Daily Current Affairs : February 9 & 10, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (Febraury 9&10, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
National Deworming Day
- The National Deworming Day (NDD) is being observed across the country on 10 February.
- Children & adolescents in the age group of 1-19 years will be administered single dose of a safe medicine Albendazole in all states and Union Territories on the occasion.
World Pulses Day- February 10
- World Pulses Day is a designated United Nations global event to recognize the importance of pulses (chickpeas, dry beans, lentils, dry peas and lupins among others) as a global food.
India and African nations sign ‘Lucknow Declaration’ for enhanced collaboration
- India & 50 African countries adopted the ‘Lucknow Declaration’, at the 1st India-Africa Defence Minister’s Conclave held on the side-lines of the ongoing Def Expo.
- Rajnath Singh & his counterparts from 12 African countries were present at the conclave.
Ayushman Bharat-PMJAY wins national ‘Gold’ award for sustainable e-Governance initiative
- AB-PMJAY has been awarded gold under Category-1 for “Excellence in Government Process Re-engineering for Digital Transformation” for e-governance 2019-20 at 23rd National Conference on e-Governance.
- CEO of AB-PMJAY (Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana) & National Health Authority: Indu Bhushan.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY).
National Conference on e-Governance 2020 concluded
- National Conference on e-Governance 2020 concluded in Mumbai with deliberations on transforming governance using digital technologies.
- Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh said that e-Governance is the key to the future of India’s developmental journey.
- Capital: Mumbai
- Chief Minister: Uddhav Thackeray
- Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Uttar Pradesh govt to launch internship scheme for school college students
- UP govt will introduce an internship scheme for students of class 10 & 12 as well as those pursing graduation to brighten their employment prospects. Each youth who will do internship for 6 months & 1 year will be given Rs 2,500 as honorarium every month.
- Central share-Rs 1500, State share- Rs 1000.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
Tamil Nadu govt decides to declare Cauvery Delta Region as protected special agricultural zone
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswamy has said, the Cauvery Delta Region in the state will be declared a protected special agricultural zone.
- He laid the foundation stone for what is touted as Asia’s largest livestock farm at Thalaivasal village near Salem.
- Capital: Chennai
- Chief Minister: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
- Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
I-T dept launches e-calculator to compare due tax under new, old regime
- I-T Department launched an e-calculator for individuals to estimate their tax liability if they opt for the new tax slabs, without claiming deductions & exemptions, for ITR filing as stated in the Budget. 5% tax is levied on an annual income of 2.5-5 lakh.
- Tax rises to 10%, 15%, 20% & 25% for every Rs 2.5 lakh addition.
BBIN nations deliberate on MoU for implementation of motor vehicle agreement
- BBIN nations Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal are deliberate on a proposed MoU for implementation of the motor vehicle agreement for regulation of passenger, personal and cargo vehicular traffic among the countries.
Maharashtra ranks first among 18 states in justice delivery system capacity
- India Justice Report-2019 prepared by Tata Trusts, among 18 large and mid-level states surveyed, Maharashtra topped the list, followed by Kerala, Tamil Nadu.
- Among states with a population of less than 1 Crore Goa ranked first followed by Sikkim.
Kaamya Karthikeyan: Mumbai Girl becomes the youngest to climb Mt Aconcagua
- Kaamya Karthikeyan became the youngest girl to climb the highest peak in South America, Mt Aconcagua. Kaamya Karthikeyan is a Class VII student studying in Navy Children School.
- She has also summited Mt Mentok Kangri II in August 2019.
First Disha Police Station inaugurated in Andhra Pradesh to work on violence against women
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Jagan Mohan Reddy inaugurated the first Disha Police Station. The police stations are first of their kind in the state and will deal with crimes against women.
- Andhra Pradesh Government is to inaugurate 18 Disha Police Stations by the end of February 2020. Every police station is to add 26 to 47 police officers.
- Capital: Amaravati
- Chief Minister: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
- Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
Hornbill festival begins with aim to raise awareness for bird conservation
- The 1st-ever hornbill festival in Tripura has begun with an aim to raise awareness among people for bird conservation.
- Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb inaugurated the 2-day festival at Barmura Eco park. The Hornbill family includes about 55 living species.
- Capital: Agartala
- Chief Minister: Biplab Kumar Deb
- Governor: Ramesh Bais
UK pitches for joint development of future fighter jet engine
- India’s plans to develop a future fighter jet engine has got strong backing from the UK saying that, UK is ready to collaborate on the project & is looking at a govt to govt model to take it forward.
BEL signs tripartite MoU with Elbit & GRSE for Unmanned Surface Vessels
- BEL(Bharat Electronics Limited) has signed a tripartite MoU with Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd (GRSE) & Elbit Systems, Israel at Def Expo 2020. It is meant for the development & customisation of Elbit’s Unmanned Surface Vessels (USV) for the requirements of the Indian Navy.
- M V Gowtama, Chairman and MD, Bharat Electronics Limited.
Army Major Anoop Mishra develops bulletproof helmet that can stop AK-47 bullets
- Indian Army Major Anoop Mishra has developed first of its kind bulletproof helmet that can stop AK-47 bullets round from a distance of 10 meters.
- He had earlier developed a bulletproof jacket that could give protection from sniper bullets.
