DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : July 2, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (July 2, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
Tamil Nadu declared ‘Tamil Yeoman’ or ‘Tamil Maravan’ as its state butterfly
- ‘Tamil Yeoman‘, a kind of butterfly found in Western Ghats .It is declared as Tamilnadu state butterfly. It is also known as ‘Tamil Maravan‘.
- Tamil Nadu is the fifth state in the country to announce its state butterfly.
- Its scientific name was Cirrochroa thais. Maharashtra is the first state to declare Blue Mormon (Papilio polgmnestor) as its state butterfly.
- It is followed by Uttarakhand (Common peacock), Karnataka (Southern bird wings) and Kerala (Malabar banded peacock).
- Scientific name – Cirrochroa thais.
- It is known as Tamil Maravan means ‘warrior’
- Habitat: It is endemic to Western Ghats.
- It is found in moist deciduous, evergreen forests and along streams.
- It can be found in groups in large numbers at a few places.
Five-year vision plan EQUIP finalised and released by HRD Ministry
- Prime Minister of India finalized a five-year vision plan for each Ministry.
- The Department of Higher Education of HRD Ministry finalized and released a five-year vision plan named Education Quality Upgradation and Inclusion Programme (EQUIP).
- The ten Expert Groups drawn from senior academicians suggested more than 50 initiatives transform the higher education sector completely. The Groups have set the following goals for higher education sector:
- Double the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in higher education.
- They resolve the geographically and socially skewed access to higher education institutions in India
- Around 50 Indian institutions among the top-1000 global universities.
- The governance reforms in higher education for well-administered campuses to improve quality.
- For each initiative, the Groups recommended modalities for implementation, investments and timelines.
Lok Sabha passed the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers Cadre) Bill 2019
- The Lok Sabha passed the Central Educational Institutions (Reservation in Teachers’ Cadre) Bill 2019 in 1 July 2019. The Bill seeks to replace an Ordinance which was issued in March.
- The House unanimously passed the Bill. The opposition demanded the bill to be referred to the standing committee for a comprehensive review.
- The Bill will reiterate the government’s commitment towards reservation and to give equal opportunity to all as per the Constitution.
- This bill will give enough scope and opportunities in higher education sector in the country.
- The Bill will help fill about 7,000 existing vacancies in 41 Central universities.
- It aims to provide for reservation in appointments by direct recruitment of persons belonging to the SC, ST, Socially and Economically Backward Classes and Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) to the teachers’ cadre in certain Central Education Institution.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi gives a clarion call for water conservation
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi called to start a mass movement for water conservation. The main aim is to resolve to save every drop of water among several parts of the country.
- The campaign should be started focus on water-related problems also propagate ways to save water. Mann Ki Baat programme on All India Radio for the first time after resuming office for the second term.
- The society must be united and people belonging to social and cultural organizations lead this movement. He requested the people to share traditional methods that have been in use over the centuries for the conservation of water. The people to pay a visit to Porbandar to see a 200-year-old water tank.
- The information concerning people who are making significant contributions towards water conservation. #JanShakti4JalShakti to share their content on the matter.
- The initiatives taken by the people for water conservation in many parts of the country to deal with water crisis throughout the country.
- He added a Jal Shakti ministry to allow faster decision-making on all subjects related to water.
- All Sarpanchs and Gram Pradhans to convene a meeting of the Gram Sabhas and discuss the solution to water problem with the villagers. Yoga assumed such an iconic form that over the Himalayas across the Indian Ocean, from air-force to aircraft carriers.
Saudi Arabia increased India’s Haj quota by 30,000
- Saudi Arabia increased India’s Haj quota by 30,000. It was like the third hike in 3 years. It is increased from 1,70,000 to 200,000.
- Indians get a chance to visit annual Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca. It is a city in Hejazi region of Saudi Arabia.
- The issue discussed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman in the ongoing G20 Summit in Osaka Japan. In 2017, Saudi Arabia increased India’s Haj quota by 35,000.
- It was hiked by 5,000.
- Haj subsidy provided by the government withdrawn following the Supreme Court order of 2012. It allowed women to go on Hajj without ‘Mahram’ or male companion.
- Bilateral meeting between India and Saudi Arabia regarding the cooperation in trade and investment, energy security and counter-terrorism.
- Haj is an annual Islamic pilgrimage to Mecca.
About Saudi Arabia:
- Capital: Riyadh
- Currency: Saudi riyal
Aparna Kumar created history by becoming the first civil servant and IPS officer to achieve the 7 Summits challenge
Aparna Kumar created history by becoming the first civil servant and IPS officer to achieve the incredible and rare feat of completing ‘7 Summits’ challenge’.
