DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS : SEP 1, 2020
Daily Current Affairs (SEP 01 2020) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
World Letter Writing Day: September 1
- World Letter Writing Day was observed on September 1. It was established by Richard Simpkin as a tribute to the joy and excitement he felt when a hand-written letter would arrive in his mailbox. This came out as a result of a project he was working on called Australian Legends.
National Nutrition Week 2020: September (1-7):
- National Nutrition Week celebrated on the first week of September (1 to 7) was launched by Ministry of Women and Child Development’s Food and Nutrition Board in 1982 with an objective to raise awareness on the importance of nutrition for human body.
Indian Railways has developed a remote-controlled medical trolley named ‘MEDBOT’ to help deliver food and medicines to COVID-19 patients:
- Indian Railways has developed a remote-controlled medical trolley named ‘MEDBOT’ to help deliver food and medicines to COVI-19 patients. It is providing service in the Central Hospital of the Diesel Rail Engine Factory of Indian Railways.
Kerala to set up India’s first International Women’s Trade Centre:
- Kerala will set up India’s first International Women’s Trade Centre (IWTC), in consonance with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- This initiative aims to accelerate women entrepreneurship and secure gender parity while providing women with a safe place away from home to start new businesses, set up or expand, and get their products marketed globally.
- Capital: Thiruvananthapuram
- Chief Minister: Pinarayi Vijayan
- Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
MSME Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurates Technology Centre at Bhiwadi in Rajasthan:
- MSME Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated a technology centre at Bhiwadi in Rajasthan via video conferencing. 15 new technology centres are being set up & 18 existing ones are being upgraded to create skilled manpower, as part of efforts to make India a manufacturing hub. The manufacturing sector contributes around 22-24% in GDP.
- Chief Minister:Ashok Gehlot
- Governor:Kalraj Mishra
PM Modi inaugurates Rani Lakshmi Bai Central Agricultural University in Jhansi:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi digitally inaugurated college and administration buildings of the Rani Lakshmi Bai (RLB) Central Agricultural University. Named after the iconic freedom fighter, Rani Lakshmi Bai, the RLB University is located in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Capital: Lucknow
- Chief Minister: Yogi Adityanath
- Governor: Anandiben Patel
- National Park: Dudhwa National Park (Tiger Reserve)
- Zoological park: Shaheed Ashfaq Ullah Khan Prani Udyan(Gorakhpur), Kanpur Zoological Park, Nawab Wajid Ali Shah Zoological Garden.
‘Agriota’ e-market platform launched to bridge the gap between Indian farmers and UAE food industry:
- The UAE has launched Agriota (developed with India’s CropData Technology) a new technology-driven agri-commodity trading and sourcing e-market platform that will bridge the gap between millions of rural farmers in India and the Gulf nation’s food industry. It was launched by the Dubai Multi Commodities Centre (DMCC).
CSIR-CMERI develops world’s largest solar tree creates models for wider use in agri operations:
- World’s Largest Solar Tree has been developed by the CSIR-CMERI. The solar tree has been installed at the Residential Colony of CSIR-CMERI in Durgapur, West Bengal. The solar tree has the annual capacity to generate 12,000-14,000 units of Clean and Green Power while its installed capacity is above 5 kWp.
6th International Military-Technical Forum “Army-2020 held in Russia:
- 6th International Military-Technical Forum “Army-2020” was held at the Patriot Park near Moscow, Russia which was organized by Russian Defence Ministry and operated by International Congresses and Exhibitions Ltd. (ICE Ltd).
- During the forum, Indian Pavilion was inaugurated by Secretary (Defence Production) Raj Kumar and Indian Ambassador to Russia Bala Venkatesh Varma.
- Capital: Moscow
- Currency: Russian Rouble
- President: Vladimir Putin
- Prime Minister: Mikhail Mishustin
India to receive development assistance loan worth Rs 3,500 Cr from Japan to fight COVID-19:
- Japan committed an official Development Assistance loan of Rs 3,500 crore for the COVID-19 Crisis Emergency Response Support. The notes were exchanged between the Additional Secretary in DEA Dr C S Mohapatra and ambassador of Japan to India Suzuki Satoshi.
Banking and Economy
India’s GDP contracts by 23.9% in Q1 of FY21: NSO data
- As per the official data released by the National Statistics Office (NSO), India’s GDP has contracted by 9% in the first quarter (April-June 2020) for FY21.
