Daily Current Affairs: April 6 & 7, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (April 6 & 7, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Health Day – 7 April
- Every year, April 7 is celebrated as World Health Day to spread awareness about quality living and the importance of health.
- 2021 Theme: “Building a Fairer and Healthier World for Everyone”
International Day of Sport for Development and Peace – 6 April
- The International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP) is an annual celebration of the power of sport to drive social change, community development and to foster peace and understanding.
- On 6 April 2021, the IDSDP is a moment when the international Olympic committee (IOC) and the whole Olympic Movement underline the paramount role that sport plays in supporting global recovery efforts from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan launched the Integrated Health Information Platform
- Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan virtually launched the Integrated Health Information Platform. The Integrated Health Information Platform is the next generation highly refined version of the presently used Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme. India is the first country in the world to adopt such an advanced disease surveillance system.
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India launched Sankalp se Siddhi
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs launched “Sankalp se Siddhi” – Village and Digital Connect Drive. It is a 100-day drive that will entail 150 teams visiting ten villages each of which 10 in each region from TRIFED and State Implementation agencies visiting ten villages each.
- TRIFED was established in August 1987 under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984 by the Government of India as a National level Cooperative body.
Spices Board India signed an MoU with UNDP India’s Accelerator Lab
- Spices Board India under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry and UNDP India’s Accelerator Lab today signed an MoU with the aim to build a blockchain-based traceability interface for Indian spices to enhance transparency in the supply chain and trade.
- Blockchain is a decentralized process of recording transactions on an open and shared electronic ledger. This allows for ease and transparency in data management across a complex network, including, farmers, brokers, distributors, processors, retailers, regulators, and consumers, thus simplifying the supply chain.
India hosted the First Meeting of BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors
- India hosted a Meeting of BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors virtually and the meeting was jointly chaired by Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs, Nirmala Sitharaman and Governor, Reserve Bank of India, Shaktikanta Das. Participants included Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors of the BRICS countries.
- As 2021 BRICS Chair, India’s approach was focused on strengthening intra-BRICS cooperation based on Continuity, Consolidation, and Consensus.
- This was the first meeting of the BRICS Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors under the India Chairship in 2021.
Pham Minh Chinh elected as Vietnam’s new Prime Minister
- Pham Minh Chinh had been a member of the Party Central Committee since 2011, a Politburo member since 2016, and is currently a National Assembly deputy. He won 25 per cent of the vote at an official National Assembly vote.
- Prime Minister Chinh pledged to boost the fight against corruption and waste, develop a digital economy, safeguard national independence, sovereignty, and territorial integrity, and ensure national defense, security, and law and order.
- Capital: Hanoi
Banking and Economy
Axis Bank became co-promoter of Max Life Insurance
- Axis Bank along with its subsidiaries Axis Capital and Axis Securities had become the co-promoter of Max Life Insurance after completion of the acquisition of a 12.99 per cent stake by them.
- Max Life’s holding company Max Financial Services and Axis Bank had first announced their intent to bring in the latter as a strategic partner in Max Life in February 2020.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- CEO: Amitabh Chaudhry
International Monetary Fund raised India’s FY22 growth forecast to 12.5%
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) had upgraded its growth projection for India to 12.5 per cent for Financial Year 2021-22. In its latest World Economic Outlook report, the IMF had pegged India’s GDP to grow 1 per cent higher than its previous report published in January this year.
International Monetary Fund
- Founded: 1944
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C
AU Small Finance Bank launched Platinum Family Banking Program
- AU Small Finance Bank had launched a Platinum Family Banking Program which offers facilities of family banking as well as offerings such as preferential pricing, priority processing, onboarding offers, and a complimentary lifetime free debit card.
- This single point of contact will take care of the entire family’s banking needs, including deposits, investments, loans, insurance, and payments. Family banking offers them the ease of maintaining requisite balance across family member accounts.
AU Small Finance Bank
- Headquarters: Jaipur
RBI announced Rs.50,000 crore refinance to all-India financial institutions
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will provide refinance aggregating 50,000 crore to All India Financial Institutions (AIFIs). The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development will get Rs.25,000 crore, National Housing Bank Rs.10,000 crore, and Small Industries Development Bank of India Rs.15,000 crore.
Reserve Bank of India enhanced the aggregate limit of ways and means advance for States and UTs
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to enhance the aggregate limit of ways and means advance (WMA) limit for all States and Union Territories to 47,010 crore, which is an increase of 46 per cent from the current limit of Rs. 32,225 crore.
- The central bank also decided to continue with the enhanced interim WMA limit of ₹51,560 crore granted by RBI due to the pandemic for a further period of six months (September 30, 2021). Under WMA, States and UTs get short-term credit up to three months from the RBI to bridge temporary mismatches in cash flows.
Reserve Bank of India retained GDP growth at 10.5% for 2021-22
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) during its Monetary Policy Committee announcements retained the GDP growth forecast at 5 percent for the current fiscal. MPC saw inflation edging up to 5.2 per cent in the first half of the new fiscal from 5 per cent in the January-March period and moderate to 4.4 per cent in Q3 of FY22.
Reserve Bank of India doubled the deposit limit of payments banks to Rs.2 lakh
- To promote digital payments banks in the country, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced an increase in the maximum end-of-day balance for payment banks to 2 lakh. The earlier limit, which was in place since 2014, was set at Rs.1 lakh per individual customer for the end of the balance for payment banks.
Justice NV Ramana appointed as next Chief Justice of India
- President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Justice N V Ramana as the next Chief Justice of India. Senior-most Supreme Court Judge Justice NV Ramana was appointed as the 48th Chief Justice of India.
- The President of India in the exercise of the powers conferred by clause (2) of Article 124 of the Constitution of India appointed Justice Ramana to be the Chief Justice of India.
Tarun Bajaj appointed as revenue secretary and Ajay Seth as new Economic Affairs Secretary
- The government-appointed 1987-batch Karnataka cadre Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer Ajay Seth as economic affairs secretary in the finance ministry.
- Tarun Bajaj appointed as revenue secretary in the finance ministry. Bajaj was holding an additional charge of the revenue department for one month following the superannuation of Ajay Bhushan Pandey.
Veteran journalist Fatema Zakaria passed away at 85
- Veteran journalist Fatima R Zakaria, the former Editor of the Sunday Times, Mumbai, and mother of renowned global media personality Fareed R. Zakaria passed away due to Covid.
- She was conferred with Padamshree for her excellent contribution to education and educational reforms.
Veteran actress Shashikala passed away at 88
- Shashikala was honoured with the prestigious Padma Shri by the Indian government for her unparalleled contribution to the world of cinema and arts in 2007.
- She was also conferred with the coveted Lifetime Achievement Award at the V. Shantaram Awards in 2009. Apart from this, Shashikala bagged two Filmfare awards for her work in Aarti and Gumrah.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of April 6 & 7, 2021, now from the link given below.