Current Affairs One Liners : August 8-14 | Download as PDF
- The Centre has declared entire Assam state as a disturbed area under the Armed Forces Special Powers Act, AFSPA for one more month.
- The Jammu and Kashmir government would spend Rs 1 lakh crore on development works in the next five years, with special emphasis on education and road connectivity.
- The government has merged the National Crimes Records Bureau (NCRB) which is present both in India and abroad, with the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D).
- The government has formulated a detailed action plan with timelines for smooth implementation of WTO’s trade facilitation agreement (TFA).
- The Centre has decided to observe this Independence Day as ‘Sankalp Parva’ and termed ‘Quit India Movement’ as an important milestone, the government has asked people to take a pledge to create a new India that is strong, prosperous and inclusive.
- The 2030 Water Resources Group (2030WRG) will help the Maharashtra Government raise $270 million from the Green Climate Fund, which will be invested in integrated watershed programmes such as Jalyukt Shivar Yojana.
- Mumbai’s first marine Mammal rescue centre to come up at Juhu and the state government plan to invest Rs1 crore to build rescue centres in every district along Maharashtra’s 720-km coastline.
- The government has launched the Measles-Rubella (MR) vaccination campaign in a phased manner for across the country to reduce measles morbidity and mortality.
- In order to make National Highways green, clean and pollution free, the National Highways Authority of India has planted 2.59 lakh plants in the last one year.
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEF&CC) is implementing two major afforestation / tree plantation schemes i.e. National Afforestation Programme (NAP) scheme and National Mission for a Green India (GIM).
- The Bombay High Court accepted Maharashtra government’s statement that it would not allow children below the age of 14 years to participate in the ‘Dahi Handi‘ festival.
- NITI Aayog has shortlisted Uttar Pradesh, Assam and Karnataka under its ‘Sustainable Action for Transforming Human Capital’, SATH initiative to handhold them and transform their health sector.
- Odisha government has said, it is expecting to collect 17000 crore rupees fine from the mine owners who have extracted minerals illegally.
- 70 government office buildings in Chhattisgarh’s Raipur is being converted into India’s first micro forest in order to create an oxy-zone.The micro forest will provide fresh air to Raipur which is the seventh most polluted city in the world.
- Delhi University’s PGDAV (Evening) College is set to get a fully automatic Air Quality Monitoring Station, in collaboration with the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC).
- Minister of State for Human Resource Development Upendra Kushwaha launched the NCERT’s Web portal for supply of textbooks to schools and individuals at a function in New Delhi.
- Gujarat has issued tender for power developers to receive cheap coal marked for the state in return of selling it coal-based power at less than Rs 2.82 per unit.
- All rural households in Kerala and Haryana access to a toilet report. The survey is released by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation and was carried out by the Quality Council of India (QCI).
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath flagged off ‘Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra’ from his official residence in Lucknow.
- A new set of future satellites called hyper spectral imaging satellites is set to add teeth to the way India is gleaned from about 600 km in space.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presented the second volume of Economic Survey 2016-17 in both houses of the Parliament authored by Chief Economic Adviser Arvind Subramanian and his team.
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar flagged off mobile therapy vans which would provide basic medical assistance to elderly people, widows and other section who requires social security.
- Gujarat government is setting up a brand new “Japanese Industrial Park” on the Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC) passing through Ahmedabad.
- Union Minister of State for Road Transport and Highways, Shipping and Chemicals and Fertilizers, Shri Mansukh Lal Mandviya, presided over the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signing ceremony between the Union Government and the State Government of Uttar Pradesh for opening 1000 Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) Kendras in the State.
- Telangana Government has announced a new supplementation scheme for Sriram Sagar Project (SRSP) with an outlay of Rs 2,000 crore, half of which will be spent for modernisation of the canal system and the rest for installation of the pumping facility.
- The Supreme Court issued a directive that insurance of a vehicle will not be renewed unless the owner provides pollution under control (PUC) certificate.
