CURRENT AFFAIRS WEEKLY ONE LINERS: SEPTEMBER 23-30, 2018
CURRENT AFFAIRS WEEKLY ONE LINERS: SEPTEMBER 23-30, 2018
Dear BankersDaily Aspirants,
Hope all of you have completed the Ibps po prelims exam.Its the perfect time for your mains preparation.Start to learn Current Affairs section and score good marks in the upcoming examinations.
Here aspirants are provided with September 23- 30 Weekly oneliners.Collect the points in cripy manner and gather all the important current affairs in the first week of june.You can also download this as a pdf in the link provided below.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first airport in Sikkim at Pakyong. It will improve connectivity in the area and massively benefit the people of the state.
- India conducted a successful test of its indigenously designed ballistic missile defense system off the coast of Odisha.
- The State-run telecom firm BSNL has inked a pact with Japan’s Softbank and NTT Communications to roll out 5G and internet of things (IoT) technology in India.
- Indian government has launched one of the world’s largest publicly funded health insurance scheme, set to cover some 500 million poor people.The programme, which was first announced as part of the yearly budget in February, is expected to cost the central and 29 state governments $1.6bn a year in total.
- The Reserve Bank has shortlisted five IT firms including Infosys and TCS for implementation of a centralised information and management system (CIMS) for seamless data collection and validations.
- India will organise ‘Gandhi March’ from the iconic Peace Palace at the Hague to Grote Kerk to launch the two-year long celebrations of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The Assamese movie ‘Village Rockstars’ has been selected as India’s official entry to the 91st Oscars 2019. The film is directed by Rima Das.
- L&T Metro Rail Hyderabad Limited has commissioned a 16 km stretch of elevated metro, thereby completing one full stretch of the three corridor metro network.
- A recent survey led by the Government of Nepal has shown that the population of tigers has almost doubled in under a decade in the country.
- The Supreme Court has constituted a three-member committee headed by its former judge Justice Amitava Roy to look into the aspect of jail reforms across the country and suggest measures to deal with them.
- For the first time, India and China will sign an internal security cooperation agreement during the forthcoming visit of China’s Minister of Public Security, marking a new beginning in bilateral relations.
- The Environment Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan has inaugurated air pollution control device Wind Augmentation Purifying Unit, WAYU, at ITO in New Delhi.
- The Home Minister Rajnath Singh has chaired the meeting of 21st Central Zonal Council in Lucknow.
- India has become the first and only SAARC country to have a quitline number on tobacco products.The words ‘Quit today call — 1800-11-2356’ shall appear in white font on a black background.
- The 25th September is observed as Antyodaya Diwas every year to mark the birth anniversary of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya.
- Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu has dedicated the India’s first Indian Culinary Institute (ICI) in Tirupati and two coastal tourism projects taken up under Swadesh Darshan, to the nation.
- The Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has scored the first position in implementation of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana.
- The Department of Financial Services (DFS), Ministry of Finance and National Informatics Centre (NIC) has jointly developed a mobile app called Jan Dhan Darshak as a part of financial inclusion (FI) initiative.
- The Indian Air Force has successfully test fired the indigenously developed beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) ‘Astra’ from a Su-30 aircraft.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the National Digital Communications Policy-2018 (NDCP-2018) and re-designation of the Telecom Commission as the “Digital Communications Commission”.
- India and Morocco has signed an MoU for deepening cooperation between MSME sectors of the two countries in Rabat, Morocco.
- The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Shri Arun Jaitley launched the Financial Inclusion Index after his Annual Performance Review Meeting with CEOs of the Public Sector Banks in New Delhi.
- The Parakram Parv will be celebrated from september 28-30 to showcase the courage, valour and sacrifice of Indian Armed Forces.
- BJP president Amit Shah will inaugurate the Deendayal Upadhyaya National monument at Dhankya, Rajasthan to mark the 102nd birth anniversary of BJP ideologue.
- The President Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate the fourth “India International Science Festival (IISF)” on October 6.
- The Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has launched Centre of Excellence for Data Analytics (CEDA) in New Delhi.
- The Modi government has constituted an eight-member search committee, to be headed by former Supreme Court judge Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai, to recommend the chairperson and members of the anti-corruption ombudsman Lokpal.
- India’s rank improved and it is placed 96th among 162 countries in this year’s report on Economic Freedom in the World.It was released by the Centre for Civil Society (CCS) in conjunction with Canada’s Fraser Institute.
