Current Affairs One Liners – September 1-7 PDF Download
Current Affairs One Liners – September 1-7 PDF Download
- The annual conference – RajaswaGyanSangam will be inaugurated by Prime Minister NarendraModi in New Delhi which is organized by the Central Board of Direct Taxes and Central Board of Excise and Customs.
- Common Food Processing Incubation Centre for Shallots (Small Onions) was launched by Union Minister for Food Processing Industries ,SmtHarsimratKaurBadal in Chettikulam Village in Perambalur District of Tamil Nadu.
- The KOCHI Host City Logo, the venue for the FIFA U-17 World Cup, India 2017 was launched by Kerala CM PinarayiVijayan and the logo reflects Kochi’s identity and it will be valuable tool in linking the local community in a global world cup. The Jawaharlal Nehru football stadium in Kochi is a host for the FIFA U-17 World Cup and will host eight matches.
- Government of India has decided to disinvest its 100% equity in Central Electronics Limited which is under the administrative control of Ministry of Science and Technology through strategic sale with transfer of management control.
- Uttar Pradesh government has changed the criterion for the recruitment for the posts of Group B, Group C and Group D categories and the only criteria now is written examination.
- No frills airliner Trujet of Turbo Megha Airways has announced the launch of Hyderabad-Mysore flight under the regional connectivity scheme.Turbo Megha is one of the five air operators which won bids to operate on 128 routes connecting 70 airports, of which 31 are unserved under the regional connectivity scheme – UdeDeshKaAamNagrik (UDAN).
- The Union ministry for road transport, highways and shipping has finally given a green signal for the construction of 13 new Railway Over Bridges (ROB) in Pune district.
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, ThaawarchandGehlot has launched a scheme that provides for physical aids and assisted-living devices for senior citizens belonging to the BPL category in Gujarat. He said this ambitious scheme, is expected to benefit 5,20,000 senior citizens over a period of three years. Under the scheme, devices were distributed to senior citizens free of cost.
- ihar government has directed the authorities to get all the placement agencies registered in order to prevent fraud. Chief Secretary Anjani Kumar Singh this after a review meeting of various departments chaired by Chief Minister Nitish Kumar in Patna and would also allocate 5 crore.
- President RamnathKovind will lay foundation stone for link – 4 of Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation Scheme -SAUNI- Yojana in Rajkot district.
- ‘Ye India ka time hai’ event was organized at National Institute of Technology,Raipur.The event was held as per the directives of HRD ministry to mark India’s 70 years of independence and 75 years of the Quit India movement.
- To aid safe last-mile connectivity in Gurgaon, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) in collaboration with Smart-E company will launch 1,000 e-rickshaws at five metro stations across the city.The Smart-E started operations in New Delhi from the Madipur metro station at PaschimVihar in October 2016
- Five banks of the BRICS Bank Cooperation Mechanism have agreed to establish credit lines in the national currencies and cooperate on credit ratings.The agreement was signed ahead of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) summit in China’s Xiamen city in which leaders of the five countries, including Prime Minister NarendraModi are scheduled to take part.
- Nepal has signed a USD 635 million UN assistance package for 2018-2022 to lay out the country’s development strategy for the next five years.
- Poor performance in internationalisation of their campuses and a low research score have pulled down Indian higher education institutes such as the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and some of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) in the Times Higher Education (THE)World University Rankings 2018.
- NITI Aayog has launched the National Nutrition Strategy aimed at KuposhanMukt Bharat whichlinked toSwachh Bharat and Swasth Bharat. It intends at bringing nutrition to the centre-stage of the National Development Agenda. It aims to attain optimal nutritional status by 2022.
- Uttar Pradesh is reportedly heading for a new record of sugar production for the 2017-18 crushing season, which begins next month.
- More number of central government schemes under Direct Benefit Transfer(DBT), the NarendraModi administration has instructed the states to ensure that they pass their own DBT laws and create their own portals to bring in their schemes under the DBT umbrella.The deadline for bringing those 500 schemes under DBT is December 2017.
- NITI Aayoghas constituted an Expert Task Force to provide a major thrust to job creation by enhancing India’s exports. It will be headed by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Dr Rajiv Kumar.
- Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu would lay the foundation stone for the second phase of Chintalapudi lift irrigation works at Muddulaparva village in Krishna district, as part of JalasirikiHaratiprogramme.
- The National Highway Authority of India has awarded its first international project in Myanmar to a joint venture of Punj Lloyd-Varaha. This is for the upgradations of the Yagyi–Kalewa section in Myanmar to two lanes with earthen shoulder in the engineering, procurement, and construction mode.
- Deepening cooperation in defence and security, India and Japan have agreed to enhance exchanges between their forces which is likely to translate into more bilateral exercises, as well as more exchanges in the field of technology and equipment as India looks towards increasing its domestic defence production.
- India and Myanmar signed 11 agreements in a range of sectors, including one on maritime security cooperation, to further strengthen their multifaceted partnership.
- India and Switzerland have emphasized their willingness to further enhance cooperation in the fight against tax fraud and tax evasion and also both Prime Minister NarendraModi and Swiss President Doris Leuthard noted with satisfaction of the signing of the Joint Declaration in November 2016. Swiss President is on a visit to India.
- Lebanon’s first animal welfare bill into law which guarantees that domestic and wild animals will be legally protected from abuse was signed by Lebanese President Michel Aoun.
- A victory was declared over the Islamic States militants in Tal Afar by Iraqi Prime Minister Hayder al-Abadi.
- The Civil Aviation Administration of China announced the opening of the country’s first test-flight base for civilian drones in Shanghai.
- Swedish defence giant Saab and Indian conglomerate Adani group have announced collaboration in defence manufacturing entailing billions of dollars of investment, mainly eyeing a contract for single-engine fighter jets for the Indian Air Force.
- In the German city of Duisburg, the world’s highest sandcastle was built and it is 16.68 metres tall.
- NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson, who holds the record for maximum time spent in space by any US astronaut, is set to return to Earth, completing a 288-day mission at the International Space Station.
- The world’s most powerful X-ray laser has begun operating at a facility where scientists will attempt to recreate the conditions deep inside the sun and produce film-like sequences of viruses and cells.
- India will collaborate with Switzerland for developing trains which will tilt on approaching a bend, just like a motorbike on a winding road. A memorandum of understanding was signed between the two countries in this regard.
- The International Solar Alliance (ISA) took another step closer to becoming a recognisedinter-governmental body under the United Nations charter, after Seychelles became the ninth member to ratify the ISA Framework Agreement.With this, the ISA will need the ratification of just six more countries to become a recognised inter-governmental body. Till now India, France, Nauru, Niger, Fiji, Mauritius, Tuvalu and Bangladesh have ratified the ISA Framework Agreement.
- Indo-Canadian investment guru PremWatsa, considered the Canadian equivalent of legendary American investor Warren Buffett, is launching a new initiative this week to bring a sense of urgency to economic ties between India and Canada.Fincare Small Finance Bank (previously known as DishaMicrofin Limited) on Friday kick-started its banking operations with about 25 operational branches across Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh
- Prime Minister NarendraModi met Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and held talks on ways to strengthen bilateral ties.Earlier, during his address at the BRICS Emerging Markets and Developing Countries Dialogue, which was attended by Egypt, Mexico, Guinea, Thailand and Tajikistan on China’s invitation as part of “BRICS Plus” outreach exercise, Mr. Modi described these countries as “close and valued” partners of India.
- China will give 500 million Yuan ($76.4 million) for a BRICS economic and technology cooperation plan, and another $4 million for projects at the BRICS countries’ New Development Bank, Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Myanmar became a member of BIMSTEC in December 1997. Myanmar is a signatory to the BIMSTEC Free Trade Agreement. Myanmar is the lead country for the energy sector. Myanmar trades mostly with Thailand and India in the BIMSTEC region.
- Working with UNESCO to restore monuments in Myanmar IIT-Madras is also officially collaborating with UNESCO and providing structural inputs as part of a pilot project in Bagan in Myanmar.
BANKING & BUSINESS
- The 5.7% GDP growth rate in the first quarter of this fical year was announced by Finance Minister ArunJaitley and also added that the rate has come down due to pre-GST effect.
- The growth of eight core sectors slowed to 4 per cent in July due to contraction in output of crude oil, refinery products, fertiliser and cement. These eight infrastructure sectors — coal, crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertilisers, steel, cement and electricity.
- Amazon announced a partnership with the AkshayaPatra Foundation to implement the Karnataka government’s ‘KsheeraBhagya’ Scheme in the city, wherein schoolchildren would be provided a glass of milk each five days a week.
- The services of Ujjivan Financial services shot up 10 percent after they announced that its own subsidiary Ujjivan Financial Small Bank has been granted “Scheduled Bank” status on August 25.
- Unicity International, headquartered in Orem, Utah, United States has launched world’s first ever Genomeceutical (gene controlling) range of products to India.
- India is expected to surpass China in innovation competitivenessbetween 2025-2030,BRICS Innovative Competitive Report 2017 released by China Science and Technology Exchange Center and also predicts that India would take over Russia in terms of Comprehensive STI competitiveness by 2030. China tops the BRICS nation innovative competitive report.
