DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 15 & 16, 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 15 & 16, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (February 15 & 16, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Attend the Current Affairs Quiz of February 14, 2019, from the link that is provided below.
The expert committee recommends Rs 9,750 monthly national minimum wage
UAS-Dharwad gets India’s first agromet forecast center
Union Minister for Science and Technology, Earth Sciences, Environment Dr Harsha Vardhan inaugurated the North Karnataka Agromet Forecasting and Research Centre (NKAFC), the first of its kind in India on the UAS premises.
The center has been established by the union ministry of earth sciences and the India Meteorological Department, in association with the University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS).
Tax receipts from the digital economy surge to a Rs. 712 crore in FY19
- The market for online advertisements hosted by offshore digital services firms aimed at Indian viewers has increased by 21% so far in FY19 from a year ago, signaling the digital economy rapid growth and the promise it yields to the exchequer.
- Data available with the income tax department showed that the market for online advertisements on which it levies a 6% equalization levy has grown from Rs.9,800 crore in FY18 to Rs.11,870 crore till mid-February this fiscal year, going by the tax collected from these transactions.
‘World Employment and Social Outlook Trends 2019’ Report Released By ILO
- According to the “World Employment and Social Outlook Trends 2019 Report” by ILO , the number of people unemployed is projected to increase by 1 million per year to reach 174 million by 2020 as a result of the expanding labour force.
- An estimated 172 million people worldwide were unemployed in 2018, which corresponds to an unemployment rate of 5.0 percent.
- It is remarkable that, whereas it took only one year for the global unemployment rate to jump from 5.0 percent in 2008 to 5.6 percent in 2009, the recovery to the levels that prevailed before the global financial crisis has taken a full nine years.
ILO Headquarter: Geneva, Switzerland
Director General: Guy Ryder
Pramod Chandra Mody named as the next CBDT chairman
- Senior bureaucrat Pramod Chandra Mody was on Thursday appointed as chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), a top policy-making body for the income tax department, according to a Personnel Ministry order.
- Mody, a 1982 batch Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax cadre), has been appointed in place of Sushil Chandra, who earlier Thursday appointed as an Election Commissioner ahead of the Lok Sabha polls due this summer.
- Mody is at present member of CBDT.
Sushil Chandra appointed new Election Commissioner
- CBDT Chairman Sushil Chandra was on Thursday appointed the new Election Commissioner ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, making the poll panel a three-member entity again.
- The other two members of the Commission are Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sunil Arora and Election Commissioner (EC) Ashok Lavasa.
- Chandra is the second Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer to be appointed to the Commission after T.S. Krishnamurthy, who went on to become the CEC in 2004.
- Chandra’s tenure as chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) was to expire in May 2019.
- Sushil Chandra will fill the vacancy caused by the retirement of O.P. Rawat.
83rd Senior Badminton Nationals: Saina retains the crown
- Saina Nehwal beat P V Sindhu in straight games in the marquee clash of the tournament to retain her women’s singles crown at the 83rd Yonex Sunrise Senior Badminton Nationals in Guwahati on Saturday.
- The three-time former champion Saina used her powerful smashes to telling effect, registering a 21-18 21-15 win against Sindhu, a two-time winner, in the summit clash.
- Sourabh Verma completed a hat-trick of titles at the Senior Badminton Nationals, claiming the men’s singles crown after defeating young Lakshya Sen in straight games
- In men’s doubles, second-seeded makeshift pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Chirag Shetty clinched the title after beating top seeds Arjun MR and Shlok Ramachandran 21-13 22-20 in 33 minutes.
Vidarbha Retain Irani Cup after Draw With Rest of India
- Vidarbha capped off a fairytale 2018-19 season by defending their Irani Cup title at the Jamtha Stadium in Nagpur on Saturday (February 16) thanks to 95-run first innings lead after the match ended in a draw.
- The Ranji Trophy champions remained unbeaten through the season and showed plenty of heart as they chased a 280-run target on the final day.
Pereira named India u-23 coach
- Derrick Pereira was named head coach of the India under-23 team for the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) qualifiers slated to be held in Tashkent from March 22.
- Besides India, the other teams in the group are Tajikistan and Pakistan.
- Pereira, the technical director of ISL club FC Goa, will be in charge of the preparatory camp to be held in Goa from March 2.
Sportstar Aces Awards Announced
- Sportsman of the Year (cricket) Virat Kohli and Jasprit Bumrah
- Sportswoman of the Year (cricket) Smriti Mandhana
- Sportsman of the Year (Racquet sport) A. Sharath Kamal
- Sportswoman of the Year (Racquet sport) P.V. Sindhu and Manika Batra
- Sportsman of the Year (Track and Field) Neeraj Chopra
- Sportswoman of the Year (Track and field) Hima Das
- Sportsman of the Year (Other team sport) Sunil Chhetri
- Sportswoman of the Year (Other team sport) Gurjit Kaur
- Sportsman of the Year (Other individual sport) Bajrang Punia
- Sportswoman of the Year (Other individual sport) Mary Kom and Vinesh Phogat
- Sportsman of the Year (Motorsport) K.P. Aravind
- Team of the Year: Vidarbha Ranji Team
- Coach of the Year: Massimo Constantini
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Prakash Padukone
- Best Young Athlete (male): Saurabh Chahdhary
- Best Young Athlete (Female): Manu Bhaker
- Parathlete sportsman of the Year: Suyash Yadav and Manoj Sarkar
- Parathlete sportswoman of the Year: Deepa Malik
- Best State for Promotion of Sports: Odisha
- Best University for the Promotion of Sports: Army school
- Best PSU/Corporate House for the Promotion of Sports: Railways
- Chairman’s Choice Award: Cheteshwar Pujara
Manfred Eigen, 91, Nobel Winner Passed Away
- Manfred Eigen, who shared the 1967 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for devising a method to time chemical reactions that had been thought too swift to measure, died on Feb. 6 in at his home in Göttingen, Germany. He was 91.
- Mr. Eigen shared the 1967 Nobel Prize for Chemistry for his work on extremely fast chemical reactions. In 1971, he founded Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry in Germany.
- He received a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Institute of Human Virology in the US in 2005.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.