Kumar hoisted India’s tricolour on Mount Denali in Alaska, USA. Mount Denali is the highest peak of North America standing at 20,310 ft. She scaled the summit in her third attempt.
Mount Denali is considered the third most prominent and third most isolated peak on Earth, after Mount Everest and Aconcagua.
Mount Everest is the highest peak in the world; Aconcagua is the highest mountain in the Southern and Western Hemispheres. It is also the tallest peak outside of Asia.
The seven listed summits in the challenge are:
1) Mount Everest in Nepal/China
2) Aconcagua in Argentina
3) Denali in the US
4) Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
5) Mount Elbrus in Russia
6) Mount Vinson in Antarctica
7) Puncak Jaya and Mount Kosciuszko in Australia
India abstained from voting on a General Assembly resolution aimed to end trade in goods that are used for capital punishment and torture
- India was abstained from voting on a General Assembly resolution aimed to end trade in goods that are used for capital punishment and torture.
- India said that it is unacceptable to place death penalty on par with torture.
- India also said that this current resolution may start a duplicative parallel process related to ‘goods’ used for torture and capital punishment and create ambiguity by conflating different issues.
United Nations General Assembly:
- Founded on: 1945
- Headquarters: New York, United States
- President: María Fernanda Espinosa
- Subsidiaries: UNICEF, United Nations Development Programme, United Nations System Staff College.
India has signed Rs.200 crore deal with Russia to acquire Strum Ataka
- India has signed Rs.200 crore deal with Russia to acquire Strum Ataka. The anti-tank missile will be added to the fleet of Mi-35 attack choppers of Indian Air Force (IAF).
- This deal comes in wake of an IAF’s attempt to keep itself battle-ready in situations like post-Balakot aerial strikes.
- The Strum Ataka anti-tank missile would give an added capability to Mi-35 attack choppers of IAF to take out enemy tanks and other armoured elements.
- Mi-35s are set to be replaced with Apache gunships being acquired from United States (US) and slated to be delivered from August onwards.
RANKING & INDEX
India slips to place to 74th in terms of money in Swiss Banks
- The annual banking statistics report compelled by the Swiss National Bank (SNB), India slipped to 74th place in terms of money with Swiss banks. UK (United Kingdom) remained top in the list of the survey.
- India holds 6% in 2018 to 955 million Swiss francs (about Rs.6,757 crore). A second lowest level in over two decades.
The top-ranked countries in the list are:
UK, the US (United States).
2. West Indies, France, and Hong Kong.
India placed at 75th position in the year 2015 it obtained 61st in 2014
- India ranked highest at 37th place in the year 2004.
- The total money held in Swiss banks by foreign clients across the world about 4 percent to CHF 1.4 trillion (about Rs 99 lakh crore) in the year 2018.
- The United Kingdom accounted at CHF 372 billion.
- It is over 26% of the total foreign funds till December 2018. USA remains second with CHF 144 billion accounts 10.3% of foreign funds.
- India lowest ranked among the BRICS nations. Russia is ranked the highest (20th) followed by China (22nd), South Africa (60th) Brazil (65th).
- India’s neighboring nations ranked lower with Pakistan(82nd), Bangladesh (89th), Nepal (109th), Sri Lanka (141st), Myanmar (187th) and Bhutan (193rd).
About Swiss National Bank:
A central bank of Switzerland is responsible for the monetary policy of the nation of Switzerland and also for the issuing of Swiss franc banknotes.
- Chairman: Thomas Jordan
- Headquarters: Bern and Zurich
COMMITTEE & RECOMMENDATION
Andhra Pradesh government has formed a committee on the Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs)
- The Andhra Pradesh government has formed a committee on the Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) on 1 July.
- The committee will review, negotiate and reduce the high wind and solar power purchase prices and submit its report in 45 days.
- The Power Distribution Companies (DISCOMS) in Andhra Pradesh State are in financial crisis as the power purchase dues amounted to ₹20,000 crore. The crisis is due to the abnormally priced wind and solar PPAs entered in the recent years.
- The committee will provide affordable power to consumers and pull DISCOMS of the crisis.
- It will also factor the lowest wind and solar energy rates in the corresponding years in the country, current rates, opportunity cost for power from AP-Genco plants, existing thermal contracts and Central generating station allocations.
Telecom Ministry constituted a committee to revive Telecom sector
- Union Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had constituted a committee chaired by Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan to spell out revival plans for Telecom sector.
- The committee headed by Telecom Secretary Aruna Sundararajan would submit its report in 2 weeks’ time.
