DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : Jul 26 & 27, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (Jul 26 & 27 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Kargil Vijay Diwas- July 26:
- India is observing the 21st anniversary of Kargil Vijay Diwas on July 26, remembering its brave martyrs who sacrificed their lives to uphold and safeguard the integrity of the nation. This day commemorates the success of Operation Vijay. Kargil war took place from May 3 to July 26, 1999.
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan attends Shanghai Cooperation Organisation Health Ministers’ meeting:
- Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan attended the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Health Ministers’ meeting and highlighted India’s efforts to combat the impact of COVID-19 pandemic.
Arjun Munda inaugurates e-Symposium “Emergent North-East India: Strategic and Developmental Imperatives in Handicrafts”:
- Union Minister for Tribal Affairs Arjun Munda has inaugurated an e-Symposium on Handicrafts titled “Emergent North-East India: Strategic and Developmental Imperatives in Handicrafts” organized by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Centre for Policy Research and Analysis, IIM Shillong.
Haryana to host the 4th edition of Khelo India Youth Games in 2021:
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju and Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced Haryana as the host state for the fourth edition of Khelo India Youth Games (KIYG), which is currently scheduled to take place after Tokyo Olympics. The Games will be held at Panchkula in Haryana.
- Chief Minister:Manohar Lal Khattar
- Governor:Satyadev Narayan Arya
- National Parks(NP):Sultanpur NP, Kalesar NP
- Dance:Phag, Dhamal, Loor, Khoria.
Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar releases the Financial Management Index for Rural Development:
- Rural Development & Panchayati Raj Minister Narendra Singh Tomar released a “Financial Management Index for Rural Development Programmes” to rank the performance of the States. It would promote the spirit of competitive, cooperative federalism amongst States.
India Set To Propose World Solar Bank & Mobilize $50 Billion In Solar Funding:
- MNRE is likely to propose to the govt. to set up a World Solar Bank. It may propose that the World Solar Bank disburse $50 billion over the first ten years. The bank will require $10 billion in equity capital and $2 billion in paid-up capital.
India announces 400-million-dollar currency swap for Sri Lanka:
- Reserve Bank of India has signed necessary documents for extending a 400-million-dollar currency swap facility with the Central Bank of Sri Lanka. This currency swap arrangement will remain available till November 2022.
- Capital: Colombo
- Currency: Rupee.
India and EU renew Agreement on Scientific and Technological Cooperation till 2025:
- India and European Union have renewed its Agreement on Scientific and Technological Cooperation for the next five years till 2025. The Agreement was initially signed on 23rd November in 2001 and renewed two times in 2007 and 2015.
Reliance Industries overtakes Exxon to become world’s No. 2 energy company:
- Reliance Industries Ltd controlled by Asia’s richest man, toppled ExxonMobil Corp. to become the world’s largest energy company. Ambani’s dealmaking has lured investments from Google to Facebook Inc. into his digital platform in recent months.
India extends medical assistance worth about USD 1 million to North Korea:
- India has extended medical assistance worth about USD 1 million to North Korea in response to a request received from the World Health Organisation (WHO), the Ministry of External Affairs stated.
- India is sensitive to the shortage of medical supply situation in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) and decided to grant a humanitarian assistance of USD 1 million in the form of anti-tuberculosis medicines
Banking and Economy:
RBI estimates gross NPA of banks may rise to 12.5% by March 2021:
- Reserve Bank of India released the Financial Stability Report (FSR) that “reflects the collective assessment of the sub-committee of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) on risks to financial stability”.
- Gross non-performing assets (GNPA) ratio of the country’s scheduled commercial banks (SCBs) may increase from 5 percent in March 2020 to 12.5 percent by 2021.
SBI Funds Management gets RBI nod to buy up to 10 pc in CSB Bank:
- Reserve Bank of India has given approval to SBI Funds Management Pvt Ltd to acquire shares up to 10 per cent of the paid-up capital of CSB Bank through various schemes of the SBI Mutual Fund. SBI Mutual Fund currently holds 4.734 per cent in the paid-up capital
Acquisitions and Mergers:
TRIFED Signs MoU With IIT Delhi Under Govt’s Flagship ‘Unnat Bharat Abhiyan’:
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs entered into a partnership with IIT Delhi under the HRD Ministry’s flagship ‘Unnat Bharat Abhiyan’ (UBA) to increase livelihood opportunities and income generation for tribal communities.
Science and Technology:
India’s first NABL-accredited honey testing lab inaugurated:
- Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated India’s first National Accreditation Board for Testing& Calibration Lab(NABL) honey testing lab set up by National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) at Anand, Gujarat. The new lab will test honey as per the norms specified by the food safety regulator FSSAI.
