DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : July 16, 2019
Daily Current Affairs (July 15, 2019) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Check Daily CA from Race Youtube Channel
TVS Motor launches India’s first Ethanol based motorcycle TVS Apache RTR 200 Fi E100
- TVS Motor Company launched India’s first ethanol-based motorcycle TVS Apache RTR 200 Fi E100.
- Their main aim is to help reduce crude imports and reduce air pollution. It is available in Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka at a price of Rs 1.20 lakh. It was first showcased in Auto Expo 2018 in Delhi.
- The decision comes after the government plans to convert three-wheelers to EVs (Electric vehicles)by 2023 and 2-wheelers below 150cc (Cubic Centimeter) by 2025.
- The motorcycle launched by Shri. Nitin Jairam Gadkari, Minister for Road Transport and Highways of India & Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Shri. Amitabh Kant, CEO of NITI Aayog, and Shri. Venu Srinivasan, Chairman, TVS Motor Company.
- Headquarters: Chennai
- CEO: K. N. Radhakrishnan
Madhya Pradesh: 1st international flight from Indore leaves for Dubai
- In Madhya Pradesh, the first international flight from Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar International Airport of Indore left for Dubai today with 153 passengers on board.
- The non-stop flight has fulfilled a long-standing desire from the travel fraternity and tourists for direct connectivity to the Gulf. Indore-born Sunish Kumar Bhargava was the commander of this maiden international flight from his home city.
- Former Lok Sabha Speaker Mrs. Sumitra Mahajan, MP Shankar Lalwani, Air India CMD Ashwini Lohani were also present on this occasion.
- Air India is operating 162-seater A-320 Neo aircraft on this route, which will fly directly to Dubai on every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday while the return flight from Dubai will be on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday.
Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani flags off CRPF cycle rally
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani today flagged off the Central Reserve Police Force cycle rally as a part of the celebrations of the 81st Foundation Day which will be held at the national capital on 27th July.
- Five women officers along with 20 other cyclists will travel a distance of 982 kilometres on cycle from Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad to India Gate, New Delhi.
- The cycle rally is being flagged off from the birth place and work place of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The rally has taken place at a crucial time when the nation is celebrating the 150th birth anniversary of father of the Nation.
- The CRPF was established on 27th July, 1939. Today, it is a family of more than three lakh brave soldiers.
First Global Conference for Media Freedom held in London
- First Global Conference for Media Freedom 2019, hosted by the United Kingdom (UK) and Canada, was held on July 10-11, 2019 in London, UK.
- It is co-hosted by Chrystia Freeland, Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Jeremy Hunt, the UK Foreign Secretary. The conference is structured around 4 themes.
- The four themes are protection and prosecution, including impunity, national frameworks and legislation, building trust in media and countering disinformation and media sustainability.
- Indian delegation led by Prasar Bharati Chairman Surya Prakash. The UK government committed 18 million pounds. Their main aim is to improve media freedom across the world.
- The new Global Media Defence Fund, administered by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), will support, train and provide legal support to journalists in the most dangerous parts of the world.
RANKING & INDEX
Kohli, Bumrah retain top spots in ICC ODI rankings
- Indian skipper Virat Kohli and Jasprit Bumrah today retained their number one position in the ICC batsmen and bowlers’ rankings for the One-Day Internationals, following the conclusion of the World Cup.
- Another notable gainer in the rankings for batsmen is Ravindra Jadeja, whose valiant knock of 77 against New Zealand has lifted him 24 places to 108th position.
- In the team Rankings, England has increased their lead over India to three points after their maiden World Cup triumph.
BUSINESS & ECONOMY
AIIB provides $100 million to L&T Finance arm for wind and solar infrastructure projects
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) provide $100-million loan to L&T (Larsen & Toubro) Infrastructure Finance Company (LTIF) for wind and solar infrastructure projects.
- This is the first time AIIB is extending loan to a non-banking finance company (NBFC). It is collaborated with AIIB to explore the international market for green finance.
