DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : May 27, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (May 27, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Fifth Smart Cities India Expo held in New Delhi
- The fifth Smart Cities India 2019 expo, including Transport India, Solar India, Buildings India and Water India expos, was held in New Delhi.
- It was inaugurated by Housing and Urban Affairs Secretary Durga Shanker Mishra on 22 May 2019.
- The expo was organised by India Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO) and Exhibitions India Group, the event builds upon Government of India’s ‘Smart Cities Mission’ through a display of a vast array of products and solutions relevant to building smart cities in India.
India bans Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh terror outfit
- Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh also called as Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen India or Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Hindustan declared as a banned terrorist organization by the government, the Home Ministry .
- In a notification, the home ministry said the outfit has committed acts of terrorism, promoted acts of terrorism and has been engaged in radicalization and recruitment of youths for terrorist activities in India.
- The Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh or Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen India or Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Hindustan and all its manifestations have been inserted in the First Schedule to the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967.
Donald Trump becomes first foreign leader to meet new Japanese emperor
- US President Donald Trump became first foreign leader at Japan’s Imperial Palace where he made history becoming the first world leader to meet with the new emperor of Japan.
- Emperor Naruhito ascended to the throne on May 1, opening what is called the era of “Reiwa,” or “beautiful harmony.”
- US President who is on a four-day state visit to Japan was treated to a welcome ceremony full of pomp and pageantry.
- Reign:1 May 2019 – Present
- Predecessor: Akihito
- 126th monarch – According to Japan’s traditional order of succession
Sweden to host World Leaders Conference to Combat Anti-Semitism in October 2020
- Swedish Prime Minister Stefan Lofven announced that Sweden will host an International Conference against Anti-Semitism in memory of the Holocaust in October 2020.
- It will be held in Malmo, Southern Sweden, on October 27 and 28, 20 years after the Declaration of the Stockholm International Forum on the Holocaust and 75 years after the liberation of the Auschwitz concentration camp.
- The decision to fight against anti-Semitism is taken after the relations with Israel have been in trouble since the Nordic state’s recognition of a Palestinian state by Lofven’s Government in 2014.
- After the attacks in Paris and Copenhagen in 201 5, the Simon Wiesenthal Centre had called for a European conference against anti-Semitism.
- Anti-Semitism is a hostility to, prejudice, or discrimination against Jews.
- It is generally considered to be a form of racism.
- Capital: Stockholm
- Currency: Swedish Krona
BANKING & FINANCE
Corporation Bank launches Corp SME Suvidha for MSMEs
- Corporation Banklaunched ‘Corp SME Suvidha’, a product for GST-registered MSMEs.
- The product has been designed as part of the bank’s efforts to provide the best products to the MSME sector.
- PV Bharathi, Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation bank, launched the product in Mangaluru recently.
About Corporation Bank
- Founded:12 March 1906
- Founder: Khan Bahadur Haji Abdullah
- Headquarters: Mangalore, Karnataka, India
- Revenue: ₹19,411.24 crore
RBI proposes guidelines for large Non-Banking Financial Companies
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) released draft guidelines on liquidity risk management framework for non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) and core investment companies (CICs) with an aim to help them deal with severe liquidity problems and prevent re-occurrence of IL&FS type of debt crisis.
- The guidelines were released after an analysis of the recent developments in the NBFC sector.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
Wirecard teams up with India to issue PAN cards
- Wirecard, a German Payments Company announced that it would work with India to simplify the process of issuing tax identity cards which required for opening bank accounts, transfer money and complete business transactions.
- The deal between Wirecard and state company UTI Infrastructure Technology and Financial Services seeks to widen the distribution of Permanent Account Number (PAN) card.
- Currently, Wirecard has a network of 15,000 retail agents in 350 cities of India which would help in collecting and scanning of documents that people need to apply for a PAN card.
- Capital: Berlin
- Currency: Euro
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Prof. Bhargava awarded 2019 Dr Lee Jong-wook Memorial Prize
- Director General of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) Professor Balram Bhargava jointly won the 2019 Dr. Lee Jong-wook Memorial Prize for Public Health at the 72nd World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland.
- He bagged the award for his achievements as a clinician, innovator, researcher, and trainer.
Dr. Lee Jong-wook Memorial Prize:
- The Dr. LEE Jong-wook Memorial Prize for Public Health was established in 2008.
- It is awarded to individuals, institutions, and governmental or nongovernmental organizations who have made an outstanding contribution to public health.
- The prize is awarded once a year and consists of a plaque from the Founder and a sum of money which will not exceed US$ 100 000.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Lieutenant General Shailesh Tinaikar of India appointed to head UN peacekeeping operation in South Sudan
- The commandant of the Indian Army Infantry School, Lieutenant General Shailesh Tinaikar, aged 57appointed as the new force commander of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) by the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres.
- He will succeed Lieutenant General Frank Kamanzi of Rwanda. He will command over 1 6,000 peacekeepers which include nearly 2,400 from India.
