Daily Current Affairs: October 1, 2020
Dear Bankersdaily Aspirants,
Daily Current Affairs (October 1, 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Vegetarian Day- October 1:
- World Vegetarian Day is observed annually around the planet on October 1. It is a day of celebration established by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977 and endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978.The main purpose was “To promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism”.
International Day of Older Persons- October 1:
- International Day of Older Persons is observed on October 1 every year. United Nations designated October 1 as the International Day of Older Persons to focus on the well-being and special needs of the elderly people.
- Theme: “Leave No One Behind”.
Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal presents Anundoram Borooah Award 2020 to meritorious students:
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal presented “Anundoram Borooah Award 2020” to students who secured 75 per cent or above in HSLC examination 2020 at a programme held at Srimanta Sankardev Kalakshetra.
- As part of the award, an amount of Rs 20,000 each was directly transferred to bank accounts of 16,944 students for Purchasing Laptops. A total of Rs 34 crore has been released by the government for the purpose.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: SarbanandaSonowal
- Governor: Jagdish Mukhi
- National Parks: Orang National Park, Manas National Park or Manas Wildlife Sanctuary, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Kaziranga National Park, Nameri National Park, Dehing Patkai Wls.
Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju launches new logo of Sports Authority of India:
- Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju launched the new logo of Sports Authority of India’s (SAI) at Delhi’s Major Dhyan Chand Stadium. The new logo of SAI features a flying figure which indicates the freedom an athlete to leapfrog his/her career in SAI.
Union Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot e-launches “Ambedkar Social Innovation and Incubation Mission (ASIIM)”:
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlote Virtually launches “Ambedkar Social Innovation and Incubation Mission” (ASIIM) under Venture Capital Fund up to 5 Crore for Scheduled Castes with a view to promoting innovation and enterprise among SC students studying in higher educational institutions.
Uttar Pradesh government bags 8 awards for implementation of “Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan”:
- Uttar Pradesh government has bagged Eight Awards in Garib Kalyan Rozgar Abhiyan (GKRA) launched by the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation under the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- The State has also got overall second rank in implementation of Gandagi Mukt Bharat scheme. The awards will be distributed at a virtual ceremony by the Minister of State, Ministry of Jal Shakti on October 2, 2020.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan(Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
NITI Aayog and Embassy of the Netherlands sign Statement of Intent (SoI) on ‘Decarbonization and Energy Transition Agenda’:
- NITI Aayog and Embassy of the Netherlands signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) in New Delhi to support the decarbonization and energy transition agenda for accommodating cleaner and more energy. The SoI was signed by NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant and Ambassador of the Netherlands to India Marten van den Berg.
- Capital: Amsterdam
- Currency: Euro.
- Prime Minister: Mark Rutte
India and Bangladesh virtually conducts 6th Joint Consultative Commission meeting:
- India and Bangladesh held the 6th Joint Consultative Commission (JCC) meet through a virtual platform. The meeting was co-chaired by External minister of India S. Jaishankar and Foreign Minister of Bangladesh Dr. A.K. Abdul Momen.
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- Prime minister: Sheikh Hasina
- President: Abdul Hamid
Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan addresses Global Counter Terrorism Council (GCTC) Energy Security Conference 2020:
- Union Petroleum & Natural Gas and Steel Minister Dharmendra Pradhan addressed the ‘GCTC Energy Security Conference 2020’ organized by Global Counter Terrorism Council (GCTC). The Theme of ‘GCTC Energy Security Conference 2020’ is – “Energy Security Architecture in Post Covid-19 World”.
Banking and Economy
RBI Sets Centre’s Ways and Means advances limit at Rs 1.25 lakh crore for second half of FY 2020-21:
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) set the Ways And Means Advances (WMAS) limit at Rs 1.25 lakh crore for the central government for the second half of the fiscal year. WMAs are temporary advances given by the RBI to the government to tide over any mismatch in Receipts and Payments.
- RBI may trigger fresh floatation of market loans when the government utilises 75 per cent of the WMA limit.
American Express and SBI Card join hands to leverage scale and differentiated offerings for premium customers:
- SBI Card has joined hands with American Express to leverage scale and differentiated offerings for its premium customers in India. SBI Card’s top-end premium products ‘SBI Card ELITE’ and ‘SBI Card PRIME’ will be available on American Express’ global network.
Indian Bank launched Green-Tech Initiative “IB-eNote”:
- Indian Bank has launched a green initiative named “IB-eNote” to enable a total Paperless Working Environment. This tool enables processing and tracking of notes put up by various offices digitally.
- The bank for this initiative has customized SharePoint, one of the features of Microsoft Office. The Bank also launched ‘Ind Guru’, an e-learning platform for its employees.