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) imposed an interim ban on use of non-biodegradable plastic bags which are less than 50 microns in the entire national Capital.
- Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Ministry will celebrate Sankalp to Siddhi – New India Manthan in all the districts of the country from 19th to 30th of this month.
- Heritage Conservation Society has launched a scheme – ‘Nabin Tan Mon Bikash Yojana’ – in memory of Nabin Sharma. The scheme is especially for school children.
- Union Minister Mahendra Nath Pandey launched a new video of the National Anthem in sign language and said the government addressed the physically challenged “divyang” and not “viklang” to ensure there was no distinction.
- Chief minister Naveen Patnaik launched ‘She Means Business’ programme of Facebook for women entrepreneurs in Odisha. Under the scheme 25, 000 women entrepreneurs and self-help group (SHG) members will be given training on digital marketing skills within next one year.
- Delhi will have the fastest growth of any city in Asia, with the economy of the city-state likely to become almost 50% larger in 2021 than it was at the end of last year.
- Centre has appointed lyricist Prasoon Joshi as Chairman of the Central Board of Film Certification, CBFC, for a period of three years. Mr Joshi has replaced former Chairman Pahlaj Nihalani.
- The FIAT Rail Bogie Karkhana, set up at Badiyal and Kadechur Villages in Yadgir district of Karnataka will be inaugurated by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on August 18.
- The National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has approved 10 projects in Bihar, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh worth about Rs 2,033 crore. “Eight of these projects pertain to sewage infrastructure and treatment, one to river front development and another to Ganga Knowledge Centres,”.
- Around 3.5 lakh college students in Gujarat will get tablets at a subsidised rate of Rs 1,000 each under a state government scheme launched by chief minister Vijay Rupani in Ahmedabad.
- The India-ASEAN Youth Summit begins in Bhopal. The event is being organised by Foreign Ministry, Madhya Pradesh government and India Foundation.
- The country’s first aviation university at Fursatganj in Uttar Pradesh’s Rae Bareli district is all set for inauguration on August 18.
- The world’s visually impaired will be the subject of some serious discussions at the upcoming 2nd World Congress of Optometry to be held in Hyderabad International Convention Centre during September 11-13.
- The Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Shaurya’, an indigenously built offshore patrol vessel by Goa Shipyards, was commissioned at Panaji, in Goa.
- ‘Gaj Yatra’ campaign has been launched in Mumbai in a bid to raise awareness about the shrinking space for wild elephants in the country.
- Brunei, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam – will participate in the India-ASEAN Youth Summit to be held in Bhopal from August 14-19.
- The 8th meeting of the Regional Technical Group of Confidence Building Measure on Trade, Commerce & Investment Opportunities under the Heart of Asia – Istanbul Process was hosted by India, as the Lead Country, in New Delhi.
- Bangladesh will soon open a new diplomatic station in Chennai. The main focus of the new diplomatic station in Chennai will be to address the needs of Bangladeshi citizens who visit India for medical and educational purposes.
- Citizens of 80 countries including India can now enter Qatar visa-free. The countries include India, the UK, the US, Canada, South Africa, Seychelles, Australia and New Zealand.
- India has ratified the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol that commits countries to contain the emission of greenhouse gases, reaffirming its stand on climate action.
- India and US will be co-hosting the Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) at Hyderabad from 28-30 November, 2017. The Summit is a unique opportunity for bringing together entrepreneurs and start ups with global leaders.
- The working session of the 15th Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation, BIMSTEC, Ministerial meeting is held at Kathmandu. Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba has inaugurated and address the meeting.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan became the first Indian actor to hoist the Indian National Flag at the Indian Film Festival Of Melbourne (IFFM 2017).
- The UN World Health Organisation (WHO) said it had not recorded any case of polio disease in Somalia in the last three years, declaring the country polio free.
BANKING AND BUSINESS
- MasterCard and PayPal have extended their partnership into Asia Pacific to enhance the consumer experience and make MasterCard a clear payment option with PayPal.
- PNB customers will have to pay charges for depositing cash above Rs 5,000 in a non-base branch even if it is located in the same city.
