Weekly Current Affairs One Liners
Weekly Current Affairs One liners – September 15-21
- From next April, people applying for new driving licence or for renewal will have to mention the Aadhaar number. The road transport ministry, which has put a draft notification to include Aadhaar as the main proof of identity and address, will notify the new norm next month for its roll out.
- The North Eastern Electric Power Corporation (NEEPCO) said its two hydro-electric projects in Arunachal Pradesh are on the verge of completion and they would be commissioned next year.
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Menaka Gandhi inaugurated India’s first centre for Animal Law which was established by NALSAR University for Law and Human Society International, India will work along with them to steer and coordinate the activities of the centre.
- Karnataka is the first state to roll out an Electric Vehicle and Energy Storage Policy and is also is looking to attract investments to the tune of Rs31,000 crore from companies looking at research and development (R&D), and manufacturing of electric vehicles (EVs).
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s birthday which falls on September 17 will be celebrated as Seva Diwas.
- President Ram Nath Kovind to launch Swachh Bharat Mission 3.0 in Kanpur.
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis launched the ‘Maharashtra Mission 1 Million initiative under which over 10 lakh students across the state will play football.
- The Corporate Affairs Ministry and the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) have now signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for automatic sharing of data and information on a regular basis.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the world’s second biggest dam Sardar Sarovar Dam described as Gujarat’s lifeline by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders.
- Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan stressed that the ministry is in the process of setting up six Regional Vocational Training Institutes (RVTI) in various states and six new RVTIs will be set up in Tripura, Patna, Punjab, Goa, Himachal Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. A new RVTI was setup at Hyderabad and was inaugurated by Vice President Venkaiah Naidu.
- Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar claimed that the Union government has saved ₹65,000 crore due to the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme. The scheme requires linking Aadhaar numbers with bank accounts and other subsidized services. Till date, the government has opened 30 crore Jan Dhan bank accounts, and has issued 118 crore Aadhaar numbers.
- Safe Water Network, an international NGO has partnered with Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) to launch water ATMs, providing affordable, 24×7 safe water access in Hyderabad. The first of the ATMs was inaugurated by Telangana State Home Minister N Narasimha Reddy. A total of 200 ATMs will be set up to reach a targetted 150,000 people.
- INS Garhial of Indian Navy will carry around 86 thousand family packs as relief material in the ongoing OPERATION INSANIYAT launched in support of Bangladesh for the Rohingya refugees.
- The First ‘BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise- 2017’ (BIMSTEC DMEx-2017) will be conducted by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) as the lead agency in Delhi and the National Capital Region (NCR).
- Former Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar launched –Mission 24 for Mumbai’s M east ward which is known to have one of highest slum population’s in the city.
- The upper age limit for joining the National Pension System (NPS) has been raised to 65 years from the current 60, the Pension Fund Regulatory and Development Authority (PFRDA)
- Three districts – Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh, Koraputin Odisha and Thane in Maharashtra – will initiate India’s ambitious ‘Zero Hunger programme through interventions in farm sector on October 16 (World Food Day) and most importantly India’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end hunger by 2030.
- The state government has decided to start work on mega infrastructure projects worth Rs1 lakh crore this year. He said infrastructure projects worth Rs 5.96 lakh crore have been planned in Maharashtra, which has earned the state honours from the NITI Aayog for being the leader in infrastructure creation.
- BJP president Amit Shah launched the ‘Shaheed Gram VikasYojana’ during a programme at Ulihatu in Khuntidistrict of Jharkhand. Ulihatu is the birthplace of Jharkhand’s tribal icon BirsaMunda.
- An indigenous artillery gun, Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS), being jointly developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the private sector has set a new world record in range by hitting targets at a distance of 48 km.
- Tripura became the first state in the country to set up family welfare district committees to deal with the issue of fake and biased complaints by women against their husbands, in-laws and husband’s relatives, as per an apex court directive. Tripura is the first state to have formed such committees, Tripura High Court Chief Justice T. Vaiphei.
- Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Anupriya Patel inaugurates 10th Medical Technology Conference in New Delhi.
- The Minister of State for Home Affairs Shri Kiren Rijiju attended the first National Canine Seminar organized by National Security Guard (NSG), in NSG Campus, Manesar (Gurugram), Haryana. The NSG, popularly known as “The Black Cats” of the country is organizing this two-day seminar and the theme of the two days National Canine Seminar is ”Canine as Tactical Weapon in Fight against Terrorism”
- Minister of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Anant Geete said that the government was considering the extension of a scheme to promote electric and hybrid vehicles by another six months. Most likley, we will extend it for another six months after the end of September. Earlier, the phase one of the Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Hybrid and Electric Vehicles (FAME)-India scheme was extended by six months,” Geete said at the 57th SIAM Annual Convention 2017.
- The Government of India signed a loan deal worth $76 million with Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), for a project to upgrade the environment management plan at Alang-Sosiya ship recycling yards. The project will be executed by Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB) and is likely to be completed by
- Iranian Banks has been provided with $10 Billion credit line by a Chinese State-owned investment firm and it was signed by China’s CITIC investment group and a delegation of Iranian banks led by central bank president Valiollah Seif.