- Orion Broking and Orion Capital along with their partners are barred from the securities market for 10 years for failing to redress the several investor grievances pertaining to the non-settlement funds by Market Regulator SEBI.
- Jammu and Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh were the fastest expanding State economies in 2015-16, according to a new series of gross State domestic product data with 2011-12 as the base year published by the Central Statistics Office. The two States also reported the fastest rise in per capita income in the same year.
- Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance Company (CHOICE) has come up with a ‘Point-of-Sale’ product targeted at the mass-market segment.
- The Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT), an arm of the Reserve Bank of India, is developing a model platform for Blockchain technology.
- Public lender Canara Bank has reduced interest rate on savings bank accounts by 50 basis points to 5 per cent on deposits of up to Rs 50 lakh.However, the bank will continue to pay 4 per cent interest on deposits of above Rs 50 lakh.
- India’s largest autonomous public research and development organisationCouncil of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has been ranked ninth in the world.In overall global ranking, CSIR stands at 75th position amongst 5250 institutions world-wide. It is the only Indian organisation which has found place amongst the Top 100 Global Institutions.
- Larsen & Toubro, the country’s largest engineering firm, has received green nod for expansion of its Powai residential and IT tower projects in Mumbai that will entail an investment of 1,102 crore.
- Fincare Small Finance Bank (previously known as DishaMicrofin Limited) on Friday kick-started its banking operations with about 25 operational branches across Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
- Businesses will have more time to file the final GST returns as the government has extended the last date for filing of sales and purchase data as well as payment of taxes for the months of July and August.
- DBS Bank has received in-principle approval from the RBI to operate a wholly-owned-subsidiary (WOS) in India. DBS Bank currently operates 12 branches in India and these will be converted to the new model, Piyush Gupta, CEO, DBS Group, said. The new model would also help in scaling up supply-chain finance, transaction banking and cash management operations.
- RBI has included HDFC in the list of ‘too big to fail’ lenders, referred to as D-SIB or domestic systemically important bank.India’s largest lender SBI and private sector major ICICI Bankwere classified as D-SIBs in 2015.
- The finance ministry has advised all banks to take immediate steps to restrict transactions in bank accounts of more than 09 lakh companies, whose names have been struck off the Register of Companies.he names of 2,09,032 companies have been struck off from the register of companies under Section 248 (5) of the Act.
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company has got SEBI’s go-ahead for its estimated 6,000 crore IPO, which could be the first by a general insurer in the country.
- The Reserve Bank has restricted foreign investors from buying more shares in non-banking finance company Bharat Financial Inclusion after the allowed investment limit reached the ceiling.
- The ministry of electronics and IT (MeitY) is working on a multi-pronged strategy under which it plans to make the Bharat Interface for Money app, or BHIM, the single point for all mobile payments. This plan includes handsets coming pre-loaded with the application as well as having a single quick response (QR) code that will be integrated with the app and is accepted by all merchants, in a bid to enable a seamless nationwide network.
- IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, has invested$10 million as equity in Power2SME, an e-commerce platform that helps small and medium companies buy raw materials at bulk prices and get working capital without collateral.
- Reliance General Insurance said it has received in-principle approval from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) for its initial public offering (IPO).The insurance firm, which is a 100 per cent subsidiary of Reliance Capital, is expected to list during the ongoing fiscal. Reliance Capital plans to dilute about 25 per cent of its holding in the insurer.
- Economic activity in the country lost some pace amid GST related disruptions but underlying growth momentum remains strong and the country may clock 7% growth this fiscal, says a Morgan Stanley report.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- An international team of astronomers used the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope to estimate whether there might be water on the seven earth-sized planets orbiting the nearby dwarf star TRAPPIST-1.