- This is the first instance of an economic contraction for India in at least four decades. It is also the first GDP decline since India began publishing quarterly numbers in 1996.
Acquisitions and Mergers
Vedanta ties up with SBI for long-term syndicated loan of Rs 10,000 crore:
- Vedanta tied up with State Bank of India for long-term syndicated loan facility worth Rs 10,000 crore. A syndicated loan is offered by a group of lenders who work together to provide credit to a large borrower. SBI has committed Rs 5000 crores as a lender.
Adani Group buys 74% stake in Mumbai International Airport:
- Adani Group has acquired 74% stake in Mumbai International Airport Limited (MIAL) that operates Mumbai Airport. Mumbai Airport is the second largest airport in India.
- Under this, Adani Group will acquire 50.5% stake of GVK group. Additionally, Adani will also acquire 23.5% stake of minority partners Airport Company of South Africa (ACSA) and Bidvest.
Myntra appoints Kiara Advani as brand ambassador:
- E-commerce website Myntra has appointed Kiara Advani as its brand ambassador. Actress Kiara Advani will be the brand ambassador and nationwide celebrity endorser for Myntra.
Tamil Nadu Appoints India’s First-ever Woman Ambulance Driver:
- M Veeralakshmi was appointed driver of one of the newly launched ‘108’ ambulances in Tamil Nadu. Tamil Nadu has appointed India’s first-ever woman ambulance driver under a new initiative by CM Palaniswami.
Aveek Sarkar elected new Chairman of Press Trust of India:
- Aveek Sarkar has been elected as the Chairman of the Press Trust of India. He replaces Vijay Kumar Chopra, Chief Editor of the Punjab Kesari Group of newspapers. Aveek Sarkar is the Vice Chairman of the Ananda Bazar Group of Publications. He was also the founding Managing Director of Penguin India.
Awards and Recognitions
Hyderabad International Airport wins CII-GBC ‘National Energy Leader’ award:
- The GMR led Hyderabad International Airport was awarded at the 21st National Awards for Excellence in Energy management organized by CII and GBC during the 19th edition of Energy Efficiency Summit, Virtual Conference and Exposition on Energy Efficiency.
Air Force Sports Control Board Conferred with ‘Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar 2020’:
- Air Force Sports Control Board, apex body for planning and conduct of sports activities, was conferred with ‘Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar 2020’ for outstanding contribution in helping sportsperson to excel & implement robust sports welfare measures.
‘Vattatha Uravakkayi Jalasamrudhi’ wins award for excellence at the National Water Innovation Summit:
- The ‘Vattatha Uravakkayi Jalasamrudhi’ project for water conservation in the Kattakada constituency has won the award for excellence at the National Water Innovation Summit organized by Elets Technomedia Pvt. Ltd. in association with the Union Ministry of Jal Shakti.
Deep Grace and Jayanti Behera get Biju Patnaik awards on National Sports Day:
- Indian women’s hockey team defender Deep Grace Ekka and para-athlete Jayanti Behera received the Biju Patnaik sports award for outstanding performance from Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik through video conference on the occasion of the National Sports Day.
- Biju Patnaik Bravery Award was presented to two girls from Kendrapara, Purnima Giri and Sabita Giri, who received cash award of Rs 1 lakh each, medal and citation.
- Biju Patnaik Sports Award for excellence in coaching went to chess coach Satya Ranjan Patnaik.
Former President Pranab Mukherjee passes away at 84:
- Former President of India Pranab Mukherjee passed away. The Coalition Years, Turbulent Years, The Dramatic Decade are some of the books written by him. He was awarded India’s highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna by President of India, Ram Nath Kovind. He was the 13th President of India. He was from Congress.
India’s first female cardiologist Dr Siva Ramakrishna Iyer Padmavati, dies at 103:
- Dr Siva Ramakrishna Iyer Padmavati, India’s first female cardiologist, passed away at the age of 103 of coronavirus disease (COVID-19)-related complications. She is popularly known as the God Mother of Cardiology. She was the founder of NHI hospital.
Former envoy Katyayani Shankar Bajpai Passe Away at 92:
- Katyayani Shankar Bajpai, former ambassador to China, US and Pakistan and Secretary in MEA passed away. His father Girija Shankar Bajpai was the first secretary-general of the Ministry of External Affairs of a newly independent India.
Buy the Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning Ability & English Language Topic Wise Tests – Online Tests from the below-given links.
If you have any doubts regarding the 4 new Topic Wise Test Packages, kindly mail your queries to email@example.com.