- A Chinese state-owned investment firm has provided a $10 billion credit line for Iranian banks, Iran’s central bank president said.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh will operationalise the Sashastra Seema Bal’s (SSB) first ever intelligence wing.
- Russia and Iraqre stored scheduled commercial airline services for the first time since 2004, in what officials hailed as a sign of stability returning to the war-torn country.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj arrived to represent India at the annual United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) session with a packed schedule of super diplomacy among an array of world leaders.
- Acknowledging the role played by yoga legend Bishnu Charan Ghosh and his family members in spreading Indian postural yoga in Japan, the Japanese postal department has released postage stamps on four of Bengal’s famous exponents of the ancient Indian practice. The stamps on Bishnu Charan Ghosh, his son Biswanath Ghosh, daughter Karuna Ghosh and Karuna’s father in law Asutosh Ghosh, that were released recently in Japan, were official showcased here by the Japanese Consul General Masayuki Taga ,in Kolkata.
- The US and UAE’s ground forces will begin a joint military exercise in Abu Dhabi, as part of efforts to consolidate their bilateral relations and exchange training and military expertise. Code-named Iron Union 5, the drill is an extension of a series of Iron Claw exercises, which the UAE organizes with friendly countries to exchange and develop their skills according to the latest advanced military systems.
- China has opened a strategic highway in Tibet to the Nepal border which could be used for civilian and defence purposes, a move that Chinese experts say will enable Beijing to make forays into South Asia. The 40.4-kilometre highway in Tibet between Xigaze airport and Xigaze city centre officially opened to the public with a short section linking the national highway to the Nepal border.
- The World Bank allocated about $8 billion for infrastructure projects of the Chinese initiative – Silk Road Economic Belt. This was stated by World Bank President Jim Yong Kim at a roundtable with the heads of international financial and economic organizations
- The Asian Development Bank will provide a USD 152 million to Nepal for the implementation and enhancement of its power transmission and distribution. The Manila-based Asian Development Bank (ADB) and Nepal’s Ministry of Finance signed the loan agreement in Kathmandu and will be granted to Power Transmission and Distribution Efficiency Enhancement Project (PTDEEP).
- A British cyclist “Mark Beaumont “ has broken the world record for cycling around the world in 79 days – 44 days shorter than the previous record.
- The US Army and the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) inaugurated a permanent base In Israel. The base represents the long-standing partnership, the strategic commitment between the armies and the militaries of the United States of America and Israel. This is the first time that a permanent American base has been opened in the Middle Eastern country.
- The Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Dharmendra Pradhan, is set to visit Astana, Kazakhstan from September 19 – 20, where he will co-chair the 13th Meeting of Inter-Governmental Commission (IGC).
- Airbus’ Perlan 2 aircraft has made history this week, setting a new world altitude record for gliding. The aircraft soared to an incredible 52,000 feet over the Patagonia region of Argentina, without the support of an engine.
BANKING & BUSINESS
- Four years after a currency crisis singed Indian financial assets, the country’s foreign exchange reserves have surged to a record $400 billion. India now ranks eighth in foreign exchange reserves in a list that’s headed by China and Japan.
- Google has launched a payment service ‘Google Tez’, which will include support for Unified Payments Interface (UPI). Tez means fast in Hindi.
- Suzuki Motor will invest more than Rs 1,150 crore along with Japanese partners Toshiba and Denso to set up India’s first lithium ion battery facility in
- Shasi Arora, MD and CEO of Airtel Payment Bank announced that Airtel Payment Bank has integrated with the Unified Payments Interface(UPI) and soon the customers will be able to link their bank accounts on Bhim App and make UPI payments.
- ICICI Bank will partner with e-commerce firms to provide automated payday loan-type credit to customers at the bottom of the digital pyramid. The ‘pay later’ facility will be available to even those who have not availed of any loan in the past and for small amounts of up to Rs20,000. These borrowers should make a bullet repayment after a month.
- The government has set up an advisory panel under Justice B N Sri krishna to take the process forward. The 10-member panel will advise and “provide professional support” to the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India, the regulatory body headed by M S Sahoo, which is drafting the norms for filing bankruptcy by individuals and help them start afresh, a clause that is contained in the law but is yet to be operationalized.
- The Financial Resolution and Deposit Insurance Bill, 2017 has been referred to a Joint Parliamentary Committee of both the Houses, under the Chairpersonship of Shri Bhupender Yadav, M.P for examination and presenting a Report to the Parliament.
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank has said that it will bring down its cost of funds by up to 150 basis points during the current financial year by replacing 75% of its bank loans with borrowings using money market instruments including certificate of deposits.
- State Bank of Mauritius (SBM) is likely to become the first foreign bank to open a wholly-owned subsidiary almost four years after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) allowed overseas lenders to open local units in India.
- Footwear retailer Khadim India has received capital markets regulator Sebi’s approval to raise an estimated Rs550-650 crore through an initial public offering.
