DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 27, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (February 27, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Union FPI Minister launches Market Intelligence and Early Warning System (MIEWS) Portal for Monitoring prices of TOP Crops:
- Union FPI Minister launched the– Market Intelligence & Early Warning System (MIEWS) Web Portal. Portal can be accessed at http://miews.nafed-india.com.
- It is a ‘first-of-its-kind’ platform for ‘real time monitoring’ of prices of tomato, onion and potato.
- Harsimrat Kaur Badal is Union Minister of Food Processing Industries (FPI).
3-day international conference on “EMMDA 2020” held in Noida, Uttar Pradesh
- National Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), functions under the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), has organized a 3-day international conference on “Ensemble Methods in Modelling and Data Assimilation (EMMDA) 2020” in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- It was inaugurated by Dr.Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Science and Technology, Earth Sciences.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
CCEA approves Creation of National Technical Textiles Mission
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved setting up a national technical textiles mission with a total outlay of Rs 1,480 crore.
- The mission will have a four-year implementation period from FY 2020-21 to 2023-24.
- Indian technical textiles segment is estimated at 16 billion dollars.
24th Meeting of the Eastern Zonal Council at Bhubaneswar
- 24th meeting of the Eastern Zonal Council, comprising of the States of Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha and West Bengal, is scheduled to be held on 28th February 2020 at Bhubaneswar.
- Capital: Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
- Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Government of India announces Maiden Summit on Artificial Intelligence
- Government of India announced the mega event, RAISE 2020- ‘Responsible AI for Social Empowerment 2020,’ to be held in New Delhi.
- RAISE 2020 is India’s first Artificial Intelligence summit to be organized by the Govt. in partnership with Industry & Academia.
- Ajay Prakash Sawhney is the Secretary Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
National cyber research and Innovation centre, inaugurated by MoS G.K.Reddy in Hyderabad, Telangana
- Minister of State (MOS) for Home Affairs Ministry, Mr. Gangapuram Kishan Reddy has Inaugurated National Cyber Research, Innovation and capacity centre at Central Detective Training Institute (CDTI) in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- The objective of the centre is to help the nation to combat cyber threats.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
- National Parks (NP)- Kasu Brahmananda Reddy NP, Mahaveer Harina NP, Mrugavani NP
International Conference on Standardisation of AYUSH Terminologies concludes in Delhi:
- 2-day International Conference on Standardisation of Diagnosis & Terminologies in AYUSH Systems of Medicine concluded in New Delhi with adopting the “New Delhi Declaration on Collection & Classification of Traditional Medicine Diagnostic Data.
- Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa & Homoeopathy
- CM: Arvind Kejriwal
- Governor: Anil Baijal
Pepsico To Invest Rs 400 Crore In Assam To Set Up Manufacturing Unit:
- Assam’s Industry Minister Chandra Mohan Patowary on Wednesday said PepsiCo India has proposed to invest Rs 400 crore in the state to set up a greenfield project for manufacturing snacking products.
India ranks 5th in most polluted country
- In accordance with the “2019 World Air Quality Report-Region & City PM 2.5 Ranking” compiled by IQAir AirVisual.
- India ranked 5th as the most polluted country in the world and topped in an annual list of cities with the worst air quality in the world. Ghaziabad as the most polluted city.
- Bangladesh emerged as the most polluted country for PM2.5 exposure. It is followed by Pakistan, Mongolia, Afghanistan, and India at 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th place respectively.
Indradhanush – V 2020: Indo-UK bilateral air exercise begins in Hindan, Uttar Pradesh
- 5-day long 5th edition of Indo-UK (United Kingdom) bilateral air exercise “Indradhanush-V” 2020 between Indian Air Force (IAF) and British Royal Air Forces (RAF) has commenced at Air Force Station Hindan in Uttar Pradesh .
- ‘Base Defence and Force Protection’ was the focus of this year exercise.
- 36 specialised combatants from RAF Regiment & 42 combatants of the GARUD Force from IAF team participated in this exercise.
ADB raises $118 million through offshore India rupee linked 10-year bonds:
- Asian Development Bank (ADB), a regional development bank, has secured Rs 850 crore (about $118 million) from a new issue of offshore Indian rupee-linked 10-year bonds, with the bonds bearing a semi-annual coupon of 6.15% and priced to yield 6.19%.
- This is the such 1st maturity secured in Indian rupees since the year 2017 and gives an established yield curve that starts from 2021 through 2030 with Rs 72.4 billion ($1 billion) of outstanding bonds.
Asian Development Bank:
- Founded- 19 December 1966
- Headquarters- Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- President– Masatsugu Asakawa
Banking and Technology
RBI directs banks to link all the new floating rate loans to medium enterprises with external benchmark
- RBI has directed banks to link all the new floating rate loan to medium enterprises (MEs) with external benchmark.
- Move is aimed at further strengthening monetary policy transmission so that benefits of reduction in key lending rate can be passed on to MEs.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Founded: 1 April 1935.
Realme ropes in Salman Khan as brand ambassador:
- Smartphone brand realme has appointed Bollywood actor Salman Khan as its brand ambassador.
- According to Counterpoint Research, realme was the world’s fastest-growing smartphone brand in 2019. It ranked at the 4th spot in the Indian smartphone market.
- Realme Headquarters: Shenzhen, China
Bob Chapek appointed as Disney CEO he replaces Bob Iger:
- Bob Iger has stepped down as CEO of the Walt Disney Company (DIS), effective immediately.
- Bob Chapek is the new CEO, the board of directors announced. He most recently served as chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products.
- Walt Disney Company Headquarters-Burbank, California, United States.
Awards and Recognition
Sahitya Akademi Award for translation goes to K.V. Jeyasri:
- K.V. Jeyasri, a Tamil teacher from Tiruvannamalai, has won the Sahitya Akademi Award 2019 for her translation of the Malayalam novel Nilam Poothu Malarnna Naal (The day the land bloomed and blossomed) into Tamil as Nilam Poothu Malarntha Naal.
- The award includes a cash prize of rs 50,000 and a copper plaque.
Hurun Global Rich List 2020: Jeff Bezos retains 1st rank, Mukesh Ambani at 9th position
- Hurun Global Rich List 2020 was jointly released by Shanghai-based Hurun Research Institute and Shenzhen-based Shimao Shenkong International Center.
- Jeff Bezos retains 1st rank for the third running year and Mukesh Ambani is positioned at 9th.
Kazuhisa Hashimoto, Creator of Famous ‘Konami Code’ Gaming Cheat, Dies
- Kazuhisa Hashimoto, the man who invented the “Konami code” cheat that became pervasive in video gaming and pop culture, has died.
Former Tamil Nadu Minister K.P.P. Samy
- Former Fisheries Minister and DMK MLA K.P.P. Samy died in Chennai after prolonged illness.
- He was elected from Tiruvottiyur constituency and held the portfolio of Fisheries between 2006 and 2011 in former Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s Cabinet.
Maria Sharapova announces retirement from tennis
- Five-time Grand Slam winner Russian Maria Sharapova, one of the world’s most recognisable sportswomen, announced her retirement at the age of 32.
- Sharapova shot to fame as a giggly 17-year-old Wimbledon winner in 2004. She became world number one in 2005.
- She is the third-youngest player to claim Wimbledon trophy.
Team India continues to be placed at the top of latest ICC Test rankings
- ICC World Test Championship, India continues to be placed at the top of the latest Test rankings with 360 points. However, India skipper Virat Kohli lost the top spot in the ICC Test Player Rankings.
- Kohli’s slump meant Australia’s Steve Smith was back on top of the list for the eighth time after first occupying the top position in June 2015.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 27, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.