RBI excludes six public sector banks from Second Schedule of RBI Act:
- Reserve Bank of India has excluded six public sector banks from the Second Schedule of the RBI Act following their merger with other banks. The six banks are Syndicate Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, United Bank of India, Andhra Bank, Corporation Bank, and Allahabad Bank.
- A bank mentioned in the Second Schedule of the Reserve Bank of India Act is known as ‘Scheduled Commercial Bank’.
Acquisitions and Mergers:
CSIR sign MoU with Tata Steel to collaborate in the area of Carbon Capture, Utilisation & Storage (CCUS):
- Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) and Tata Steel signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to working together in the areas of Carbon Capture, Utilisation & Storage (CCUS). India’s growing energy demands and to build a strong ecosystem to meet commitments under the Paris Agreement.
Science and Technology:
India successfully test fires over 400 km strike range “BrahMos” supersonic cruise missile in Odisha:
- India successfully test fired a new version of the surface to surface supersonic cruise missile “BrahMos” having a range of around 400 km from an integrated test range at Balasore in Odisha.
- BrahMos surface to surface supersonic cruise missile featuring indigenous booster and airframe section along with many other ‘Made in India’ sub-systems was successfully flight tested.
ISRO to carry first ever French payload abroad Venus mission scheduled for 2025:
- ISRO is scheduled to launch its Venus mission in 2025 and French space agency CNES (National Centre for Space Studies) will participate in it. The VIRAL (Venus Infrared Atmospheric Gases Linker) instrument co-developed with the Russian federal space agency Roscosmos and the LATMOS atmospheres, environments and space observations laboratory attached to the French national scientific research centre Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)has been selected by the ISRO.
ITBP chief S S Deswal given additional charge of National Security Guard Director General:
- ITBP Director General S S Deswal has been given the additional charge of counter-terrorism force National Security Guard (NSG) as its incumbent chief A K Singh is going to retire, according to a government order.
- Anup Kumar Singh, a 1985-batch Indian Police Service officer of the Gujarat cadre, was appointed the NSG Director General in October 2019.
Bengal Peerless appoints BCCI President Sourav Ganguly as brand ambassador:
- One of the leading real estate developers of India, Bengal Peerless Housing Development Company Limited appoints Sourav Ganguly as the Brand Ambassador for the company. The former national Cricket Team Captain & current President Of The Bcci, Ganguly will primarily lead the campaign of the company’s residential project Avidipta II on EM Bypass.
Toyota appoints Ayushmann Khurrana as brand ambassador for Urban Cruiser SUV:
- Toyota Kirloskar Motor has announced leading Bollywood actor, singer and youth icon Ayushmann Khurrana as the Brand Ambassador for the all-new Toyota Urban Cruiser. The Urban Cruiser sub-compact SUV will be Toyota’s second spin-off of a Maruti car, the first one being the Baleno hatchback which is sold as the Glanza in the Indian market.
KVIC appoints Fashion Design Council Chairman Sunil Sethi as advisor:
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission have appointed Sunil Sethi as its Advisor. Sunil Sethi is the Chairman of the Fashion Design Council of India. He has been appointed for a period of one year. He will succeed fashion designer Ritu Beri.
Awards and Recognitions:
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award 2020; Scientists from IIT Kanpur, Kharagpur honoured by CSIR:
- Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has announced the names of 14 scientists who have been chosen as Recipients of the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize 2020. Two Professors, one from IIT Kharagpur, Dr Abhijit Mukherjee and Dr Bushra Ateeq from IIT Kanpur are among the recipients of Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize.
- The award is presented in following 7 Category: Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean and Planetary Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Medical Sciences and Physical Sciences.
- Dr Shubhadeep Chatterjee from Centre for DNA fingerprinting and diagnostics, Dr Vatsala Thirumalai from National Centre for Biological Sciences, Dr Jyotirmayee Dash from Indian Association for the cultivation of science, Dr Suryendu Dutta from IIT Bombay, Dr Subi Jacob George from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific, Dr Kinshuk Dasgupta from Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Dr Ritesh Agarwal from PGIMER Chandigarh, Dr Amol Arvindrao Kulkarni, Dr Surajit Dhara from the University of Hyderabad.
Kerala tourism’s campaign bags prestigious PATA Grand award:
- Kerala Tourism’s “Human by Nature” campaign won the prestigious Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Grand Award 2020. The campaign got this award for Marketing, giving a boost to the state’s tourism industry, which has been affected by coronavirus pandemic.
- Three categories of awards were Marketing, Sustainability and Human Capital Development. It was for the first time that this year’s PATA Gold Awards, supported and sponsored by the Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO).
Ambulimama artist KC Sivasankar, illustrator of famous Vikram and Vetala series passed away at 97:
- KC Sivasankar who had contributed over 5 decades in creating cartoons, passed away. He primarily contributed to the magazine, Chandamama. Sankar is the artist behind the signature painting of the Vikram & Vetala
Can you score 15/ 15 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of October 1, 2020 now from the link given below.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.