DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 22, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: MARCH 22, 2018
Jackfruit declared Kerala’s official fruit
- The Kerala government has declared jackfruit as its official fruit.
- The official announcement in this regard was made by the Agriculture Minister, VS Sunil Kumar, in the State Assembly.
- The aim is to promote the ‘Kerala jackfruit’ as a brand in markets across the country and abroad, showcasing its organic and nutritious qualities.
Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
Governor: P. Sathasivam
Important Cabinet Approvals
- The Cabinet approves opening of 18 new Indian Missions in Africa.
- It approves North-East Industrial Development Scheme (NEIDS) 2017.
- It approves continuation of National Health Mission till March 2020.
- It approves continuation of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan – National Higher Education Mission.
- It apprised of MoU between India and Guyana on cooperation in Renewable Energy and approves revision of DTAA between India and Qatar.
NHAI Receives Best Design Pavilion Award
- The NHAI pavilion has been adjudged as BEST DESIGN PAVILION.
- It was conferred at the 105th Indian Science Congress at Imphal.
- The award was conferred by Dr. Najma Heptulla, Governor of Manipur.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Chairman: Deepak Kumar
IRCTC Introduces Billing Through Point of Sale in Trains
Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has introduced the use of Point of Sale (POS) machines.
It is to implement compulsory billing of food in trains to overcome overcharging.
The first POS machine has been made available on the SBC-NDLS Karnataka Express on pilot basis.
This is a part of the Railways’ new ‘no bill, no payment’ policy.
Union Cabinet Approves ‘Ayushman Bharat’ Health Scheme
- The Union Cabinet has approved the launch of the Ayushman Bharat — National Health Protection Mission (AB-NHPM), which was announced in the Budget.
- The scheme will provide a cover of ₹5 lakh per family per year.
- Union Cabinet has also approved the continuation of the National Health Mission – with effect from 1st April 2017 to 31st March 2020 with a budgetary support of Rs. 85,217 crore as Central Share over this period.
GIC Re to Operate from Lloyd’s in London
- General Insurance Corporation., GIC Re starts its operations in Lloyd’s London office.
- Its aim is to increase the share of international business and making India a regional reinsurance hub.
- It has developed overseas business through branch offices in London, Dubai and Kuala Lumpur. The company is present in 161 countries.
1st G20 Ministerial Meeting Held in Argentina
- The first G20 meeting of finance ministers and central bank governors began in Buenos Aires, with the presence of 57 delegations from countries and institutions.
- The second meeting of G20 finance ministers and central bank governors will be held in Washington on April 20.
President: Mauricio Macri
Capital: Buenos Aires
Currency: Argentine peso
Russia launches manned spacecraft to ISS
- A Russian carrier rocket blasted off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, sending three astronauts aboard the Soyuz MS-08 spacecraft to the International Space Station (ISS).
- Russian cosmonaut Oleg Artemyev and his US colleagues Andrew Feustel and Richard Arnold will join three astronauts from Russia, the US and Japan on the ISS.
President: Vladimir Putin
Currency: Russian ruble
BANKING AND ECONOMY
Hyderabad ranks 1st in quality of living index: Report
- Austria’s capital city Vienna rated the world’s most liveable city for the ninth consecutive year.It was followed by Switzerland’s Zurich, while New Zealand’s Auckland and Germany’s Munich tied for third place.
- Hyderabad and Pune have been rated India’s most livable cities as they have tied for the 142nd place. New Delhi was the lowest ranked city in India.
- Iraq’s capital city Baghdad has been rated the least liveable city for the tenth consecutive year.
- A global consulting firm and a wholly owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies, released the 2018 Quality of Living ranking.
Singapore Airport Rated World’s Best
- The Singapore Changi Airport has been named the world’s best airport for the sixth consecutive year by consultancy firm Skytrax.
- The Incheon International Airport in South Korea and Haneda Airport in Japan were placed second and third respectively.
- The Mumbai airport has been ranked 63rd, the airports in Bangalore and Delhi are at 64th and 66th place respectively.
Peru’s president Pedro Pablo Kuczynski resigns
- Peru’s President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski announced his resignation.
- He is expected to be replaced by Vice President Martin Vizcarra.
- His decision came in the wake of allegations of wrongdoing. He had paid $800 million in bribes to obtain construction contracts in 10 Latin American countries, including Peru.
World Water Day – 22 March
- The World water day is observed on March 22. The main symbol of the World Water Day celebration is the shape of water drop of blue color.
- The theme for World Water Day 2018 is ‘Nature for Water’ – exploring nature-based solutions to the water challenges we face in the 21st century.
CHECK YOUR KNOWLEDGE HERE