Daily Current Affairs: March 6, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (March 6, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Dentist’s Day
- Dentist day is celebrated on March 6th every year to raise awareness about dental health in the country.
- Indian Dental Association conducts Continuing Dental Education programs to update dentists in various fields and thereby improving dental care.
Govt sanctions projects worth over Rs 301 crore in food processing sector:
- Union Government has sanctioned ten projects worth over 301 crore rupees in the food processing sector. These projects are likely to generate employment for ten thousand people and benefit nearly forty thousand farmers.
- The projects were sanctioned at a meeting of the Inter-Ministerial Approval Committee under the Chairpersonship of Food Processing Industries Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
- The projects were sanctioned under the Agro Processing Cluster Scheme of Kisan Sampada Yojana.
Prime Minister to address inaugural session of the Economic Times Global Business Summit:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address inaugural session of the Economic Times Global Business Summit held in New Delhi. He will be addressing delegates from across the world.
- Theme of Global Business Summit-2020 is “Collaborate to Create: Sustainable Growth in a Fractured World”.
Global Ayurveda Festival curtain raiser is a perfect tribute to late Sushma Swaraj:
- Fourth Global Ayurveda Festival (GAF) will be held at Kochi in Kerala from 16th to 20th May. A curtain raiser event was organized in New Delhi.
- The theme for the five-day event is “Ayurveda Medical Tourism: Actualizing India’s credibility”.
3-day Namaste Orchha festival begins in Madhya Pradesh:
Madhya Pradesh, ‘Namaste Orchha’ festival is starting from today in Orchha, a famous tourist destination of the state.
Orchha is famous for its Ramaraja temple as well as other historical buildings.
Gairsain will be the summer capital of Uttarakhand
- Chief Minister of Uttarakhand Trivendra Singh Rawat announced ‘Gairsain’ as the summer capital of the state, on the 3rd day of the budget session held in Gairsain, Uttarakhand.
- Capital- Gairsain (summer capital), Dehradun (winter capital).
- Chief Minister: Trivendra Singh Rawat
- Governor- Baby Rani Maurya.
- National Parks- Corbett NP, Gangotri NP, Govind Pashu Vihar NP, Nanda Devi NP, Rajaji NP, Valley of Flowers NP.
International Conference on Nanoscience and Nano Technology held in Kolkata:
- Department of Science and Technology operating under Ministry of Science and Technology organized an International Conference on Nanoscience and Nano Technology (ICONSAT) at Kolkata.
Sri Lanka to lead science, technology and innovation sector in BIMSTEC:
- Sri Lanka will lead the science, technology and innovation sector in the BIMSTEC and a facility for technology transfer is also planned to be open in the future. This was agreed during the 20th Session of the senior officials’ meeting held in Colombo, Srilanka.
- Sri Lanka is serving as chair of BIMSTEC (Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) from 2018 to 2020.
Mumbai set to host IOC session in 2023
- Mumbai is set to host the 2023 International Olympic Committee’s session after the IOC Executive Board recommended the Indian city for the annual conference.
- The IOC Executive Board decided to put Mumbai’s candidature to a vote of the members. The decision is to be ratified at the 136th IOC session in Tokyo in July 2020.
IIT Bombay & IIT Delhi find a place in top 50 for engineering institutes QS World University Ranking 2020
- According to the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings 2020 by Subject, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay and IIT Delhi have made it to the top 50 institutes in the world for the category of engineering and technology and ranked 44th and 47th respectively.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge,US (Unites States) ranked at top position.
Banking and Finance
Govt imposes withdrawal limit of Rs 50,000 for depositors of Yes Bank for a month
- The government has imposed a withdrawal limit of 50,000 rupees for depositors of beleaguered private lender Yes Bank for one month. An official notification issued by the finance ministry said that the cap will stay in effect till 3rd of April.
- Former Chief Financial Officer of SBI Prashant Kumar has been appointed as administrator for Yes Bank.