- The government has launched an online platform for processing applications related to quality certification mark ‘Agmark’ for agricultural products.
- India and Oman have agreed for deeper cooperation in maritime security and defence industry for future engagement and range of measures to enhance the defence relationship between the two countries.
- Tribes India and TRIFED under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs has launched “Punch Tantra Collection and Ms. Mary Kom as Brand Ambassador of Tribes India”.
- The Union KJ Alphons has presented the National Tourism Awards 2016-17 and launched the ‘Incredible India’ mobile app and the “Incredible India Tourist Facilitators Certification” programme on the occasion of World Tourism Day.
- The Minister for Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu has approved constitution of a High Level Advisory Group (HLAG) to make recommendations in identifying opportunities and addressing challenges in the contemporary global trade scenario.
- The National Real Estate Development Council (Naredco) has signed an MoU with the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs for providing skill training and employment opportunities to over 2.5 lakh urban poor in the construction sector.
- Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Skill Development and Entrepreneurship will kick off an innovative initiative in New Delhi on 1st October, 2018.
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, under the aegis of Swachh Bharat Mission – Urban (SBM – U), has partnered with Google to launch the Loo Review campaign.It aims to encourage all local guides in India to rate and review public toilets on Google Maps.
- The Mayor of Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) has launched a flood forecasting and early warning system (FFEWS)for Kolkata City to help city officials and citizens act decisively to minimize damage before and during disasters.
- The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention in New Delhi.
- NITI Aayog has signed an agreement with cloud services provider Oracle, hospital chain Apollo Hospitals, and pharmaceutical manufacturer Strides Pharma Sciences.The agreement aims to curb the distribution of fake drugs using new technologies.
- The government has constituted a panel to review the competition law.The committee would review “the Competition Act/ Rules/ Regulations, in view of changing business environment and bring necessary changes, if required.“
- The railway ministry in collaboration with Google has launched rail heritage digitisation project. The project is a first of its kind to showcase country’s rail heritage to national and international audience in an online story-telling platform.
- The centenary celebrations are to commemorate hundred years of liberation of Haifa in Israel by the Indian troops in 1918 culminates with a grand function in New Delhi/.
- The opposition leader Ibrahim Mohamed Solih won the Maldives’ presidential election. He defeated the current President Abdulla Yameen. Mohamed Solih blongs to Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP).
- The Japanese space agency JAXA made history by successfully landing two unmanned rovers on an asteroid. The two rovers are in good condition and are transmitting images and data.
- The New Development Bank (NDB) of the BRICS countries has approved a $525-million loan to Madhya Pradesh for infrastructure projects.
- A statue of Nelson Mandela has been unveiled at the United Nations to honour the late South African leader’s birth.
- The UAE will host the Interfaith Alliance Forum in the nation’s capital, Abu Dhabi on 19th and 20th November, under the auspices of His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) have signed an agreement worth $11 million to support the humanitarian response plan in Yemen, Myanmar and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
- The inauguration of the first General Assembly of the International Solar Alliance [ISA] will take place on 2 October 2018 in Delhi. The Ministerial level Assembly will be held in Greater Noida on October 3, 2018.
- The Women foreign ministers from around the world have kicked off a two-day conference in Montreal, Canada, that is aimed at highlighting women’s key role in politics and decision-making processes.
- The first ever United Nations High-Level Meeting (UN HLM) on tuberculosis was held in New York.It aims to accelerate efforts in ending TB and reach all affected people with prevention and care.
- Argentina has received the biggest loan package ever from the International Monetary Fund.It has received $57.1 billionfrom the International Monetary Fund, the biggest loan package ever from the global body aimed at boosting the country’s struggling economy.
- The CEO of NITI Aayog, Amitabh Kant and United Nations Resident Coordinator in India, Yuri Afanasiev, signed the Government of India-United Nations Sustainable Development Framework (UNSDF) for 2018-2022.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved agreements between India and Uzbekistan for cooperation in various sectors, including tourism, pharmaceuticals and trade.
- China will hold the fifth World Internet Conference (WIC) in its river town of Wuzhen in November.
- Scientists have developed a tiny, soft robot with caterpillar-like legs that can carry heavy loads and could be used to deliver drugs in the human body.
- India has signed two loan agreements with Japan for construction of a Metro project in Kolkata and a high-speed rail project between Mumbai and Ahmedabad.