- Iran’s official news agency says two Iranian companies have signed the country’s biggest-ever car deal worth several hundred million dollars with French multinational automobile manufacturer Group Renault to produce 150,000 cars, beginning in 2018.
- Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) has reduced its benchmark lending rate known as marginal cost of funds based lending rate — by 5-15 basis points (bps) across loan tenures.
- Amazon India has said it signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Telangana Department of Handloom and Textiles, to educate, train and enable weavers and artisans to directly sell their products to Amazon customers across the country.
- ONGC Videsh, the overseas arm of the state-run Oil and Natural Gas Corp, plans to invest $150 million in exploration this fiscal year to drill more wells in Colombia, as well as in Kazakhstan and Bangladesh.
- Axis Bank lowered the interest rate on savings accounts (SAs) of up to Rs 50 lakh by 50 basis points (bps) to 3.5 per cent. The bank will continue to pay 4 per cent interest on savings accounts with balances of more than Rs 50 lakh.
- Private sector lender IDFC Bank has partnered with digital payments company Zeta, to launch ‘IDFC Bank Benefits’ – a payment solution for corporate that digitises employee spends and claims, making the process simple, real-time and paperless.
- Amazon announced the launch of virtual customer service (VCS) model, an initiative launched to create cost efficient employment prospects for skilled candidates seeking more flexible work opportunities and has been launched in Hyderabad, Pune, Coimbatore and Noida.
- ICICI Bank, India’s largest private sector bank by consolidated assets, announced the launch of instant credit cards.
- The Department of Financial Services, Ministry of Finance, has set up a committee to resolve the pending issues of bank pensioners and retirees.
- Vijaya Bank has disbursed loan sanction letters to beneficiaries who were trained at the Vijaya Bank Self Employment Training Institute (VIBSETI) in Bhenslay Village, Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- The NSDC and Google India will come together to train app developers for mobile platform on the Android and web platforms, a move aimed at improving the country’s mobile application development ecosystem.
- The National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) has admitted insolvency proceedings against Lanco Infratech Ltd, among the 12 identified cases referred to the tribunal following the Reserve Bank of India.
- IDFC Alternatives Ltd’s India Infrastructure Fund II has raised long-term project finance of Rs250 crore by selling non-convertible debentures to infrastructure debt funds and financial institutions.
- Securities and Exchange Board of India, SEBI, has introduced an online registration mechanism for custodians of securities to make it convenient for them to do business. Markets regulator said, the new system will help custodian of securities to complete registration and other regulatory filings with SEBI much faster and in a cost-effective manner.
- Facebook has rolled out ‘Watch‘ – a redesigned video platform for creators and publishers.
- Softbank announced that it has invested over $2.5 billion— a mix of primary and secondary capital—in the e-commerce company. With this massive infusion, Softbank has become one of Flipkart’s largest shareholders.
- The Reserve Bank issued the final guidelines on tri-party repo transactions as part of its attempt to energise the corporate bond market and generate more liquidity in the segment.
- Union Bank of India’s board of directors gave ‘in-principle’ approval to induct Dai-ichi Life Holdings group company Asset Management One Company as a strategic partner in Union Asset Management Company Pvt Ltd (Union AMC).
- The Multi Commodity Exchange Ltd (MCX) has received capital markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India’s (SEBI) approval to launch options on gold, said two people with direct knowledge of the matter.
- The government said the merger of the five associate banks with the SBI will lead to increased capital base and availability of loan, as the Lok Sabha passed the bill approving the amalgamation.
- Parliament passed a bill that will empower the RBI to deal with stressed assets in the banking sectors which have soared to Rs 8 lakh crore.
- State-run Canara Bank unveiled two new digital services for online payments.
“Bharat QR (Quick Response) is for payment settlement at merchant locations and Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) is an integrated bill payment system for net banking customers.
- Markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) and Securities & Exchange Organization (SEO) of Iran have entered into a bilateral Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for mutual cooperation and technical assistance.
- With the $2.4 billion it just received from Japanese technology and telecom giant SoftBank, Flipkart has become the third most funded private company globally.
- State-owned Indian Oil Corp (IOC) has bought the country’s first shale oil from the US and is looking to step up imports from America as part of its crude diversification strategy.
- Hike Messenger said it has acquired Bengaluru-based tech start-up Creo for an undisclosed amount. The Creo team constitutes over 50 members and was founded in December 2013 by Sai Srinivas Kiran G and Shubham Malhotra.
- iBuild Innovations India, an organisation established to facilitate innovation and entrepreneurship through startup hubs spread across the country, is setting up an internet of things (IoT) incubation centre in Basar in collaboration with Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies (RGUKT).
- The successful launch of the country’s first indigenously developed robot ‘BRABO’ in April 2017, TAL Manufacturing, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Motors, has launched ‘Robo Whiz’, an education cell designed for universities and polytechnics.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley chaired a meeting to review the Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) policy in certain sectors. The meeting appears to be a follow-up of the meeting Prime Minister had called last month on FDI policy.
- More than 9.3 crore Permanent Account Numbers (PAN) have been linked with Aadhaar, a senior Income Tax Department officer said. Of the total PAN-Aadhaar seeding, which is nearly 30 per cent of the total about 30 crore PAN holders, about three crore linkages were done in June and July.
- Aparna, an IAS officer from Gujarat cadre has been appointed as Executive Director, World Bank to represent the constituency of India, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka for three years and will replace Subhash Garg, who was recently appointed Economic Affairs Secretary, Ministry of Finance.
- Indian American , Dilip Chauhan was named Deputy Comptroller for Minority Affairs by Nassau County Comptroller George Maragos.
- Health and wellness startup Cure.fit has signed on actor Hrithik Roshan as brand ambassador in what is touted as one of the largest endorsement deal signed by an Indian startup and the five-year association is valued at Rs 100 crore.
- The Centre has cleared the file for appointment of Justice Dipak Misra as the 45th Chief Justice of India with effect from August 28, 2017.
- London-born Actor Dev Patel will be felicitated with the Asia Society 2017 Asia Game Changers Award at a ceremony to be held at the United Nations, New York, in November.
- In World Athletics Championships, Olympic Champion Wayde Van Niekerk (South African) won the men’s 400 meters event and retained his title in London.
- Indian shooter Kynan Chenai won a bronze in men’s trap event, his first international medal at the senior level, at the 7th Asian Championship Shotgun at Astana, Kazakhstan.
- Ravindra Jadeja was already the top ranked Test bowler in the ICC Test rankings but now he is also World No 1 in all rounder’s Ranking.
- In Kenya, Uhuru Kenyatta has been re-elected as President.
- Sprint legend Milkha Singh has been appointed as the World Health Organisation’s goodwill ambassador for physical activity in South-East Asia Region (SEAR).
- Sravanth Malla correctly spelled the word “Chytridiales,” defined as an order of simple, aquatic fungi of the phylum Chytridiomycota, during the 2017 South Asian Spelling Bee finals to clinch the title of national champion and take home a cash prize of $3,000.
- World Renowned facial plastic surgeon Dr. Debraj Shome has been awarded with the prestigious ‘Indian of the Year’ award at the 8th Annual India Leadership Conclave & Indian Affairs Business Leadership Awards 2017, held in Mumbai.
- Panchpatmalli bauxite mine of National Aluminium Company (NALCO) has been awarded for its initiative in areas like environment, safety and health at the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) Eastern Region Safety Health & Environment Excellence Awards 2016-17.
- Hindustan Unilever (HUL) won the ‘Green Marketer’ award at the debut edition of Marquee Awards 2017.
- Ms. Reenat Sandhu, (lFS: 1989), presently Ambassador of India to ltaly, has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of San Marino, with residence in Rome.
- National Payments Corporation of India has appointed Dilip Asbe, its chief operating officer, to act as its chief executive officer in the wake of the retirement of A. P. Hota, its founding managing director.