About the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS):
- Established by. United Nations Security Council Resolution 1996
- Founded: July 9, 2011
- Headquarters: Juba, South Sudan Head: David Shearer
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Isro’s new commercial arm NewSpace India officially inaugurated
- NewSpace India Limited (NSIL), the commercial arm of Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro), was officially inaugurated in Bengaluru on 23 May 2019.
- It was inaugurated by Isro’s honorary adviser, Dr K Kasturirangan in the presence of chairman Dr K Sivan. Capital – NISL is provided with an authorised share capital of Rs 100 crore and initially paid-up capital of Rs 10 crore.
- NSIL’s main objective is to scale up industry participation in Indian space programmes.
- It will be responsible for manufacturing the and production of Small Satellite Launch Vehicle (SSLV) and Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) through technology transfer mechanisms.
DRDO successfully flight tested Inertial Guided Bomb from an Su-30 MKI aircraft
- Defence Research and Defence Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested a 500 kg class Inertial Guided Bomb from a Su-30 MKI aircraft at the Pokhran test range in Rajasthan.
- The indigenously-developed guided bomb achieved the desired range and hit the target at a distance of 30 km away with high precision. All the mission objectives have been met.
- The weapon system is capable of carrying different warheads. India has carried out several such trials in 2019. DRDO is engaged in developing defence technologies covering various disciplines.
- The test firing of the guided bomb comes two days after the Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully test fired the aerial version of the supersonic BrahMos cruise missile from a Sukhoi jet at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The 2.5-tonne air-to-surface missile has a range of around 300 km, and it will significantly enhance the IAF’s combat capability.
Bayern Munich clinched 2019 German Cup
- Bayern Munich clinched German Cup 2019. Bayern Munich defeated RB Leipzig.
- Bayern Munich won the final 3–0 for their 19th DFB-Pokal title.
- With the win, Bayern completed their 12th domestic double.
- Therefore the team will play away the 2018–19 Bundesliga runners-up Borussia Dortmund in the 2019 DFL-Supercup in August 2019.
2019 DFB-Pokal Final:
- Date: 25 May 2019
- Venue: Olympiastadion, Berlin
- Man of the Match: Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich)
Apurvi Chandela bags gold medal in 10m Air Rifle in ISSF World Cup
- India won third International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup Rifle and Pistol tournament in Munich, Germany.
- Apurvi Chandela won gold in the women’s 10m Air Rifle competition after a closely-fought contest. She shot a score of 251 in the final to outshine Wang Luyao of China, who shot 250.8.
- This was Apurvi’s second ISSF World Cup gold of the year followed by a world record score in New Delhi.
- After the first round of qualifying in the women’s 25m Pistol, Asian Games champion Rahi Sarnobat stood in the second position with a score of 294.
China beat Japan won 2019 Sudirman Cup
- China won the badminton world mixed-team championship, Sudirman Cup 2019 in Nanning.
- They beat Japan in men’s doubles, women’s singles and men’s singles and won the title for the 11th time.
- In the latest Men’ singles match Shi Yuqi stunned world champion Kento Momota for 15-21, 21-5,21-11.
About 2019 Sudirman Cup
- Dates: 19–26 May
- Edition: 16th
- Venue: Guangxi Sports Center
- Location: Nanning, China
- Capital: Beijing
- President: Xi Jinping
- Currency: Renminbi (yuan)
India bags 57 medals at India Open International tournament
- India bags a total of 57 medals including 12 Gold, 18 Silver and 27 Bronze at India Open International Boxing tournament in Guwahati.
- MC Mary Kom, Shiva Thapa, L Sarita Devi, and Naman Tanwar won gold in their respective finals.
- This was Mary’s second gold in the tournament, having won in 48 kg last year in the capital.
- On the other hand, Deepak defeated Govind Kumar in 49 kg final while in 52 kg category- Amit Panghal defeated Sachin.
World Thyroid Day observed on May 25
- World Thyroid Day is celebrated annually on May 25.
- It is observed to educate public on checking thyroid function regularly, awareness of the disease and to initiate precautionary action.
- This day was celebrated for the first time in 2008 by the American Thyroid Association(ATA) and the European Thyroid Association(ETA).
- The main focus of this year is on the children with or at risk of developing thyroid diseases due to the rising incidence of thyroid disease including pediatric thyroid cancer.
About American Thyroid Association (ATA):
- Founded: 1923
- President: Elizabeth N. Pearce
About European Thyroid Association(ETA):
- Founded: 1965
- Chairman: Peter Smyth
Kalpana Dash, Odisha’s first woman mountaineer passed away at the age of 50 near Balcony area of Mount Everest
- Kalpana Dash, Odisha’s first woman mountaineer passed away at the age of 50 near Balcony area of world’s highest peak Mount Everest.
- She hailed from Dhenkanal district in Odisha. She accompanied with Kanchimaya Tamang of the Himalayan Kingdom and Liamu Mank of China to scale Mount Everest.
- The team was lead by the veteran mountaineer Pemba Dheeraj Sherpa.
- Earlier, she claimed Mount Everest in the year 2008 and scripted history.
- She was climbing the mountain for the past 1 5 years during which she claimed mountains in Europe, America, Australia, and India.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL