Daily Current Affairs: December 30, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (December 30, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Jhansi Railway Station is set to be renamed as Veerangana Lakshmibai Railway Station
- The Uttar Pradesh Government is set to rename Jhansi Railway Station named after Rani Lakshmibai as Veerangana Lakshmibai Railway Station.
- Several places have been renamed after Yogi Adityanath over as the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh — Faizabad Junction is now Ayodhya, Allahabad is now Prayagraj and Mughalsarai Railway Station is now Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological Parks: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden
India welcomes Egypt as a new member of BRICS’ New Development Bank
- India welcomed Egypt as the fourth new member of the BRICS New Development Bank (NDB).
- Bangladesh, United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Uruguay were added as the new member countries of the BRICS New Development Bank in September 2021.
- Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa established the NDB in 2014 to mobilise resources for infrastructure and sustainable development projects in the BRICS nations and other emerging economies and developing countries, complementing existing multilateral and regional financial institutions’ efforts for global growth and development.
New Development Bank (NDB):
- Headquarters: Shanghai, China
- President: Marcos Troyjo
- Founded: 15 July 2014
Japan introduces the world’s first dual-mode vehicle that can run on roads as well as tracks
- Japan introduced the world’s first dual-mode vehicle that equally runs on railway track and road. ̣It has started its commercial operations in Tokushima Prefecture.
- This vehicle can carry up to 21 passengers and can switch between road and railway modes in less than 15 seconds.
- It runs at a speed of 60 km/hr on the rail track while it can go as fast as 100km/hr on main roads.
- Capital: Tokyo
- Currency: Japanese Yen
- Prime minister: Fumio Kishida
Banking & Economy
Union Government extends the GST annual returns filing deadline for FY21 till 28 February 2022
- The Union Government has extended the GST annual returns filing deadline for 2020–21fiscal that ended on March 2021 by two months till 28 February 2022 from 31 December 2021.
- GSTR 9 is an annual return that taxpayers who are registered for the Goods and Services Tax must file once a year. It contains information on outbound and inbound supplies made or received under various tax heads.
- Only taxpayers with an annual turnover of more than ₹2 crores are required to file an annual return, while registered people with an annual turnover of more than ₹5 crores are required to file a reconciliation statement.
Non-Resident Indians and Overseas Citizens of India do not require prior approval to buy or sell immovable property in India
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) clarified that Non-resident Indians (NRIs) and Overseas Citizens of India (OCIs) do not need permission to acquire or sell immovable assets in India.
- At present, NRIs and OCIs are governed by provisions of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), 1999and do not require prior approval of the RBI for acquisition and transfer of immovable property in India, other than agricultural land, farmhouse and plantation property.
Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Formation: 1 April 1935
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: K. Jain, M. D. Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao and T. Rabi Sankar
- Subsidiaries: Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran Limited (BRBNML)
Reserve Bank of India extends the deadline for periodic KYC updates by three months till 31 March 2022
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the relaxation it gave for the operation of client accounts of regulated firms whose periodic KYC (Know Your Customer) updates are required and pending as on date from 31 December 2021 till 31 March 2022.
- A regulated entity is required to undertake KYC compliance from its customers due to the Prevention of Money-Laundering Act, 2002 and the Prevention of Money-Laundering (Maintenance of Records) Rules, 2005.
- Due to non-compliance with KYC requirements, no restrictions were placed on bank accounts related to cash deposits, withdrawals and other transactions.
Ranks and Indices
IIT Madras tops in the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA)
- The Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras) was ranked the most innovative educational institute in India as per the third edition of the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA) launched by the Union Ministry of Education.
- IIT Madras has bagged the first rank for the third consecutive year.
- IIT Bombay was ranked as the second most innovative educational institute in India as per ARIIA.
- The innovation cell of the Union Education Ministry evaluates educational institutions across India on various parameters, including intellectual property rights, entrepreneurship, start-up, technology transfer and commercialisation of research on campus.
Coal India Limited appoints S. K. Mehta as its Chief Financial Officer
- Suneel Kumar Mehta was appointed as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of Coal India Limited (CIL) with effect from 1 January 2022.
- He succeeds Ghatak Choudhry.
