DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 18 & 19, 2019
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS: FEBRUARY 18 & 19, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (February 19, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Rajnath Singh launches pan-India number 112 for women safety :
- Nagaland became the first state in the Northeast and second in the country after Himachal Pradesh to launch a pan-India single-number emergency mobile application which will have a special women safety feature for immediate assistance from police and volunteers.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi launched a range of citizen safety initiatives in New Delhi.Persons in distress can dial a pan-India number: 112.
Vayu Shakti: IAF carries out mega exercise at Pokhran
- Indian Air Force conducted mega exercise ‘Vayu Shakti’ in Pokhran, Rajasthan. The exercise was conducted two days after 40 CRPF personnel killed in a suicide attack in Kashmir’s Pulwama.
- The exercise was carried out day and night where the IAF showcased fire power capability of indigenously developed platforms and efficacy of missiles.
- For the first time, the Advanced Light Helicopter (ALP) and the Akash surface-to-air missile were deployed in military exercise. MiG-29 fighter jet also participated in the exercise.
4th Agri leadership Summit 2019 inaugurated In Haryana:
- Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmer’s Welfare,Radha Mohan Singh, inaugurated the 4th Agri Leadership Summit 2019 at the India International Horticulture Market (IIHM) in Ganaur, Sonipat district, Haryana.
- The theme of the summit was “Entrepreneurship & Agri Business; Agri Allied – A Promising Sector and Agri Service- Direct Marketing”.
- The main objective of the summit was to provide a platform to the progressive farmers,Farmer Producer Organisation (FPO), Agri-input and Agri-produce processing industries of the country to interact with policy-makers, scientists and technologists in order to increase the income and quality of life of the farmers and to attract investments in agriculture related industries of the State.
STATIC : Haryana
Capital – Chandigarh
Chief Minister – Manohar Lal
Governor – Satyadeo Narain Arya
International Annual Desert Festival begins in Jaisalmer :
- 40th International Annual Desert Festival kicked off in Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. It will exhibit rich cultural heritage of the state and attract thousands of tourists from all over the world to the Golden City.
- The festival was held amidst the beautiful Sam dunes of the Thar Desert. It commences with a procession from the Jaisalmer Fort to the Shahid Poonam Singh Stadium.
Iran’s First Semi-Heavy Missile-Equipped Submarine Fateh Unveiled :
- Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani unveiled the first Iranian made semi-heavy submarine named ‘Fateh’ (‘Conqueror’ in Persian), capable of being fitted with missiles, as per the reporting on Iran’s state TV.
- The Fateh has subsurface-to-surface missiles with a range of about 2,000 km (1,250 miles) and is capable of reaching Israel and U.S. military bases in the region.
AWARDS & HONOURS
Jharkhand-based NGO Yuwa Wins Laureus Sport for Good Honour :
- Yuwa, a Jharkhand-based NGO which works for girl empowerment,won the Laureus Sport for Good award, becoming the third Indian entry to bag the honour.
- Yuwa prepares girls to break the cycle of poverty permanently. The program has used team sports and education to build character, confidence and courage among girls.
Shiv Chhatrapati Awards: Uday Deshpande, Smriti Mandhana get Maharashtra sports honours
- Mallakhamb coach,Uday Deshpande and batswoman,Smriti Mandhana,were awarded the Maharashtra State Government’s Shiv Chhatrapati Award by the State’s Governor C. Vidyasagar Rao at an event held at the Gateway of India, Mumbai.
- Uday Deshpande was awarded with the Shiv Chhatrapati life-time achievement award for dedicating his life to the traditional sport, Mallakhamb.
- Shiv Chhatrapati award for players among several others was presented to Smriti Mandhana, opening batswoman of the Indian Women’s Cricket team.
President of India presents Tagore Awards for Cultural Harmony :
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Rabindranath Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for the year 2014, 2015 and 2016 at the Pravasi Bhartiya Kendra, New Delhi.
- Ram Nath Kovind, presented the Tagore Award for Cultural Harmony for the years 2014, 2015 and 2016 to Shri Rajkumar Singhajit Singh, Chhayanaut (a cultural organisation of Bangladesh) and Shri Ram Vanji Sutar respectively.
First woman to climb Kerala’s Agasthyarkoodam peak :Dhanya Sanal K
- Bureaucrat Dhanya Sanal K. became the first woman to climb Agasthyarkoodam peak in Kerala. There was an unofficial ban for women to trek the peak which was swept aside by Kerala High Court.
- Agasthyarkoodam peak is a 1868 metre high mountain peak within Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary in Kerala. It lies on Kerala and Tamil Nadu border.
Puma Signs India’s Mary Kom as Women’s Training Ambassador :
- German sports and lifestyle brand PUMA has appointed the 6 time world champion woman M C Mary Kom as its new brand ambassador.
- Mary Kom is now PUMA India’s new ambassador for their women’s training category and will be representing the brand in marketing campaigns.
- Mary Kom will steer brand’s advertising campaign #DoYou that aims to motivate women across the nation to be strong and accomplish their goals.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Faizel Ismail appointed director of South Africa’s Nelson Mandela School of Public Governance :
- Indian-origin global negotiator, Professor Faizel Ismail, was appointed as the director of South Africa’s Nelson Mandela School of Public Governance.
- He is a professor at the University of Cape Town (UCT)’s School of Economics and has served as an Ambassador to the World Trade Organisation and a Senior Advisor to the Minister of Trade and Industry in the past.
Chris Gayle to retire from ODIs after ICC World Cup 2019 :
- West Indies batsman Chris Gayle has announced his retirement from One Day Internationals (ODIs) after the forthcoming World Cup in England and Wales.
- He has scored 9727 ODI runs which is only 677 runs less than the highest scorer Brian Lara.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
The First Walking Robot To Navigate Without GPS, Developed : AntBot
- AntBot is the first walking robot to have navigational capabilities without GPS or mapping. It has been designed by Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) and Aix-Marseille University researchers at ISM, on lines similar to desert ants who use polarised lights and UV radiation to navigate in space.
- Weighing only 2.3 kg, the robot consists of an optical compass which determines its movements by the help of polarised light.
Elise Mertens beats Simona Halep to win Qatar Open :
- Elise Merten, world number 21 from Belgium beat world number 3,Simona Halep to win the Qatar Open held in Doha, Qatar.
- She won 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, braving an eight-minute medical timeout for back pain in the second set which made her lose 18 points in a row at one stage.
- This was her third victory over a top ten player in Doha in the current week and second over Grand Slam Championship.
Samuel Tefera sets indoor world record in 1,500 meters :
- A 22-year old men’s indoor world record in 1,500 metres was broken by Samuel Tefera, an Ethiopian teenager. He broke the record at the Birmingham Indoor Grand Prix by finishing the race in 3 minutes, 31.04 seconds.
- He achieved this by defeating Yomif Kejelcha in final bend by 0.54 seconds and 200m.
Capital- Addis Ababa
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.