Daily Current Affairs: March 23, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (March 23, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Meteorological Day – 23 March
- World Meteorological Day is observed every year on 23 March to highlight the importance of the role that people and their behavior play in protecting the Earth’s atmosphere. The day also commemorates the establishment of the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) on 23 March 1950.
- 2021 Theme: “The ocean, our climate and weather”
TRIFED signed an MoU with the Government of Arunachal Pradesh for the implementation of MSP for the MFP Scheme and Van Dhan Yojana
- TRIFED and the Government of Arunachal Pradesh have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the implementation of the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for Minor Forest Produce (MFP) Scheme and the Van Dhan Yojana in the state of Arunachal Pradesh.
- As a part of its mission to improve the livelihoods of the tribals (both forest dwellers and artisans) and work towards tribal empowerment, TRIFED has been carrying out several programmes and initiatives.
- Capital: Itanagar
- Chief Minister: Pema Khandu
- Governor: BD Mishra
Uttar Pradesh Government developed India’s first FPO portal to benefit farmers at grassroots level
- Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath launched the UPFPO Shakti Portal as part of the Kisan Kalyan Mission at an event in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- The portal is the first of its kind in the country, was developed by the Department of Agriculture with the support of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and is aimed at benefitting the farmers at the grassroots level.
- The portal will bring farmers, producer groups, traders and the Department of Agriculture, and other allied departments of the State Government on one platform.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological Park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan (Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden
Karnataka Government joined hands with ITC to execute Watershed Development Programme
- ITC Limited had entered into a partnership with the Government of Karnataka to execute a Watershed Development Programme covering over 1 million acres and 100 watersheds across the state.
- ITC created a consortium of experts to train the government team to apply the company’s drought-proofing framework for planning, implementation, and monitoring of the programme. ITC, through its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programmes is implementing watershed development programmes in many parts of the country.
- Capital: Bengaluru
- Chief Minister: BS Yeddyurappa
- Governor: VajubhaiVala
- National Park: Anshi National Park, Kudremukh National Park, Bandipur National Park, Bannerghatta National Park, Rajiv Gandhi (Nagarahole) National Park
Union Minister Harsh Vardhan inaugurated a new Advanced High-Resolution Microscopy Facility at NABI
- Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Science & Technology Harsh Vardhan inaugurated the new Advanced High-Resolution Microscopy Facility at the National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI) and unveiled the 4-Star GRIHA Certification of Center of Innovative and Applied Bioprocessing (CIAB) Lab and Admin Building at Mohali in Punjab.
- Both NABI and CIAB are autonomous institutes under the Department of Biotechnology, Union Ministry of Science & Technology.
Union Sports Ministry had decided to extend the Khelo India scheme from 2021-22 to 2025-26
- Union Sports Ministry had decided to extend the Khelo India scheme from 2021-22 to 2025-26. The Ministry had furnished an Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) memorandum to the Union Ministry of Finance for extension/continuation of the Khelo India Scheme from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- An amount of Rs. 8750 crores had been estimated as a financial implication of the new Khelo India scheme (2021-22 to 2025-26) in the EFC memorandum furnished to the Union Ministry of Finance. An amount of Rs. 657.71 crores had been allocated in the Budget Estimate for the year 2021-22 under the Khelo India scheme.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid tribute to freedom fighter Ram Manohar Lohia on his birth anniversary on 23 March
- Ram Manohar Lohia was an activist in the Indian independence movement and a socialist political leader. During the last phase of the British rule in India, he worked with Congress Radio which was broadcast secretly from various places in Bombay until 1942.
Sri Lanka signed a three-year $1.5 billion currency swap deal with China
- Sri Lanka exchanged currency with China under a 10-billion-yuan (about 1.5 billion) agreement aimed at promoting trade and investment between the two countries.
- China remains Sri Lanka’s largest source of imports. In 2020, imports from China amounted to $3.6 billion, or just over 22 per cent of Sri Lanka’s imports.
- Capital: Colombo
- Currency: Sri Lankan Rupee
- Prime Minister: Mahinda Rajapaksa
- President: Gotabaya Rajapaksa
India has the world’s fourth strongest military: Military Direct’s study
- According to a study released by the defence website Military Direct, China has the strongest military force in the world while India stands at number four.
- The rank was followed by the USA (74 points), Russia (69 points), India (61 points) and France (58 points). The UK just about makes the Top 10, coming in 9th place with a score of 43.