Indian Railways constructing world’s first electrified tunnel to run double-stack containers:
- Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd (DFCCIL) has conducted a tunnel-breaking ceremony was held on the completion of caving work for the one-kilometre long tunnel of Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (WDFC) through Aravalli mountain range, near Sohna in Haryana. The tunnel connects Mewat & Gurugram district of Haryana
Air Marshal VR Chaudhary appointed new chief of Western Air Command:
- Air Marshal Vivek Ram Chaudhary has been named as the new head of Western Air Command of Indian Air Force, which looks after the country’s defence in North India, including Ladakh region. He will take over from Air Marshal B Suresh.
Bharathi Airtel Appoints Ganesh Lakshminarayanan As New Chief for Enterprise Business:
- Bharti Airtel Ltd has appointed Ganesh Lakshminarayanan as chief executive officer (CEO) of the company’s enterprise business. He will succeed Ashish Arora, who has been promoted as the CEO for global business. Ganesh takes over from Ashish Arora will now be CEO.
Senior bureaucrat Rajesh Bhushan succeeds Preeti Bhushan as Union Health Secretary:
- Centre has appointed senior bureaucrat Rajesh Bhushan as the Union Health Secretary as part of a minor top-level bureaucratic reshuffle. Bhushan will replace Preeti Sudan who was given a three-month extension in April. She demits office on July 31.
- He is a 1987 batch Bihar cadre IAS officer bestowed with the responsibility of Officer on Special Duty.
IISc Appoints Professor Govindan Rangarajan As New Director:
- Indian Institute of Science has appointed Professor Govindan Rangarajan as the new director of the institute. Professor Rangarajan has been formally appointed by the Governing Council of the Institute as the next Director of IISc with effect from August 1, 2020, after obtaining approval from the President of India.
Awards and Recognitions:
Liverpool’s Henderson crowned FWA Footballer of the Year for captain heroics in title win:
- Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has been named the Football Writers’ Association (FWA) Footballer of the Year for the 2019-20 Premier League season.
- The Reds midfielder played a central role as the Anfield club stormed their way to the Premier League title, their first English top-flight crown in 30 years.
India Ranks 3rd among top 10 countries gaining forest area in the world: FAO:
- India has been ranked third among the top 10 countries that have gained in forest areas in the last decade (2010-2020) as per the latest Global Forest Resources Assessment (FRA) released by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
- Top 5 countries which recorded the maximum average annual net gains in forest area during 2010-2020 are China, Australia, India, Chile and Vietnam.
Hyderabad Ranked 16th in World’s most Surveilled Cities 2020 & Taiyuan,China tops:
- Hyderabad with over three lakh surveillance cameras has been ranked 16th among the top 20 most surveilled cities in the world, according to an annual report published by the UK-based Comparitech, a firm that reviews technology services like VPN, anti-virus and apps. The List was topped by Taiyuan, China.
- Chennai(21st rank) and Delhi (33rd rank) made into the top 50 list. Delhi ranked 2nd & Tokyo tops in the 20 most populated cities in the world.
Tanzania’s Former President Benjamin Mkapa Dies at 81:
- Tanzania’s former president Benjamin Mkapa (81), died at a hospital in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania on 24 July 2020, where he was admitted for an undisclosed illness. He was born on November 12, 1938.
Noted dancer-choreographer Amala Shankar passes away:
- Amala Shankar, the renowned dancer died in Kolkata at the age of 101. She was awarded Banga Vibhushan by the West Bengal government in 2011 for her contributions in the field of art. Not only dance, she was a painter and writer as well.
Olivia de Havilland, Golden Age of Hollywood star, dies at 104:
- Olivia de Havilland, a two-time Oscar winner and for decades the last surviving star of “Gone With the Wind” has died at the age of 104. Olivia Mary de Havilland was born July 1, 1916, in Tokyo to British parents.
India’s 2018 Asian Games mixed relay team’s silver upgraded to gold, Raghvan also gets bronze:
- Indian 4x400m mixed relay team’s silver medal in the 2018 Asian Games has been upgraded to gold. This decision has been taken after the disqualification of original winners Bahrain due to doping ban.
- Anu Ragavan’s fourth place in the women’s 400m hurdles has been upgraded to Bronze medal after this.
Sri Lanka woman cricketer Sripali Weerakkody retires from international cricket:
- Sri Lanka women cricketer Sripali Weerakkody announced to retire from the international cricket with immediate effect. The 34-year old fast bowling all-rounder represented the international side in 89 ODIs and 58 T20 internationals.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.