- In Nepal, the famous Indra Jatra festival began and it is being celebrated in Kathmandu with gaiety and religious fervor.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Portuguese Environment Ministry and the Public Works Department of Goa. It will help the State manage its water resources better.
- The Indian Government has signed an agreement with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).JICA has agreed to provide an Official Development Assistance (ODA) loan of around Rs 5,500 crore (89,547 million Japanese Yen) as Tranche 1 for the the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail project.
BANKING AND ECONOMY
- The Online pharmacy Netmeds.com has acquired telemedicine portal JustDoc.com in a cash and stock transaction. The company has not disclosed the deal size.
- The hotel chain OYO had raised a total of $800 million in the latest financing round led by SoftBank Investment Advisers (SBIA) through SoftBank Vision Fund, with participation from existing investors Lightspeed Venture Partners, Sequoia and Greenoaks Capital.
- The Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launched a portal to enable micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) to get in-principle approval of loans within an hour without the need for a branch visit.
- ICICI Prudential Life, one of the largest private sector life insurance Company in India, and Saraswat Co-operative Bank (Saraswat Bank), a century old and India’s largest urban co-operative bank, have come together to offer life insurance products ranging from protection to wealth creation.
- The homegrown player Flipkart has acquired an Israel-based analytics company Upstream Commerce in a bid to deliver real-time pricing and product analytics to their sellers.
- Yes Bank, India’s fourth largest private sector bank announced its partnership with RupeeBoss.com, an online financial services company for the integration of YES mPower BOT, the Bank’s chat bot based platform.
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced that banks can avail of higher liquidity with effect from October 1.Banks could ‘carve out’ up to 15 percent of holdings under the statutory liquidity reserves to meet their liquidity coverage ratio (LCR) requirements as compared to 13 percent now.
- India is expected to grow at a healthy 7.3% in fiscal year 2018, helped by improved domestic demand and a steady revival in industrial growth.
- The board of directors of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved financing of up to $500 million for a multi-tranche financing facility (MFF) that will develop climate-resilient water supply, sewerage, and drainage infrastructure in at least 10 cities in Tamil Nadu.
- To stem the massive fall in Indian Rupee, the government has increase customs duty on import of 19 items. This increase in import duty is aimed at bridging current account deficit (CAD). The government had decided to raise the customs duty on certain ‘non-essential’ items.
- ICICI Bank, a leading private sector bank in India, renewed its Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Indian Army to offer a range of specially created benefits to the Army personnel and pensioners through its ‘Defence Salary Account’.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has barred Bandhan Bank from opening new branches, and also ordered freezing of the bank’s CEO salary over failure to stick to shareholding rules.
- ICICI Bank has partnered with MakeMyTrip, the country’s leading online travel company, to launch a range of co-branded credit cards tailor-made to suit the aspirations of the rapidly expanding segment of travel enthusiasts in the country.
- The board of directors of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 150 million loan to establish the first multi-skills park in India.
- Andhra Pradesh topped the ‘Ease of Living Index’ ranking which was released by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The Billionaire Mukesh Ambani, chairman of India’s second-most valued firm ‘Reliance Industries’, has topped the ‘Barclays Hurun India Rich List 2018’ for the seventh consecutive year, with total net worth of ₹371,000 crore.
- India ranks 158th in the world for its investments in education and health care, according to the first-ever scientific study ranking countries for their levels of human capital. The study is published in journal The Lancet.
|NAME OF THE PERSON||APPOINTED AS||BY REPLACING||RESIGNS|
|Former Member of Parliament and Bollywood actress Jaya Prada||has been appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the promotion of Nepal tourism.||_______||_______|
|Anil Kumar Chaudhary||took charge as chairman of state-owned Steel Authority of IndiaLimited (SAIL)||_______||_______|
|WhatsApp has appointed Komal Lahiri||as the Grievance Officer||_______||_______|
|Ajit Mohan, the chief executive officer of Star India’s over-the-top video service Hotstar,||has been named Facebook India’s vice-president and managing director.||_______||_______|
|The Technology giant Google has appointed Keith Enright||as Chief Privacy Officer as the company proposed policies for potential federal regulation of data.||_______||_______|
|S. Mubarak (IFS:2001). presently Joint Secretary in the Ministry||has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Guatemala. Guatemala||_______||_______|
|Senior diplomat Vikram Misri||has been appointed as India’s next ambassador to China.||_______||_______|
|Ravi, Publisher and former Editor-in-Chief of The Hindu||was unanimously elected Chairman of the Press Trust of India (PTI).||Viveck Goenka||_______|
- Belgium have joined world champions France as the joint leaders in the FIFA rankings.Roberto Martinez’s Belgium collected two wins, including their first in the UEFA Nations League over Iceland earlier this month, to bring them level with France on 1729 points.
- Tiger Woods has capped one of the most remarkable individual comebacks in sporting history with a victory at the Tour Championship, his 80th PGA Tour title.
- India settled for the silver medal after losing to Pakistan 2-3 in the final of the Asian Team Snooker Championship.
- Deepak Punia settled for a silver after losing the 86kg free style final to Turkey’s Arif Ozen. Deepak, who won junior Asian gold in New Delhi, lost 1-2 to Ozen, scoring the only point with just three seconds to go.
- In Badminton, Indonesia’s Anthony Sinisuka Ginting beat Japan’s Kento Momota to take the Men’s singles China Open title in Changzhou.
- India midfielder Manpreet Singh will take over the captaincy from PR Sreejesh in the Asian Champions Trophy in Muscat.
- Badminton player and Olympian PV Sindhu is the only sportsperson featuring in the Forbes India’s maiden ‘tycoons of tomorrow’ list of 22 young achievers in the fields of business, acting and sports.
- India will host the Deaf ICC T20 World Cup in November, 2018. The tournament will be hosted by the Deaf Cricket Society (DCS), the apex governing body.
- India has defeated Bangladesh to win the Unimoni Asia Cup Title 2018. This was the second successive Asia Cup final where India took on Bangladesh.
- India’s Deepika Kumari won bronze medal after beating Lisa Unruh of Germany in the Archery World Cup Finals in Samsun, Turkey. This was Kumari’s fifth World Cup Finals podium.
- The Mercedes player Lewis Hamilton won Russian grand prix 2018.He was followed by Mercedes player Valtteri Viktor Bottas and then Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel.
- Europe regained the Ryder Cup as captain Thomas Bjorn’s team reached the 14.5 points they required to beat the United States at a packed Le Golf National.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- The Croatian footballer Luka Modric was named Best Fifa Footballer of the Year in a London ceremony.
- The Right Livelihood Award — known as the “Alternative Nobel” — has been given to three jailed Saudi human rights defenders and two Latin American anti-corruption crusaders.
- India’s young paddlers concluded their successful run in the Serbian Junior and Cadet Open, adding three gold, four silver and six bronze medals. The event was held at Kovilovo, Serbia.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been awarded with the UN’s highest environmental honour, also given to five other individuals and organisations.
- Evan Atar Adaha, surgeon and medical director at a hospital in north-eastern South Sudan, is the 2018 winner of the UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award.
- The Maharashtra government’s prestigious ‘Lata Mangeshkar Award’ for 2018 will be conferred on Vijay Patil, of the music director duo Raam-Laxman.
- The Vice President of India Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu will confer the “Vayoshreshtha Samman-2018” on the eminent senior citizens and institutions in recognition of their services towards the cause of the elderly persons on the occasion of ‘International Day of older Persons’.
- The 2018 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was awarded to James P. Allison of the United States and Tasuku Honjo of Japan.
- India’s Yuvraj Wadhwani has clinched Asian Junior Squash Championship title after defeating Anas Ali Shah of Pakistan in the final of the boys’ U-13 individual event.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu unveiled the coffee table book, “My Journey”, penned by former Minister and MP T. Devender Goud
- The former BCCI president Biswanath Dutt, best known in Indian cricket fraternity as Jagmohan Dalmiya’s mentor, passed away.
- The renowned filmmaker Kalpana Lajmi has passed away. Lajmi, a director, producer and screenwriter, was known for working on real subjects. She was known for her women-oriented films like “Rudaali”, “Daman”, “Darmiyaan”.
- The renowned hindi commentator Jasdev Singh has passed away.He was credited with popularising hockey through his voice on the radio.
- The Legendary Chicago blues guitarist Otis Rush has passed away.
|23||International Day of Sign Languages (IDSL)||Theme: ‘With Sign Language, Everyone is Included!’|
|27||The World Tourism Day||“Tourism and the Digital Transformation”|
|28||World Rabies Day||________|
|29||World Heart Day||________|
|30||International Translation Day||“Translation: promoting cultural heritage in changing times.”|