- He is currently serving as General Manager (Finance) in Coal India Limited (CIL).
- He has been working in Coal India Limited since 2013.
Durga Shankar Mishra is set to become the Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh
- The Secretary of Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs Durga Shankar Mishra is set to become the Chief Secretary of the Uttar Pradesh Government.
- He will replace Rajendra Kumar Tiwari, who is set to retire in February 2023.
- He is a 1984 batch IAS officer of the Uttar Pradesh cadre and thePresident of the IAS Association. He is also the Chairman of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation.
Radhika Jha was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Energy Efficiency Services Limited
- Radhika Jha was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL).
- EESL is a joint venture between National Thermal Power Corporation, Power Grid, Power Finance Corp and REC Limited.
- She is an Indian Administrative Officer of the 2002 batch and served as the Secretary to the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand from 2017 to 2021.
Awards and Recognitions
Danish Siddiqui was posthumously awarded the Mumbai Press Club’s RedInk Award
- Photojournalist Danish Siddiqui was posthumously awarded the Journalist of the Year 2020 award at the Mumbai Press Club’s RedInk Awards for Excellence in Journalism.
- He was conferred with RedInk’s Journalist of the Year award for his spectrum of investigative and impactful news photography.
- Senior Journalist Prem Shankar Jha was awarded the Lifetime Achievement award for his long and distinguished career of inclusive and analytical writing.
- The RedInk Awards were established by the Mumbai Press Club a decade ago to recognise excellent investigative and feature writing and to improve the bar for journalism in India.
Agreements and MoUs signed
Paytm collaborates with SBI Cards for tokenising cards
- SBI Cards and Payment Services has collaborated with Paytm to enable cardholders to tokenise their cards on devices and make payments through Paytm.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended storing of Card on File Tokenisation (CoFT) by six months to 30 June 2022.
- The SBI Card portfolio enabled on Paytm will be available on Android Near-Field Communication (NFC) devices.
New Zealand batsman Ross Taylor is set to retire from international cricket
- Veteran New Zealand batsman Ross Taylor has announced his decision to retire from international cricket.
- He will retire from test cricket after the two-match series against Bangladesh and play his last limited-overs internationals against Australia and the Netherlands.
- He made his test debut against South Africa in 2008 and played the first of 233 ODIs against the West Indies in 2006. He has also played 102 Twenty20 internationals, becoming the first player to play more than 100 matches for New Zealand in all three formats.
‘Father of Biodiversity’ E. O. Wilson passed away
- Edward O. Wilson, the pioneering Harvard biologist who argued for a new vision of human nature in ‘Sociobiology’ and warned against the decline of ecosystems, passed away at the age of 92.
- He is widely known as the ‘father of biodiversity’.
- He is a two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning author of his books 1978’s On Human Nature and The Ants in 1990.
Former Greek President Karolos Papoulias passed away
- Former Greek President Karolos Papoulias passed away at the age of 92.
- He served as the Greek President for two terms between 2005 and 2015 and was also foreign minister in 1985–89 and 1993–96.
Daily CA-30 December One-Liners
|Jhansi Railway Station is set to be renamed as Veerangana Lakshmibai Railway Station|
|India welcomes Egypt as a new member of BRICS’ New Development Bank|
|Union Government extends the GST annual returns filing deadline for FY21 till 28 February 2022|
|Non-Resident Indians and Overseas Citizens of India do not require prior approval to buy or sell immovable property in India|
|Reserve Bank of India extends the deadline for periodic KYC updates by three months till 31 March 2022|
|IIT Madras tops in the Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARIIA)|
|Coal India Limited appoints S. K. Mehta as its Chief Financial Officer|
|Durga Shankar Mishra is set to become the Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh|
|Radhika Jha was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer of Energy Efficiency Services Limite|
|Danish Siddiqui was posthumously awarded with the Mumbai Press Club’s RedInk Award|
|Paytm collaborates with SBI Cards for tokenising cards|
|New Zealand batsman Ross Taylor is set to retire from international cricket|
|‘Father of Biodiversity’ E. O. Wilson passed away|
|Former Greek President Karolos Papoulias passed away|
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of December 30, 2021, now from the link given below.