DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 18, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (May 18, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
ICGS Vigraha decommissioned at Vishakhapatnam:
- Indian Coast Guard Ship (ICGS) ‘Vigraha’ decommissioned at Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- ICGS Vigraha was the seventh offshore patrol vessel built by the Mazagaon Dock Limited, Mumbai and it was commissioned on April 12, 1990. It was the seventh offshore patrol vessel built by the Mazagaon Dock Limited, Mumbai.
CBIC Government launches “Project SPARROW” for CBIC officers for over 400 formations of CBIC across India:
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) had started online writing of Annual Performance Appraisal Report (APARs) in SPARROW (Smart Performance Appraisal Report Recording Online Window) for Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officers in Customs and Central Excise in 2016-17.
- The CBIC said it will conduct annual performance appraisal of over 46,000 Group B and C officers online, a move aimed at better human resource management.
Kerala Assembly to digitise all records, to save Rs 35 crore annually:
- The state has awarded the work to the Uralungal Labour Contract Cooperative Society and it has started working on the ambitious project called E-Vidhan to enable the state to go completely paperless legislature.
- e-Vidhan, a Mission Mode Project (MMP) has been initiated as a part of Digital India program for State Legislatures and e-Sansad for Parliament.
India-Botswana hold Foreign Office Consultations in Delhi:
- The third round of Foreign Office Consultations between India and Botswana was held in New Delhi.
- The Indian side was led by Joint Secretary, East and Southern Africa in the Ministry of External Affairs Dr. Neena Malhotra. The deliberations provided an opportunity to review the entire gamut of bilateral relations, including political, economic, commercial, defence, consular and international cooperation.
Nuclear test ban body offers India ‘observer’ status:
- The Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO) has offered India an “Observer” status and access to International Monitoring System (IMS) data.
- CTBT is a global treaty that runs IMS which constantly monitors the Earth for nuclear explosions and shares evaluative findings with its member states. CTBTO’s headquarters is in Vienna, Austria. IMS has 337 facilities, located in 89 nations.
Bilateral Exercise Between Indian & Republic of Singapore Navies – SIMBEX 18 – marks Silver Jubilee this Year:
- 25th edition of SIMBEX, an acronym for “Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise” is scheduled from 10th to 21st November 2018 off Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal.
- INS Kolkata and INS Shakti the 2 warships of the Indian Navy participated in a 3-day Asia Pacific naval and maritime event titled the International Maritime Defence Exhibition Asia (IMDEX Asia-2019) (it commenced on May 14, 2019) held in Changi Exhibition Centre, Singapore.
Saudi Arabia approves permanent residency for first time:
- The Saudi government has approved for the first time a scheme that gives permanent residency to certain expatriates, allowing them to own real estate in the kingdom and reside with their families without a Saudi sponsor.
- They are eligible to reside with their families without a Saudi sponsor (Kafeel). This new system is named as the “Privileged Iqama”.
- The scheme is commonly called as the Saudi Green Card. Three years ago, this was announced for the first time by the Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman as a part of Vision 2030 plan.
BANKING & BUSINESS
IBC process helps recover Rs 70,000-crore bad loans in FY19: CRISIL
- Under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) higher than the recoveries made through other mechanisms, the recovery rate is twice the liquidation value of the all the 94 cases resolved in the year 2018-19.
- Rs.70,000 crore bad loans were recovered through the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC) with a recovery rate of 43 percent in 94 cases, said a report by credit rating agency CRISIL.
REPORTS/ RANKINGS BY VARIOUS ORGANISATIONS
Arunachal has 35% of India’s Graphite Deposits: GSI Report
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) in its report notified that the highest graphite reserves of India, that is, around 35% of India’s total Graphite reserves are found in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The data was presented during GSI’s annual interactive meeting with the Department of Geology and Mining & Industries, Government of Arunachal Pradesh in Itanagar.
Global Drug Survey: Indians lead world in seeking help to reduce drugs intake
- According to the 8th edition of Global Drug Survey (GDS) 2019, Indians are seeking help more than any other countries to reduce their alcohol intake.
- GDS is an independent research organization based in London, UK. The survey was conducted online in between October and December 2018. People participated from India are mostly male (age 25 to 34 years).
Ujjivan Small Finance Bank appoints Nitin Chugh as next MD and CEO:
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank Limited has appointed Nitin Chugh as its next Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) from December 1, 2019.
- The appointment comes at the end of an extensive search undertaken by the board as a part of the succession planning process, pursuant to the upcoming retirement of the bank’s current MD and CEO, Samit Ghosh, on November 30, 2019.
ICC World Cup 2019: Sourav Ganguly, Sanjay Manjrekar named in ICC commentary panel
- Former cricketers Sourav Ganguly and Sanjay Manjrekar along with cricket writer and commentator Harsha Bhogle have been named in the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) commentary panel for the upcoming World Cup, beginning May 30 in England and Wales.
For the first time, all-female referee team to officiate AFC Cup game for men:
- The Asian Football Confederation announced that for the first time an all-female referee team will take charge of a Men’s Continental Club Cup Clash.
- Japanese referee Yoshimi Yamashita and assistants Makoto Bozono and Naomi Teshirogi will officiate the AFC Cup match between Myanmar’s Yangon United and Cambodia’s Naga World at the Thuwunna Stadium, Myanmar.
IMPORTANT EVENTS OF THE DAY
World Telecommunication and Information Society Day: 17th May
- The purpose of World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD) celebrated every year on May 17, to help raise awareness of the possibilities that the use of the Internet and other information and communication technologies (ICT) can bring to societies and economies, as well as of ways to bridge the digital divide.
- Theme of 2019: “Bridging the standardization gap”
World AIDS Vaccine Day: May 18th
- World AIDS Vaccine Day, also known as HIV Vaccine Awareness Day, is observed annually on May 18. HIV vaccine advocates mark the day by promoting the continued urgent need for a vaccine to prevent HIV infection and AIDS.
Veteran Telugu actor Rallapalli Venkata Narasimha Rao passes away:
- Veteran Telugu actor Rallapalli Venkata Narasimha Rao passed away at a private hospital in Hyderabad following a cardiac arrest. He was 74.
- Some of his well-known films include ‘Thoorpu velle Railu’, ‘Srivariki Prema Lekha’ and ‘Rendu Rellu Aaru’.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL