DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : MARCH 9, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : MARCH 9, 2018
Diu becomes first UT to run 100% on solar power:
- The harnessing of solar energy has made Diu the country’s first energy surplus Union territory and a model for an effective way for people to harness this renewable energy source.
- The Union territory has an area of just 42 square kilometres. Despite scarcity of land, solar power plants have been installed over more than 50 acres.
- Diu generates a total of 13 megawatts of electricity from solar power generating facilities daily.
- Around 3 MW is generated by rooftop solar plants and 10 MW by its other solar power plants.
- Governor of Daman and Diu: Praful Khoda Patel
Shivraj Singh Chouhan announces pension for single women:
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan on Women’s day announced ‘Mukhyamantri Mahila Kosh’ scheme under which women who aren’t married and are above the age of 50 will be given pension.
- Chouhan also took the occasion to assert that any person who will misbehave with women will be hanged in public.
- capital of Madhya pradesh: Bhopal
- Governor: Anandipen Patel
Mumbai is now the 16th most expensive city.Knight Frank Wealth Report 2018:
- Mumbai ranks 16th among the top 20 costliest cities in the world, showed the Knight Frank Wealth Report 2018.
- Guangzhou, a city in china, tops the list with property prices appreciating by 27.4% in last one year.
- The rise in Indian financial capital’s ranking on this count is supported by the rapid wealth creation in the country. The index is drawn from four major indicators: wealth, investments, lifestyle and future.
- Hong Kong ranked Second and New york in the third position
- Capital of Maharashtra : Mumbai
- The Wealth Report 2018 Commissioned by Lord Andrew Hay.
World ATM Congress WATMC 2018 held in Spain:
- AAI participates in World ATM Congress held at IFEMA, Feria de Madrid,spain.Now entering its sixth year, World ATM Congress is the world’s largest international air traffic management (ATM) exhibition and conference attracting thousands of delegates each year.
- The AAI is showcasing its achievements and initiatives, through a stall at the conference which was inaugurated by A.K. Dutta, Member (ANS).
- Dutta said that “Our participation in this mega event is primarily to showcase our achievements and initiatives as a major Air Navigation Service Provider(ANSP) in the Asia Pacific region.
- The platform provides an opportunity to learn emerging technologies in aviation thereby being able to meet the challenges of rapid growth of air traffic in this region.
- Spain capital: Madrid
- Currency: Euro
MSME launched Udyam Sakhi Portal for Women Entrepreneurs:
- On the occasion of International Women’s Day today, March 8,the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises(MSME) launched a portal for women entrepreneursof India: www.udyamsakhi.org.
- The portal was unveiled by the Minister of State (Independent Charge) of MSME, Giriraj Singh, in a program today at the Ambedkar International Centre, New Delhi.
- The portal is a network for nurturing entrepreneurship and creating business models for low cost products and services in order to empower women and make them self-reliant and self-sufficient.
- Joint Secretary, Ministry of MSME, Alka Arora and Additional Development Commissioner-MSME, AnantSherkhane were also present on this occasion.
Event named “ Vision for Future “ marks 70 yrs of Indo Russia ties:
- To mark the 70th anniversary of Indo-Russia ties, Ministry of External Affairs (Eurasia Division) in collaboration with the International Federation of Indo-Russian Youth Clubs and BRICS International Forum organized an event called “Vision for Future” in New Delhi.
- The event sought to expose the youth to the dynamic opportunities of cooperation between the two countries.
- Capital of Russia: Moscow
- Currency: Russian ruble
- President: Vladimir Putin
Delhi Police launches ‘All Women Patrolling Squad’:
- Delhi Police launches ‘All Women Patrolling Squad’ in south district.The initiative of the squad was conceived with twin objectives.
- On one hand, it is designed to give a greater sense of security to the girls and women moving on road and at public places.
- On the other hand, it is a step forward in encouraging and motivating female police personnel by making the system more inclusive for them and putting them as the pro-active front of field policing.
- With the motto – Be the change, you want to see – wearing on their sleeves, the women suad riding mean machine in Delhi’s south district aims to protect women from cat-callers and instil a sense of confidence among women.
‘WINGS INDIA 2018’ Event Gets Underway:
- The four-day biennial event ‘WINGS INDIA 2018 ‘, jointly organized by Ministry of Civil Aviation and Airport Authority of India and FICCI got underway in Hyderabad today.
- The theme of the four-day biennial event this year is ‘India-Global Aviation Hub’. WINGS INDIA 2018 is a platform for interactions, forging alliances, investments and air connectivity between the States and the global aviation players & stakeholders.
- Coinciding with WINGS India 2018, FICCI is set to launch its maiden edition of ‘WINGS INDIA AWARDS’ for Excellence in the aviation sector.
- FICCI – Federation of indian chambers of commerce and industry.
- Headquarters: New Delhi,India.
RBI slaps Rs. 40 lakh penalty on SBI over counterfeit notes:
- The Reserve Bank has slapped a penalty of Rs 40 lakh on SBI for not complying with its directions on detection and impounding of counterfeit notes.
- “The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed, on March 01, 2018, a monetary penalty of Rs 4 million on State Bank of India for non-compliance with the directions issued by RBI on Detection and Impounding of Counterfeit Notes,” the central bank said in a notification issued today.
- Sbi Chairman: Rajnish Kumar
- Governor of RBI : Urjit Patel (24th)
Government Launches Biodegradable Sanitary Pads for Rs. 2.50 on womens day:
- The Suvidha pads will be available at all Janaushadi centres by May 28, 2018 which is also World Menstrual Hygiene Day.
- NEW DELHI: The government launched a biodegradable sanitary pad ‘Suvidha‘ on Thursday to mark International Women’s Day.
- The oxo-biodegradable sanitary pads priced at Rs. 2.50 per pad will be available at Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi centres.
ISSF World Cup : Anjum Moundgil claims silver:
- Indian shooter Anjum Moudgil clinched a silver medal in the women’s 50m rifle 3 position event at the ongoing ISSF World Cup in Guadalajara, Mexico.
- It was Anjum’s first World Cup medal as she battled windy conditions to shoot 454.2 in the 45-shot final to finish behind former junior world champion Chinas Ruijiao Pei (455.4).
- Another Chinese Ting Sun claimed bronze, finishing with a score of 442.2. This was India’s eighth medal in the competition and the first silver after having won three golds and four bronze medals already, for their best ISSF World Cup performance by far.
- Currency of Mexico: Mexican peso
- ISSF: International Shooting Sports Federation
- National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) President: Raninder Singh