Equitas Small Finance Bank gets SEBI approval to launch IPO
- Equitas Small Finance Bank received Securities and Exchange Board of India’s (SEBI) approval to launch its Initial Public Offering (IPO).
- The IPO includes a fresh issue of shares worth Rs 550 crore and an offer-for-sale (OFS) of 8 crore equity shares by Equitas Holdings Limited (EHL), the promoter, according to a document filed with market regulator SEBI.
ICICI Prudential AMC ties up Saraswat Co-op Bank to tap rural potential:
- ICICI Prudential AMC (Asset Management Company), one of the leading mutual fund investment companies in India, has entered into the partnership with Saraswat Co-operative Bank.
- An urban co-operative banking institution, to distribute its products with the latter’s customers base spread across its 280 branches in 6 states
ICICI Prudential AMC:
- Headquarters– Mumbai,Maharashtra
- Managing Director and CEO– Nimesh Shah.
RBI Deputy Governor N.S. Vishwanathan resigned ahead of retirement
- Reserve Bank of India deputy governor NS Vishwanathan has quit three months ahead of his retirement in June due to health reasons.
- At present three deputy governors B. P. Kanungo, Mahesh Kumar Jain and Michael Patra.
Janez Jansa was sworn in as Slovenia’s new Prime Minister:
- Slovenia’s lawmakers have approved the Leader of Slovenian Democratic Party (SDS) Janez Jansa as Slovenia’s new Prime Minister. He will replace center-left Prime Minister Marjan Sarec who resigned from his post in January 2020.
- Janez Jansa led the Slovenian government from 2004 to 2008 and from 2012 to 2013. He has a close ally of Poland’s Jaroslaw Kaczynski and Hungary’s Viktor Orban.
- Capital– Ljubljana
- Currency- Euro
- President– Borut Pahor
Anurag Srivastava to replace Raveesh Kumar as Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson
- Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer Anurag Srivastava will replace Raveesh Kumar as the spokesperson of Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Srivastava is currently serving as India’s Ambassador to Ethiopia and African Union. He is a 1999-batch IFS officer.
Kriti Sanon as the new brand ambassador of ITC Vivel:
- ITC Ltd-owned personal care brand Vivel announced the appointment of Bollywood actor Kriti Sanon as its new brand ambassador.
- The brand has launched a new campaign featuring Sanon for its cooling portfolio of soaps and body washes which has ingredients like mint and cucumber.
Awards and Recognition
Times of India Sports Awards (TOISA) 2019 function held in New Delhi
- World champion shuttler PV Sindhu was today named Sportsperson of the Year at the fourth Times of India Sports Awards (TOISA) 2019 in New Delhi.
- Former India football captain Bhaichung Bhutia was given the Lifetime Achievement award, while hockey legend and three-time Olympic gold medallist Balbir Singh Sr was honoured with the Icon of the Century award.
- National badminton coach Pulella Gopichand won the Mentor of the Year award, while former shooter Jaspal Rana was recognised as the Coach of the Year.
- India’s first world championship silver medallist pugilist Amit Phanghal won the recognition among male boxers while Lovlina Borgohain bagged the award among female boxers.
Books and Authors
Smriti Irani releases book titled “Chronicles of Change Champions”
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Zubin Irani released a book titled “Chronicles of Change Champions” at an event held in New Delhi.
- The book is a compilation of 25 innovative initiatives taken at the state and district levels under the Prime Minister’s flagship scheme of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao.
Sports Authority of India announces first edition of Khelo India Women’s Hockey League Under-21
- Sports Authority of India in association with Hockey India today announced the first edition of the Khelo India Women’s Hockey League Under-21.
- Phase one will be held from 23rd to 29th of this month at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium in New Delhi. The second phase will be held from 13th to 19th at the SAI Centre in Bengaluru, followed by the final one from 22nd to 29th November at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.