- The “ballistic helmet” has been developed under project Abhedya.
World’s Cheapest Gun Shot Locator developed by Indian Army
- The Indian Army’s College of Military Engineering with a private firm developed the gun shot locators called “Parth”. The device was showcased at Def Expo 2020.
- The cost of the device developed is around 3 lakhs would replace a similar imported item which costs around 65 lakhs.
- It can locate the location of a bullet from a distance of 400 meters.
Joaquin Phoenix wins best actor trophy, Renee Zellweger best actress in Oscars 2020
- Joaquin Phoenix & Renee Zellweger won the best actor & actress trophies respectively at the 92nd Academy Awards ceremony at Dolby Theatre in Los Angles. Director Bong Joon Ho bagged the best director Oscar for his sensational class satire ‘Parasite’.
- Parasite– 1st foreign-language movie to win Best film award.
Africa Union Summit held at Addis Ababa
- The African Union Summit was held in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to tackle terrorism in the continent.
- India has recently signed the defence agreement, Lucknow Declaration with 50 African countries at Def Expo 2020.
- Theme: “Silencing the Guns: Creating Conducive Conditions”.
Bangladesh: 5th Dhaka Art Summit inaugurated
- State Minister for Cultural Affairs of Bangladesh K M Khalid inaugurated the fifth edition of the biennial art extravaganza of Bangladesh-Dhaka Art Summit.
- Dhaka Art Summit is the premier art festival of Bangladesh.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- President: Abdul Hamid
Banking and Finance
RBI not to print more notes to fill fiscal deficit
- According to RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das has no plans to monetise the rising fiscal deficit. This is the third consecutive year that the government has revised its fiscal deficit target. The budget has pegged fiscal deficit at 3.8 %.
- RBI Headquarters location: Mumbai
SEBI issues guidelines for alternative investment funds benchmarking
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has issued guidelines for benchmarking the performance of Alternative Investment Funds (AIFs) with a view to streamlining disclosure standards and helping investors in assessing scheme performance.
- Chairman of SEBI: Ajay Tyagi.
- Headquarters: Mumbai.
Religare Group to sell Equity In Health Insurance Arm to Kedaara Group for Rs 400 Crore
- Religare Enterprises Ltd. is set to sell part of stake in its health insurance subsidiary Religare Health Insurance Company Ltd. to the Kedaara group for Rs 400 crore.
- The transaction is expected to be completed within the financial year 2020-21.
- Rashmi Saluja, Non-Executive Independent Chairperson, Religare.
PFRDA doubles minimum net worth for pension fund managers to 50 crore
- The Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA), the regulator of the National Pension System (NPS), has doubled the minimum net worth criterion for pension fund managers to 50 crore from the 25 crore stipulated earlier.
- PFRDA Chairman- Yogesh Agarwal.
IMF’s First Deputy Managing Director David Lipton to step down
- International Monetary Fund (IMF)’s First Deputy Managing Director David Lipton would be leaving the multilateral lender Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva announced.
- International Monetary Fund
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C. U.S.
Awards and Honours
Singareni CMD N Sridhar receives Bharatiya Mahantam Award at Bangkok
- Singareni Chairman and Managing Director N. Sridhar received the prestigious Bharatiya Mahantam Puraskar 2019-20, at the 13th Asian Business and Social Forum conference held on at Bangkok, Thailand under the auspices of the AsiaOne magazine.
- Singareni Collieries Company Limited Head Quarters- Kothagudem, Telangana.
Desperate Housewives star Orson Bean ‘dies aged 91
- American actor and comedian Orson Bean has died. He received a Tony nod for the 1962 Comden-Green musical Subways Are for Sleeping.
Renowned thinker, writer P Parameswaran passes away in Kerala
- Writer and the founder director of Bharatiya Vichara kendram P Parameswaran passed away this morning at Ottapalam in Kerala.
- He was awarded Padma Vibhushan in 2018 and Padma Shri in 2004.
Padma Shri awardee Giriraj Kishore passes away
- Well-known Hindi novelist and Padma Shri awardee Giriraj Kishore passed away in Kanpur, following a cardiac arrest at his residence.
- Giriraj Kishore was best known for his novel ”Pehla Girmitiya”
Bangladesh beat India to win maiden Under-19 World Cup
- Bangladesh beat India by three wickets to win maiden ICC U-19 World Cup cricket title by Duckworth-Lewis method in South Africa.
- Bangladeshi skipper Akbar Ali was declared the Player of the Match for his captaincy and match-winning unbeaten 43.
Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre Red wins 1st Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament
- Ladakh Scouts Regimental Centre (LSRC) Red won the first Men’s section Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament 2020 by defeating Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) team 3-2 in final match.
Haryana thrashes SAI to win 10th Hockey Senior Women National Championship
- Haryana thrashed Sports Authority of India (SAI) 6-0 to win the 10th Hockey India Senior Women National Championship 2020 (A Division) title at Kollam.
- Madhya Pradesh Hockey Academy beat Hockey Maharashtra 2-1 in the third-fourth place play-off match.
Chief Minister: Manohar Lal Khattar
Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of February 6, 2020 now from the link given below. (It took topper to score 15/15 in 7 & 8 minutes 18 seconds, beat that if you can).
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.