- David Rasquinha, who is currently Deputy Managing Director of Exim Bank of India, has been appointed as Managing Director of the bank. This appointment will be valid for a period of three years.
- Retired IAS officer I V Subba Rao was appointed secretary to Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu. In which Naidu assumed charge as the 15th vice president of the country.
- Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister Ravi Karunanayake, who was recently linked to a questionable financial arrangement with a controversial businessman, resigned from the post.
- Lalit Modi resigned as President of the Nagaur District Association, marking an end to his presence in the Rajasthan Cricket body, which was banned by the BCCI
- Lt General HH Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al Nahyan, honoured Indian businessman and philanthropist Firoz Merchant with the Community Service Medal. He is an Indian businessman in the UAE.
- ASSOCHAM has conferred the “Best Skilling Award” on National Centre for Excellence of RSETIs (NACER).
- The Hindu Playwright Award 2017 went to Gerish Khemani and Akshat Nigam for their play ‘In Search of Dariya Sagar’.
- The Hugo Award for Best Novel 2017 was given to Nora K. Jemisin, an American speculative fiction writer for her work ‘The Obelisk Gate’. The award was presented at the 75th World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki.
- Nizamabad Government Polytechnic College bagged Haritha Mitra award for 2017, for planting saplings and maintaining them.
- Skill Development Institute, Visakhapatnam has been adjudged the ‘Best Institute-Innovation of Skill Development’.
- Veteran journalist T J S George has been chosen for the first Kesari Media Award, instituted by the Kesari Memorial Journalist Trust.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- 1. Indian Institute of Science researchers Bengaluru, Karnataka have developed a highly sensitive nanometre-scale carbon monoxide sensor.
- Stanford scientists have developed a low-cost and highly sensitive blood test that may quickly detect cancer growth and spread. The test called single colour digital PCR can detect genetic mutations in minute amounts of DNA released from cancer cells into the blood.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
|Jain saint Acharya Tarun Sagar Maharaj
|World’s Shortest woman Jyoti Amge
- The Kerala High Court set aside the lifetime ban imposed on cricketer S Sreesanth by Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) .
- Indian Shuttler HS Prannoy improved two places to reach the 15th spot in the latest BWF rankings.
- Shooter Maheshwari Chauhan bagged a bronze medal at the Asian Shotgun Championship to earn India’s first women’s skeet individual medal at a top international competition in Astana.
- Five-time world champion Viswanathan Anand defeated Ian Nepomniachtchi of Russia in the seventh round to jump to the joint top position in the Sinquefield Cup, a part of the Grand Chess tour, USA.
- The greatest sprinter of modern times, Usain Bolt said good bye to the Athletics world. But the farewell ended in agony as he injured himself while running the last lap of the men’s 4x100m relay race in the World Athletics Championships in London.
- The Indian duo of Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Rashmmi Rathore eked out a narrow 28-27 win over the Chinese pair of Liu Jiangchi and Gao Jianmei.
- Davinder Singh Kang failed to make the final-round appearance count in the men’s javelin throw event in the World Athletics Championships in London. He finished a disappointing 12th as India continued their miserable show in the Championships.
- Gabriel chundan (snake boat) won the 65th Nehru Trophy Boat Race at the Punnamada lake in Alappuzha.
HISTORIC EVENTS OF THE DAY
|INTERNATIONAL DAY OF THE WORLD’S INDIGENOUS PEOPLE
|10th Anniversary of the UN Decalration on the rights of Indidenous Peoples.
|WORLD BIO FUEL DAY
|INTERNATIONAL YOUTH DAY
|“Youth Building Peace”
|INDEPENDENCE DAY OF PAKISTAN
|Prof Sanwar Lal Jat
|BJP’s Member of Parliament from Ajmer and former Union minister
|Vishvjit P Singh
|Former Rajya Sabha Member who represented Maharashtra
|Television and Movie Star
|Israeli Holocaust survivor
|Former cricket Journalist
|German doctor and nun
|Poet, writer and journalist