Daily Current Affairs : February 5, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 5, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Defence Expo 2020 Starts in Lucknow
- The five-day event will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the presence of Union Defence Minister and Local MP Rajnath Singh.
- The main theme of DefExpo India-2020 will be “India: the emerging defence manufacturing hub”.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Ministry of Tourism to develop 15 thematic circuits in the country
- Tourism ministry, under the Swadesh Darshan scheme is developing thematic circuits in the country in planned manner. Under the scheme 15 thematic circuits have been identified for the development. Ministry also identified 17 Iconic Sites in the country.
- Swadesh Darshan & PRASHAD schemes help in tourism growth.
3rd Defence Attaches Conference held in New Delhi
- Rajnath Singh announced the creation of 10 new Defence Wings so that 10 more Defence Attaches could be appointed. Government has introduced a new scheme to promote defence exports through Defence Attaches.
India’s Biggest Rural Technical Festival ‘Antahpragnya 2020’ In Telangana
- India’s biggest rural technical festival ‘Antahpragnya 2020’ was held in Rajiv Gandhi University of knowledge Technologies (RGUKT), Basar, Nirmal district, Telangana and the festival were inaugurated by M Prashanthi, District Collector of Nirmal, Telangana.
- The festival was held for 3 days from 31st January to February 1,2020. The theme for the year 2020 was “Spot and encourage rural tech innovators”.
- Capital: Hyderabad
- Chief Minister: K. Chandrashekar Rao
- Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
India’s Ambassador to UAE assumes responsibility of India’s Co-Chair of Expo-2020 Dubai Committee
- Navdeep Singh Suri India’s Ambassador to the UAE, has assumed the responsibility of India’s Co-Chair of the Expo-2020 Dubai Committee. Mr Suri was also a recipient of the UAE’s Order of Zayed II honour.
- FICCI is the industry partner of the Indian Government for its participation in Expo-2020 Dubai.
- Theme “Connecting Minds, Creating the Future” and its three sub-themes – Opportunity, Mobility and Sustainability – Expo-2020.
- FICCI Headquarters: New Delhi
- United Arab Emirates
- Capital: Abu Dhabi
- Currency: dirham
- President: Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
Pakistan, Somalia declare locusts a ‘national emergency’ after worst locust invasion
- Government of Somalia announced a National Emergency on Locusts (family- Acrididae) attack because these insects caused major damage to the food supply in one of the world’s poorest countries & and most vulnerable regions in the world.
- The Prime Minister (PM) of Pakistan Imran Khan has also declared a national emergency due to the massive locust’s attack.
DST launches SATHI Initiative for building strong S&T infrastructure
To address the need for building professionally managed & strong Science & Technology infrastructure in the country which is readily accessible to academia, start-ups, industry and R&D labs, the Dept of Science & Technology launched a scheme called SATHI (Sophisticated Analytical & Technical Help Institutes).
Government proposes 5% health cess on import of medical devices
To achieve the twin objectives of supporting local manufacturers & generating funds to create health infrastructure, the Budget has imposed a 5% health cess on import of medical devices. Estimates show that it would generate about Rs 2000 Crore investment.
Reduction of about 147 million Kg of CO2 achieved in FAME India Phase-I
- In order to promote manufacturing of hybrid & EV, Dept of Heavy Industry formulated the scheme-FAME India (Faster Adoption & Manufacturing of Hybrid & EVs in India) commencing from 1 April 2015. Its Phase-I attained the reduction of about 147 mn Kg of CO2.
- Saving of about 59 milion litters of fuel is another achievement.
New low-cost vaccine against swine fever
- The ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research)’s Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) has developed cell culture Classical Swine Fever vaccine.
- Instead of spending Rs 80 in two years to vaccinate a pig against the classical swine fever, the farmers would have to shell out only Rs 2 for the jab.
L&T MBDA Missile Systems sets up missile integration facility in Coimbatore,Tamil Nadu
- Engineering & Construction Company L&T (Larsen & Toubro Limited) and European defence major MBDA Missile Systems have set up a missile integration facility in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu (TN).
- L&T MBDA Missile Systems (LTMMSL) has set up the assembly,’inert’ integration (without explosives) and testing the Missile Subsystems & Weapon launch systems.
Awards and Recognition
Vinod Shukla wins 1st Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award
Noted Hindi poet-novelist and Sahitya Akademi honouree Vinod Kumar Shukla has won the inaugural Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award for his translated book “Blue Is Like Blue“.
Waheeda Rehman to be honoured with Kishore Kumar Samman
- Waheeda Rehman is one of the most popular leading ladies of Hindi cinema. She will be honoured with Madhya Pradesh Government’s National Kishore Kumar Samman.
Babenco: Tell Me When I Die by Barbara Paz bags Golden conch award for best documentary film
- 16th edition of Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) 2020, the oldest international event for non-feature films in South Asia, was held at Nehru Centre Auditorium, Worli, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Canara Bank appointed new MD and CEO
LV Prabhakar has assumed office as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Canara Bank. Prabhakar was earlier the Executive Director at Punjab National Bank.
- Headquarters: Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- Chairman: T. N. Manoharan
- MD & CEO: Lingam Venkat Prabhakar
- Tagline: Together we can
Albin Kurti appointed as the new PM of Kosovo
Albin Kurti (44 years) has been appointed as the new and 4th Prime Minister (PM) of the Republic of Kosovo by its parliament. Albin replaced Ramush Haradinaj as the PM, as Ramush resigned the post in July 2019 when he was summoned to be questioned at the war crimes court in The Hague, Netherlands.
Former Assam Assembly speaker Pranab Gogoi passes away
Congress MLA and former Assam Assembly speaker Pranab Gogoi died at 84. Gogoi was elected from the constituency for four consecutive terms since 2001.
Famous Odia poet Rabindranath Singh passed away at 89
Famous Odia poet and freedom fighter Rabindranath Singh, 89 years old, passed away at Khapuria, Cuttack, Odisha. He was born on 27 January 1931 at Jagatsinghpur district, Odisha.
He was popularly known as ‘Biplabi kabi’ (the revolutionary poet) for his patriotic writings.
Mirabai Chanu Betters Her Own National Record
- In Weightlifting, former world champion Mirabai Chanu bettered her own national record by two kilogram as she lifted a total of 203kg to win the 49kg gold in the National Championships in Kolkata.
BCCI President Sourav Ganguly to be Goodwill Ambassador of Indian team at Tokyo Olympics
- Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has invited BCCI President Sourav Ganguly to become the Goodwill Ambassador of the Indian contingent at the Tokyo Olympics Games 2020.
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 5, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 6 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.