DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : JANUARY 28, 2018
DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : JANUARY 28, 2018
Himachal CM Launches ‘Shakti’ App
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur launched ‘Shakthi’ app. The app has been launched for a quick police response cases of crimes against women.
- The mobile app is linked to police control rooms for ensuring the safety of women in the state.
- He also launched the ‘GUDDIYA’ helpline number 1515 and the ‘Hoshiyar Singh’ helpline number 1090.
- It was designed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC), Himachal Pradesh.
Chief Minister: Jai Ram Thakur
Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat.
India International Seafood Show (IISS) 2018
- The 21st edition of India International Seafood Show begins in Goa.
- India’s best marine products will be showcased for buyers from around the world.
- Industry leaders and experts will focus on policies, market trends, technology and roadmaps to achieve an export target of US$10 billion by 2022.
- Theme: Safe and Sustainable Seafood from India
India and Cambodia Inks for Bilateral ties
- India and Cambodia signed four agreements and the documents were exchanged in presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Cambodian PM Hun Sen following delegation-level talks between the two countries.
The Four Agreements:
1.To improve cooperation in prevention, investigation of crimes and legal assistance in criminal matters.
2.A line of credit from India to fund Cambodia’s Stung Sva Hab water resources development project for USD 36.92 million.
3.On the issues of prevention rescue and repatriation related to human trafficking.
4.To promote cultural exchange and strengthen the friendly relations between the two nations.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
India, second cheapest country to live in the World
- India has ranked second after South Africa as the cheapest country to live or retire, according to a recent survey of 112 countries.
- The survey was taken by GoBankingRates on the bases of four key affordability metrics, provided by online pricing database Numbeo.
- The metrics are local purchasing power index, rent index, Groceries index, and Consumer price index.
- Among the most expensive countries in the survey are Bermuda (ranked 112), Bahamas (111), Hong Kong (110), Switzerland (109) and Ghana (108).
India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018
- India will become the fastest growing large economy in the world, eclipsing China, in 2018 and the country’s equity market will jump to become the fifth largest in the world.
- According to a Sanctum Wealth Management report, when the rest of the world offers low growth and insufficient structural change, India, by contrast, is seen as a reforming economy with the prospect of strong long-term growth.
- Sanctum is a Delhi-based professional wealth management company.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
Vice President releases the book ‘Staniya Svasasan Mei Addhi Aabadhi’
- Vice President releases the book ‘Staniya Svasasan Mei Addhi Aabadhi’ has been authored by Dr. Sadhana Pandey in New Delhi..
- It is a study that captures the voices of the rural women who are occupying positions of authority at the local level.
A Book by Sheila Dixit “Dilli Meri Dilli: Before and After 1998”
- The former Chief Minister of Delhi, Sheila Dixit’s pictorial book framed a book named “Dilli Meri Dilli: Before and After 1998”.
- The book beautifully traces the evolution of the Indian capital over the centuries.
- The book is published by Palimpsest Publishers.
- It focus various subjects like heritage, culture, law, gender equality, urban environment, education, sports and transport.
Bopanna-Babos pair ends runner-up at Australian Open
- Bopanna and Babos lost to the Croat-Canadian pair of Pavic and Dabrowski in mixed Doubles.Timea Babos hails from Hungary.
- Bopanna had won his maiden Grand Slam crown at the 2017 French Open with Dabrowski.
Prime Minister: Viktor Orban
Australian open Singles Winners
- Caroline Wozniacki clinched her 1st grand slam title in Women Singles category in Australian open.
- She hails from Denmark and currently in Second Rank in World.
- She defeated Simona Halep in the final,who is currently ranked world No. 1 in singles by the Women’s Tennis Association.
- Roger Federer became the first man to win 20 grand slam titles after beating Marim Cilic in Australian Open Finals.
Roger Federer Title List-
Australian Open: 6
French Open: 8
US Open: 5
Delhi wins Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy
- Delhi won their first Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy by beating Rajasthan.
- It was held at Eden Gardens stadium, Kolkata.
- The 2017–18 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy is the ninth edition of Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy, a Twenty20 competition in India.