- The study stated that the “ultimate military strength index” was calculated after taking into consideration various factors, including budgets, the number of inactive and active military personnel, total air, sea, land, and nuclear resources, average salaries, and weight of equipment.
India participated in the Nowruz celebrations at the SCO in Beijing
- India participated in the Nowruz festivities at the SCO Secretariat in Beijing. Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) celebrates 2021 as the ‘Year of Culture’.
- India showcased performances of Kathak, Yoga, Indian cuisine, artefacts to an audience of more than 500. Eighteen countries, including all the member countries, dialogue partners, and observer countries, presented their cultural diversities, including their cuisine.
Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
- Headquarters: Beijing, China
- Secretary-General: Vladimir Norov
- Founded: 15 June 2001
- SCO Countries: China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan
Banking and Economy
IRDAI increased maximum cover under the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy from 5 lakhs to Rs 10 lakhs
- Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) had hiked the maximum cover under the standard health insurance plan ‘Arogya Sanjeevani Policy’ from Rs. 5 lakhs to Rs. 10 lakhs to bring more people under the health insurance scheme.
- The insurance regulator had made it mandatory for insurers to offer a sum insured between Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 10 lakhs under the Arogya Sanjeevani Policy as against the previous range of Rs. 1 lakhs to Rs. 5 lakhs.
- Arogya Sanjeevani is the standardised health insurance product that was launched in March 2020.
IRDAI (Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority)
- Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
- Chairman: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
RBI imposed a ₹15-lakh penalty on Fedbank Financial Services Limited
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had imposed a monetary penalty of ₹15 lakh on Fedbank Financial Services Limited (Fedfina), Mumbai, for non-compliance with certain provisions of the central bank’s directions on monitoring of frauds. This penalty was imposed in exercise of powers vested in RBI under the provisions of the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934.
- Fedfina is a subsidiary of the Federal Bank. The bank has a 74 per cent stake in the non-banking finance company (NBFC).
Reserve Bank of India (RBI)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Formation: 1 April 1935
- Governor: Shaktikanta Das
- Deputy Governors: 4 (BP Kanungo, MK Jain, MD Patra, M Rajeshwar Rao)
- Subsidiaries: Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), Bharatiya Reserve Bank Note Mudran (BRBNM)
Shyamala Gopinath panel to evaluate applications for Universal and Small Finance Banks
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had set up a five-member committee headed by former Deputy Governor Shyamala Gopinath for evaluating applications for Universal Banks as well as Small Finance Banks.
- The RBI’s guidelines for ‘on-tap’ Licensing of Universal Banks in the Private Sector (1 August 2016) and Guidelines for ‘on-tap’ Licensing of Small Finance Banks in the Private Sector (5 December 2019) indicated that the applications for Universal Banks and Small Finance Banks would be initially screened by the Reserve Bank to ensure prima facie eligibility of the applicants.
Acquisitions and Mergers
JKTPO signed an MoU with TPCI for Agro & Food processing and Film Tourism sectors
- Jammu and Kashmir Trade Promotion Organisation (JKTPO) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Trade Promotion Corporation of India (TPCI) for the Agro & Food Processing sector and Film Tourism sector.
- The MoU was signed between the Managing Director of JKTPO, Ankita Kar, and Chairman of TPCI, Mohit Singla.
FICCI signed an MoU with IFSCA for the development of GIFT City as a world-class Fintech hub
- FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry) and IFSCA (International Financial Services Centres Authority) signed an MoU to establish a framework for collaboration and co-operation for the development of Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT) IFSC as a world-class FinTech hub.
- FICCI will also assist IFSCA in the development of FinTech Accelerator programmes in GIFT IFSC, amongst other cooperation areas.
- The MoU was signed by Injeti Srinivas, Chairman of IFSCA and Dilip Chenoy, Secretary-General of FICCI.
FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry):
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Secretary-General: Dilip Chenoy
- President: Sangita Reddy
Union Ministry of Defence signed a contract with MDSL to supply Light Specialist Vehicles to the Indian Army
- Union Ministry of Defence (MoD) signed a contract with Mahindra Defence Systems Limited (MDSL) for the supply of 1,300 Light Specialist Vehicles to the Indian Army, at a cost of Rs. 1,056 crores. The induction of vehicles is planned to be completed in four years.
- The Light Specialist Vehicle is a modern fighting vehicle and will be authorised to various fighting units for the carriage of Medium Machine Guns, Automatic Grenade Launchers as well as Anti-tank Guided Missile.