|S.No||Name||Post||Post Previously held by|
|1||Rajiv Mehrishi||Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India||Shashi Kant Sharma|
|2||Ashwini Attri||Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General||–|
|3||Anita Pattanayak||Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General||–|
|4||Ranjan Kumar Ghose||Deputy Comptroller and Auditor General||–|
|5||Sunil Arora||Election Commissioner of India||–|
|6||Rajiv Kumar||Secretary in the Department of Financial Services||–|
|7||Anita Karwal||Chairperson of Central Board of Secondary Education, CBSE||Rajesh Kumar Chaturvedi|
|8||Kuldip Kaura||Interim CEO of Metal and mining major Vedanta Ltd||Tom Albanese|
|9||Lt Gen Manoj Pande||Chief of Staff at Headquarters of Southern Command in Pune||Lt Gen RJ Noronha|
|10||P.V. Sindhu||Bridgestone India’s First Brand Ambassador|
|11||Shri Piyush Goyal||Union Railway Minister|
|12||Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman||Union Defence Minister|
|13||Shri Nitin Jairam Gadkari||Union Minister of Road Transport and Highways; Shipping; and Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.|
|14||Shri Suresh Prabhu||Union Minister of Commerce and Industry.|
|15||Shri D.V. Sadananda Gowda||Union Minister of Statistics and Programme Implementation.|
|16||Smt. Uma Bharati||Union Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation.|
|17||Shri Dharmendra Pradhan||Union Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation.|
|18||Shri Alphons Kannanthanam||Union Minister of tourism; and Electronics and Information Technology.|
|19||J Y Pillay||Singapore’s acting president||Tony Tan Keng Yam|
|20||U B Pravin Rao||MD and CEO of Infosys||Vishal Sikka|
|21||Kenneth I Juster||Next US ambassador to India||Richard Verma|
|22||Vasant Narasimhan||CEO of Europe’s largest drug maker “Novartis”||Jimenez|
|23||KV Rama Moorthy||Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer ofTamilnadu Mercantile Bank||HS UpendraKamath|
|24||P R Seshadri||Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of KarurVysya Bank||K Venkataraman|
|25||Shri RaoInderjit Singh||Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertilizers|
|26||R A Sankara Narayanan||Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Vijaya Bank||Kishore Sansi|
|27||Shri Haribhai Parthibhai Chaudhary||MoS Ministry of Coal|
|28||N Baijendra Kumar||CMD of the state-run National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC)|
|1||Rajiv Pratap||Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship|
|2||Lin Chuan||Taiwan’s Premier|
|S.No||Award Name||Awarded to|
|1||Dhyan Chand Award 2017||Former India Women’s Hockey captain SumraiTete|
|2||FICCI Special Jury Award||DrK R Balakrishnan, Director, Cardiac Sciences, Fortis Centre for Heart Failure & Transplant, Fortis Malar Hospital in Chennai|
|3||Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Award||Reliance Foundation|
|4||Rashtriya Khel Protsahana Purushkar||KendriyaVidyalaya Sangathan (KVS)|
|5||Konkani writer Mahabaleshwar Sail
|6||‘Best bank’ award among small banks for the use of technology for financial inclusion at the 13th IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2016-17||Karnataka Bank|
|7||National Award for ‘Excellence’ in Energy Management by CII||Hyderabad International Airport Ltd|
|8||UNESCO Confucius Prize for Literacy sponsored by China||AdulTICoProgram from Columbia|
|9||UNESCO Confucius Prize for Literacy sponsored by China||FunDza project from South Africa|
|10||King Sejong Literacy Prize sponsored by South Korea||Centre for the Study of Learning and Performance from Canada and the We Love Reading programme from Jordan|
- Wildcard entrant GauravBidhuri’s remarkable run at the World Boxing Championships ended with a bronze medal after he lost his semifinal clash to American Duke Ragan in Hamburg.
- India has whitewashed host Sri Lanka 5-nil in One Day International cricket series.In the fifth and final match at Colombo the men in blue beat the host by six-wickets. By winning all games, India became the first visiting country to inflict a 5-0 defeat on Sri Lanka.
- Former India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni became the first wicketkeeper in world cricket to effect 100 stumpings in One Day Internationals. Dhoni achieved the feat in his 301st ODI in Colombo.
- In Badminton, Rahul Bharadwajlost to top seed KunlavutVitidsarnin the men’s singles final to finish as runners-up at the Junior International Grand Prix in Pune.
- Star India bagged the IPL media rights for TV and digital broadcast worth 16,347.50crore with a single consolidated bid worldwide. It pipped Sony to acquire the rights from 2018 to 2022.
- India’s KonsamOrmila Devi bagged a gold medal in 44kg weight category on the opening day of the Commonwealth Youth (boys & girls) weightlifting championships, held at Gold Coast, Australia.
- The captain of the Indian basketball team, Amritpal Singh scripted history by becoming the first Indian-born player to be picked up by an Australian NBL team.
- India will host the 2019 edition of the Commonwealth (Youth, Junior and Senior) Weightlifting Championships.
HISTORIC EVENTS OF THE DAY
|September 2||World Coconut Day||Coconut for Family Nutrition, Health and Wellness|
|1st to 7th September||National Nutrition Week||Optimal Infant & Young Child Feeding Practices: Better Child Health|
|World labour Day
|September 5||Teachers Day|
- Walter Becker – The guitarist, bassist and co-founder of the 1970s rock group Steely Dan
- John Ashbery – Rare winner of the book world’s unofficial triple crown- the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award and the National Book Critics Circle prize.
- GauriLankesh – Journalist-activist