- The State Bank of India alerted customers holding accounts in its subsidiary banks to get new cheque books along with the India Financial System (IFS) code and the the old cheque books and IFS codes of the six banks merged with State Bank of India(SBI) will be invalid after September 30. The six banks are State Bank of Patiala, State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, State Bank of Raipur, State Bank of Travancore and State Bank of Hyderabad and Bharathiya Mahila Bank.
- HDFC Bank surpassed Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) to become the country’s second most valued firm on BSE in terms of market valuation.
- The government has notified the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) as the regulator for peer-to-peer (P2P) lending platforms that have been classified as non-banking finance companies (NBFCs).
- Allahabad Bank, a premier nationalized Bank of the country, launched a unique Womens’ centric savings bank account, All Bank Shakti. Overdraft facility will be offered to a salaried account holder, maintaining her salary account with Allahabad Bank. In addition, health insurance coverage for critical illness, is also available at a concessional premium.
- Three Indian entrepreneurial legends, Ratan Tata, Lakshmi Mittal and Vinod Khosla have been included in Forbes’s special list of the world’s ‘100 Greatest Living Business Minds.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- NASA’s Cassini spacecraft made its dramatic ‘death plunge’ into Saturn’s atmosphere, ending an epic 20-year space journey.
||Post Previously held by
|| Former United Nations secretary general Ban Ki-moon
||Chairman of International Olympic Committee’s ethics commission
||M Nagaraja Sharma
||Managing Director of United India Insurance (UIIC)
||Ambassador to China
||High Commissioner to Pakistan
||Y C Modi
||Chief of the National Investigation Agency
||Rajni Kant Misra
||Director General of the SashastraSeemaBal (SSB)
|| Sanjay Rajagopalan
||Senior Vice-President of Infosys
||Brand Ambassador of the Swachh Bharat Mission in Uttarkhand
||President of The Indian Broadcasting Foundation (IBF)
||Reappointed for a Second Term
||Prime Minister of Peru
|| Iceland’s President
||Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA)
||National level RajbhashaKeerti Award
||Global Diversity Award at Britain’s House of Commons
|| Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
||PSE Excellence Awards 2016 for R&D
|| Vijaya Bank
||RajbhashaKirtiPuraskar (Region C) for the year 2016-17
|| Former DIG D Roopa
||Nigerian lawyerZannah Mustapha
||United Nations’ Peace Prizes
||1st Prize by Ministry of Home Affairs for ‘RajbhashaKirtiPuraskar’ scheme for commendable work in implementation of Rajbhasha amongst Public Sector Undertakings located in Region ‘A’.
|| Ria Sharma
||UN’s Goalkeepers Global Goals Awards
||Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL)
69th Annual Primetime Emmy Awards
- Outstanding Comedy Series -Veep
- Outstanding Drama Series – The Handmaid’s Tale
- Outstanding Television Movie -Black Mirror: “San Junipero”
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series -Donald Glover as Earnest “Earn” Marks on Atlanta
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series-Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer on Veep.
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series -Sterling K. Brown as Randall Pearson on This Is Us
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series -Elisabeth Moss as June Osborne / Offered on The Handmaid’s Tale
- Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series -Atlanta (Episode: “B.A.N.”), Directed by Donald Glover
- Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series -The Handmaid’s Tale (Episode: “Offred”), Directed by Reed Morano
- Sports Ministry has announced 50 thousand rupees per month stipend to the elite athletes preparing for Tokyo Olympic, Asian Games and Common Wealth Games to meet their pocket expenses. The announcement was made by Sports Minister Col. RajyavardhanRathore.
- India’s PV Sindhu won her third Super Series title beating NozomiOkuhara in the women’s singles final of the Korea Open.
- Lewis Hamiltoncapitalised on incredible first-lap drama to win the Singapore Grand Prix and extend his Formula One world championship lead to 28 points.
- Indiawon its first athletics gold, through PurnimaHembram in women’s pentathlon, in the fifth Asian indoor and martial arts games. India also got two silvers, through SanjivaniJadhav in women’s 3000m and Tejinder Singh Toor in men’s shot put, and a bronze through Kerala’s V. Neena in women’s long jump.
- India’s Ankur Mittal won the silver medal in the men’s double trap event at the ISSF Shotgun World Championships in Moscow. In the junior competition, India’s AhvarRizvi also won a silver medal after faltering at the last shot. Great Britain’s James Dedmanwon the gold medal on the final shot of the competition.
- SumitNagal of India blasted Colin van Beem of the Netherlands in the singles final to justify the top billing in the 8th MCC – S R Subramaniam Memorial ITF Futures Men’s tennis championship.
HISTORIC EVENTS OF THE DAY
||International Day for the preservation of the Ozone Layer
||Caring for all life under the sun
||International Day of Democracy
||Democracy and Conflict prevention
||The International Day of Peace
||Together for Peace: Respect, Safety and Dignity for All
||World Alzheimer’s Day
- Arjan Singh – Marshal of the Indian Air Force (IAF) and India’s oldest, five-star ranked air force officer
- DrKS Chugh – Father of nephrology in India
- Violet Mosse-Brown – The world’s oldest living person and the last living subject of Queen Victoria.
Current Affairs One Liners – September 8-14
Current Affairs One Liners – September 1-7