronze at the International Shooting Competitions of Hannover.
- All India Football Federation suspends Minerva Owner Bajaj for a year.
|Event of the day||Theme of 2018|
|May 08||World Thalassemia Day||
Thalassaemia past, present and future: Documenting progress and patients’ needs worldwide
|World Red Cross Day||Memorable smiles from around the world|
|May 11||National Technology Day||
To promote the development of technology
|International Nurses Day||Nurses: A voice to lead-Health is a human right|
|May 12||World Migratory Bird Day||
Unifying our Voices for Bird Conservation
|National Mother’s day||
- Former MP minister Nirmal Hirawat passes away.
- Former Delhi cricketer Rajinder Pal passes away.
- British flim editor Anne V.Coates who won an Oscar for David Lean’s epic film Lawrence of Arabia, has died.
- Australia’s oldest Scientiest David Goodall has died.
- Famous hindi Poet and Former MP Balkavi Bairagi Passes away.
Download the ONE LINERS of MAY 8 – MAY 14 from the link that is provided below.
You can check the weekly current affairs – One Liners of previous week of March from the links given below and you can download the same too.