- The project mainly helps to increase the supply of renewable energy in India. It helps to reduce the carbon intensity by 30-35 percent of the 2005 levels by 2030 which was India’s commitment under the Paris agreement.
- India set a target to install 175 Gigawatt (GW) of renewable energy capacity by 2022, of which a total of 80.04 GW of renewable energy capacity installed in the country till May 2019.
Headquarters: Beijing, China
President: Jin Liqun
Formation: January 16, 2016
Founders: Henning Holck-Larsen, Søren Kristian Toubro
MD & CEO: S.N.Subramanian
AGREEMENTS & MOU
AGCL, OIL, GGL sign agreement for setting up of the new company for City Gas Distribution (CGD) network in Assam
- Assam Gas Company Limited (AGCL), Oil India Limited (OIL) and GAIL Gas Limited (GGL) signed an agreement for setting up of a new company for implementation of the City Gas Distribution (CGD) network.
- It is done in five districts namely Kamrup, Kamrup, Cachar, Hailakandi and Karimganj of Assam. The joint venture is the result of the extension of the National Gas Grid Pipeline (Urja Ganga Project).
- It is planned for an extension from Jagadishpur in Western Uttar Pradesh, to Haldia in West Bengal. In the 5 districts, about 4.16 lakh households connected with the Piped Natural Gas (PNG) and 72 CNG (Compressed natural gas) stations will be set up.
- The Industrial sector, power generation sector, automotive CNG sector, and households sector benefited by the supply of natural gas grid throughout Assam and other parts of the northeast.
- Aditya Kumar Sharma; Executive Director (Business Development), Oil India Limited, S. K. Singh; CEO, GAIL, Gas Ltd., A. K. Jana signed the Joint Venture Agreement in the presence of Industries & Commerce Minister Chandra Mohan Patwary, Media Adviser to Chief Minister, Hrishikesh Goswami.
- Capital: Dispur
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Former leader of opposition Chandrakant Kavlekar has been appointed as the deputy chief minister of Goa
- Former leader of opposition Chandrakant Kavlekar has been appointed as the deputy chief minister of Goa.
- He has sworn in as DCM on 15 July. He is among the four legislators inducted into the Goa cabinet. The appointment came days after 10 Congress MLAs in Goa joined the BJP.
- Mr.Sawant reshuffled the Goa cabinet on 13 July.
- Three members of the ally, Deputy Chief Minister Vijai Sardesai, Water Resources Minister Vinod Palyekar, Rural Development Minister Jayesh Salgaonkar and Independent MLA and Revenue Minister Rohan Khaunte, were dropped to accommodate the new members to the cabinet.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Shah Rukh Khan bagged with an Honorary Doctorate by Melbournes La Trobe University
- Shah Rukh Khan conferred with an Honorary Degree, Doctor of Letters (honoris causa) from Melbourne-based La Trobe University at the 10th edition of Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) at Bundoora, Australia.
- He is recognized for contributions to underprivileged children, women’s empowerment. They meet through Meer Foundation and for the achievements in the Indian entertainment industry.
- The function held on August 9, 2019. Mr.Khan is the chief guest. He got the first Australian University Award.
- Kaushik Ganguly’s Bengali film Nagarkirtan bags 4 awards including Best Feature Film at SAARC film festival 2019
- The 9th edition of the SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) festival 2019 in Colombo, Srilanka.
- Bengali filmmaker Kaushik Ganguly’s film ‘Nagarkirtan’ won four awards (Best Director’, ‘Best Actor’ and ‘Best Original Score’) including ‘Best Feature Film’ at the festival.
- The Best Actor award bagged to Riddhi Sen. The two other Indian films have won awards at the fest.
- ‘Na Bole Wo Haram’ bagged the ‘Best Short Film’ award directed by Nitish Patankar, while ‘Walking With the Wind’ received the Special Jury award directed by Praveen Morchhale.
Padma Shri awardee Raghu Ram receives FRCS of Thailand
- Popular breast surgeon and Padma Shri awardee P.Raghu Ram bagged with Honorary Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS) of Thailand.
- The function held at the 44th annual congress of the Royal College in Pattaya. The theme of the function is “ASEAN collaboration in value-based surgery”.