Awards and Recognitions
67th National Film Awards: Complete list of winners
- The Central Government had announced the 67th National Film Awards. The awards are for films from the year 2019. The event was organised by the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. The awards honour the best of the talents from across various film industries in the country, including Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, and Marathi, among others.
- Best Actor: Manoj Bajpayee for Bhonsle (Hindi) and Dhanush for Asuran (Tamil)
- Best Actress: Kangana Ranaut for Panga (Hindi) and Manikarnika: The Queen of Jhansi (Hindi)
- Best Supporting Actress: Pallavi Joshi for The Tashkent Files (Hindi)
- Best Supporting Actor: Vijay Sethupathi for Super Deluxe (Tamil)
- Best Direction: Sanjay Puran Singh Chauhan for Bahattar Hoorain (Hindi)
- Best Feature Film: Marakkar: Lion of the Arabian Sea (Malayalam)
- Best Debut Film of a Director: Mathukutty Xavier for Helen (Malayalam)
- Best Hindi Film: Chhichhore
- Best Telugu Film: Jersey
- Best Malayalam Film: Kalla Nottam
- Best Tamil Film: Asuran
- Best Kannada Film: Akshi
- Special Mention: Jonaki Porua (Assamese), Lata Bhagwan Kare (Marathi) and Picasso (Marathi)
- Most Film Friendly State: Sikkim
- Best Child Artist: Naga Vishal for KD (Tamil)
- Best Action Direction: Avane Srimannarayana (Kannada)
- Best Choreography: Maharishi (Telugu)
- Best Special Effects: Marakkar: Lion of the Arabian Sea (Malayalam)
- Special Jury Award: Oththa Seruppu Size 7 (Tamil)
- Best Lyrics: Prabha Varma for Kolaambi (Malayalam)
- Best Music Direction: D Imman for Viswasam (Tamil)
- Best Editing: Jersey (Telugu)
- Best Audiography (Re-recordist of the final mixed track): Oththa Seruppu Size 7 (Tamil)
- Best Cinematography: Jallikattu (Malayalam)
- Best Film on Environment: Water Burial (Monpa)
- Best Direction: Sudhanshu Saria for Knock Knock Knock (English/ Bengali)
- Special Jury Award: Small Scale Societies (English)
- Best Animation Film: Radha (Musical)
- Best Film on Social Issues: Holy Rights (Hindi) and Ladli (Hindi)
- Best Book on Cinema: A Gandhian Affair: India’s Curious Portrayal of Love in Cinema, by Sanjay Suri
- Best Film Critic: Sohini Chattopadhyay
- Best Educational Film: Apples and Oranges (English)
IIT Kharagpur won the CoreNet Global Academic Challenge 6.0
- A team of four undergraduate students from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, emerged as winners at the CoreNet Global Academic Challenge 6.0, sponsored by Cushman and Wakefield, KI, and Interior Architects.
- The team comprised Siddhant Samarth, Pratim Majumdar, Rishita Raj, and Utkarsh Agrawal. They were guided by Jenia Mukherjee (Department of Humanities and Social Sciences).
- This is the first time that a squad from India had emerged as winners in the CoreNet Global Academic Challenge since the inception of the competition in 2015.
Noted writer and director Sagar Sarhadi passed away at 87
- Veteran writer and director Sagar Sarhadi passed away at the age of 87. He was known for his films like Yash Chopra’s Kabhi Kabhie (1976), Silsila (1981), Faasle (1985), and Chandni (1989).
- He even wrote the dialogue for Basu Bhattacharya’s Anubhav (with Kapil Kumar, 1972), Raj Kanwar’s Deewana (1992). Sarhadi turned director with “Bazaar” in 1982.
India’s Singhraj won gold in the Para Shooting World Cup 2021
- Indian para-athlete Singhraj won a gold medal in the 2021 Para Shooting World Cup at Al Ain in the UAE. He defeated Uzbekistan’s Ibragimov in Men’s 10m Air Pistol SH1 final.
International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF):
- Headquarters: Munich, Germany
- President: Vladimir Lisin
- Founded: 1907
Kamalpreet Kaur breaks national record in the Women’s discus throw
- Kamalpreet Kaur set a new senior national record in the discus throw with an attempt of 65.06 m in the Federation Cup Senior Athletics Championships in Patiala, Punjab.
- Kamalpreet Kaur hurled the discus 65.06 m and comfortably breaching the Olympic qualification mark of 63.50 m and shattered the previous national record of 64.76 set by Krishna Poonia in 2012.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 23, 2021, now from the link given below.