- Aruna Sundararajan is India’s Telecom Secretary and Chairman of the Telecom Commission. Aruna Sundararajan Committee will look into the entire issue of removing ambiguities in ease of doing business and also to revisit the whole issue of SUC.
- The committee will review levies, including spectrum usage charge (SUC), and promote Ease of Doing Business (EDB) in telecom sector. Reduction of levies and fees, as licence fee, SUC and universal service levy, has been a long-standing demand of Telecom industry.
- In case of any issues which require clarity, committee has been directed to seek views of Solicitor General. Committee would also look into previous recommendations provided by sectoral regulator TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) on the issue.
- The Government of India is also looking into revival plan for state-owned BSNL (Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited) and MTNL (Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited).
‘One Nation One Ration Card’ scheme will be available across the country from July 1, 2020
- Central government’s ambitious project of ‘One Nation One Card‘. A beneficiary can buy subsidized food grains from any ration shop. The scheme will begin on 1 July 2020.
- The Central government given states and Union Territories till June 30, 2020, to use point of sale (POS) machines in the ration shops and the scheme can be implemented. Around 77% % of the ration shops across the country have POS machines.
- Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Telangana and Tripura are the states which provide the portability of Public Distribution System (PDS) entitlements.
- The government is implementing the National Food Security Act(NSA) under which food grains are supplied every month. They are supplied every month at highly subsidized rates of Rs 1-3 per kg to over 80 crore people.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Sir Mark Tully was conferred with Lifetime Achievement Award 2019 at UK-India Awards in London
Veteran British journalist Sir Mark Tully was conferred with Lifetime Achievement Award 2019 at UK-India Awards in London. The award celebrates special talents and organisations who use their worldwide influence to strengthen UK-India ties.
Market Entrant of the Year category– Oyo, Indian hospitality.
Social Impact category– British Telecom (BT).
Global Indian Icon of the Year– Kunnal Nayyar, best known for his role as Rajesh Koothrappali on US sitcom.
The Big Bang Theory Special Significant Contribution to UK-India Relations Award- To Indian-origin peer and Cobra Beer founder.
Lord Karan Bilimoria Start-up of the Year Award- Maanch, a new platform that matches up funders and receivers to accelerate global sustainable development.
Nitesh Kumar Jangir Indian Engineer won innovation award in UK
- An Indian engineer, Nitesh Kumar Jangir won the Commonwealth Secretary–General’s Innovation for Sustainable Development Award 2019.
- The award won in the “People” category in London, UK (United Kingdom)
- It is for the creation of a low-cost neonatal breathing device named “Saans“.
- The main use for saving the lives of newborn babies.
- The award was presented by Prince Harry, Youth Ambassador of Commonwealth and Patricia Scotland, Commonwealth Secretary-General.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Former Navy Chief Admiral Sushil Kumar authored a book titled “A Prime Minister to Remember,” released
- Former Navy Chief Admiral Sushil Kumar authored a book named “A Prime Minister to Remember- Memories of a Military Chief” got released.
- The book is published by Konark Publishers Pvt Ltd, New Delhi.
- The book explains about a distinguished career in the Indian navy. This incident happened during the Kargil War and Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee.
- Operation Parakram launched after the terror attack on the Indian Parliament. It also talks about the Admiral.
Max Verstappen won 2019 Austrian Grand Prix
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen won the 2019 Austrian Grand Prix. He defeated Ferrari’s, Charles Leclerc. Mercedes Valtteri Bottas met continuous win and finishes with the third one.
- Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel became fourth. Five-time world champion Mercedes Lewis Hamilton won fifth place.
About 2019 Austrian Grand Prix
- 2019 Austrian Grand Prix which is formally known as the Formula 1 my World Großer Preis von Österreich 2019 was a Formula One motor race.
July 2 – World UFO Day
- World UFO Day is celebrated every year on July 2.
- The day reminds us of the possible existence of aliens in the Universe. In summer 1947, the Roswell UFO incident reminds us of world-renowned conspiracy theory about the existence of aliens.
- A farmer discovered unidentifiable debris in his sheep fields just outside Roswell, New Mexico.
- A local Air Force base claimed the debris came from a crashed hot air balloon but many people thought that they were remnants of a flying saucer.
- World UFO Day is celebrated to increase awareness among people to keep watch on the skies for any signs of aliens who may come to visit our world.
- The term ‘UFO’ for Unidentified Flying Object was coined by US Air Force officer Edward Ruppelt.
- World UFO Day was organized by WorldUFODay.com in 2001, and was put together to bring together enthusiasts of UFO’s and the evidence they’ve all gathered to support their existence.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.