- The highest recognition got by the Institute in recognition of Raghu Ram’s bold vision coupled with an intense body of work.
- It was conferred by Professor Tanaphon Maipang, the President of the Royal College of Surgeons of Thailand. Raghu Ram achieved the rare distinction conferred FRCS from six Royal Colleges include London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Ireland, and Thailand & from the American College of Surgeons.
- In 1995, he qualified to become a surgeon and he had 24 years of experience. He also created awareness about the importance of early detection of breast cancer.
- Capital: Bangkok
- Prime Minister: Prayut Chan-o-cha
Vinesh Phogat wins gold at Yasar Dogu Internationa
- India wrestler Vinesh Phogat has won gold in the 53kg category at Yasar Dogu International in Istanbul.
- Phogat beat her Russian opponent Ekaterina Poleshchuk 9-5 in the final match to bag the gold medal.
- It was third gold in the women’s competition for India after Seema (50kg) and Manju (59kg) triumphed in their respective categories.
Djokovic won Federer to win fifth Wimbledon 2019 title
- Novak Djokovic won his fifth Wimbledon title. He defeated Swiss tennis ace Roger Federer 7-6, 1-6, 7-6, 4-6, 13-12 in a match that lasted for more than four hours.
- The match is to be decided in the fifth set. Federer and Djokovic won two set each in the longest ever final.
- This is Djokovic’s 16th Grand Slam and 5th Wimbledon title. He is level with Bjorn Borg as a five-time Wimbledon winner.
- He is a Serbian professional tennis player who is currently ranked world No. 1 in men’s singles tennis by the Association of Tennis Professionals.
- Olympic Games: (2008), Tour Finals: W (2008, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
Simona Halep won the Wimbledon Championship 2019 title
- Simona Halep won the Wimbledon Championship 2019 title. She created Wimbledon history by becoming the first Romanian to win the Grand slam 2019 title.
- She secured 6-2, 6-2 and defeated seven-time champion Serena Williams.
2019 Wimbledon Championships
- Date: 1-14 July
- Edition: 133rd
- Category: Grand Slam (ITF)
- Prize money: £ 38,000,000
- Surface: Grass
- Location: London, United Kingdom
- Venue: All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club UK
Lewis Hamilton wins sixth British Grand Prix
- Lewis Hamilton made a thrilling victory in the Silverstone circuit to win his sixth British Grand Prix, his seventh victory in ten races in 2019.
- Hamilton’s Mercedes teammate Valtteri Bottas looked all set for victory, but a safety car intervention helped Hamilton to seal the victory.
- Bottas had an early lead from pole position and he fought off Hamilton’s challenge in the starting laps.
- Hamilton somehow managed to edge ahead in the race later and from there he controlled the race.
India bags 2 Gold medals at ISSF Junior World Cup in Germany
- India bagged two Gold and one Silver medal in the Women’s 10-metre Air Rifle event at the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Junior World Cup in Suhl, Germany.
- In the Individual section of the category, Elavenil Valarivan claimed the top honours with a total score of 251.6, while another Indian Mehuli Ghosh settled for Silver with 250.2 points.
- India also clinched Gold in the team section by creating a junior world record.
- The effort ensured that India remain at the top of the medals tally with 14 medals, six Gold, six Silver and two Bronze. China is second with two Gold and a total of six medals.
World Snake Day: July 16
- July 16, observed as the World Snake Day, is an ideal occasion to know and understand many things about these carnivorous reptiles, which are on the path of extinction mainly because of the myths and superstitions surrounding them.
- There are thousands of snake species around the world. Hence it is no surprise that they come in a vast array of sizes, colours and patterns.
- We, humans, are often scared by the serpents, since some of them are venomous, which is why we cannot always appreciate their beauty.
Attend Current Affairs Quiz for the Month of May – 2019 from the link that is provided below.
Learn the Other Day Current Affairs from bankersdaily Team from the link that is provided below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
#1 TRENDING VIDEO in Race YOUTUBE CHANNEL