DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 7, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 7, 2018
5th South Asia Region Public Procurement Conference held in New Delhi
- The Fifth edition of South Asia Region Public Procurement Conference was held in New Delhi.Thee timely and quality delivery of public services.
- It was hosted by Public Procurement Division (PPD) of
- Ministry of Finance an objective is to improve public procurement of member countries to ensurd All India Management Association (AIMA).The theme of the conference is “Public Procurement and Service Delivery”.
First-ever Pelican Festival at Atapaka Bird Sanctuary
- The State government has decided to hold the first-of-its kind, one-day Pelican Festival.
- It will be held at the Atapaka Bird Sanctuary on Kolleru, one of the largest freshwater lakes in the country.
- Over 5,000 pelican birds from various countries reach Kolleru lake every year : Amaravatia Pradesh
- during winter by travelling over 3500 km.
Chief Minister: N Chandrababu Naidu
Governor: ESL Narasimhan
Google launches ‘#SecurityCheckKiya’ campaign
- To create awareness around Internet safety, Google India launched a public initiative “#SecurityCheckKiya”.
- It aims to protect young and first-time web users from account hijacking, safeguard Android devices from malicious apps and secure all their personal data if they lose their device.
- The initiative is taken on Safer Internet Day, February 6.
UP in Association with UNICEF Launches DASTAK Campaign
- Uttar Pradesh State government in association with UNICEF has launched massive door to door campaign DASTAK.
- It aims to eradicate deadly Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) and Jpanise Encephalitis (JE) disease in the state.
- aThe United Nations International Children’s Education Fund (UNICEF) is a UN program headquartered in New York City, the USA. Henrietta H. Fore is the Executive Director of UNICEF.
Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
Governor: Ram Naik
Headquarters: New York City
President: Tore Hattrem
SpaceX launches Falcon Heavy, world’s most powerful rocket
- The US entrepreneur Elon Musk has launched his new rocket, the Falcon Heavy.
- It has been launched from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida towards Mars.
- The big new rocket blasted off on its first test flight, carrying a red sports car aiming for an endless road trip past Mars. It aims to make spaceflight cheaper and easier.
- Space Exploration Technologies Corp.,(SpaceX), is a private American aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company headquartered in Hawthorne, California. CEO: Elon Musk.
Sweden provides $370 million dollars to UN WFP
- Sweden and the United Nations World Food Programme has signed a Strategic Partnership Agreement.
- It has committed $370 million dollars to WFP over the next four years.The WEF is the food-assistance branch of the United Nations.
- The contribution for the period 2018-2021 is the biggest ever made by a donor within a WFP Strategic Partnership Agreement.
Currency: Swedish krona
Sushma Swaraj Visit To Saudi Arabia
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will attend the opening ceremony of the 32nd Al Jana-driyah festival in Riyadh.
- India has been invited as the Guest of Honour country for the festival.
- During her three day visit, she will meet with the Saudi leadership to discuss bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest.
Currency: Saudi Riyal
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
Centre for Science and Environment top green policy think tank in India
- The Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) has been ranked the top environment policy think tanks in India while it has secured the 16th position in global rankings, climbing up two positions from the last year.
- In the ‘Energy and Resource Policy Think Tanks’ category, CSE has been ranked the second in India and 38th in the world. In the ‘Best Independent Think Tanks’ category, the green body has been ranked 6th and 123rd in the world. The rank was given by The Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) of the Lauder Institute at the University of Pennsylvania.
Jerome H Powell: 16th Chairman of Federal Reserve
- Jerome Powell was sworn as the 16th chairman of the Federal Reserve, the central bank of the United States.
- The oath was directed by Vice Chairman Randal K. Quarles in the Board Room.
- Powell succeeds Janet Yellen. She is the first woman to lead the nation’s central bank in its 100-year history.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
Ritu Sarin wins International Press Institute’s award
- The International Press Institute’s Indian National Committee has named Ritu Sarin as the recipient of the IPI India Award for Excellence in Journalism.
- She is the Executive Editor- Investigations, the Indian Express.
- She has been awarded for her “sustained work in investigation of crimes, political assassinations, terrorism cases frauds and economic offences”.
Madavoor Vasudevan Nair passed away
- Kathakali maestro Madavoor Vasudevan Nair collapsed on stage and passed away while performing at Agasthyacodu Mahadeva Temple, Anchal in kollam.
- He is a recipient of several awards, including Padma Bhushan.
Gali Muddu Krishnama Naidu passes away
- Former Minister and presently member of Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council Gali Muddu Krishnama Naidu.
- He belongs to Telugu Desam Party.