Daily Current Affairs: March 27, 2021
Daily Current Affairs (March 27, 2021) like many other sections is inevitable and this also helps to score in the Banking awareness, Static GK, and Financial Awareness sections. Remember, Banking Awareness, and Static Awareness Questions are asked from the General Awareness section. This will also help you to ride your preparations for the forthcoming exams.
Earth Hour day – 27 March
- Earth Hour day is observed on the last Saturday of March across the world. It was organised by the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) and aims to raise awareness and inspire people to take tangible action for improving the environment.
- It urges individuals, businesses, and governments across the world to switch off their non-essential lights and electrical appliances for one hour from 8:30 pm to 9.30 pm, to raise awareness towards the need to protect nature for building a sustainable future for all.
- 2021 Theme: “Climate Change to Save Earth”
World Theatre Day – 27 March
- World Theatre Day is observed on 27 March annually across the world since 1962 to raise the importance of the art form “theatre” and to act as a wakeup call for governments, politicians, and institutions that have not yet recognised its value to the people and also have not realised its potential for economic growth.
- The day was initiated in 1961 by the International Theatre Institute (ITI). ITI also circulates messages issued by global celebrities in more than 50 languages, based on the theme “Theatre and a Culture of Peace”.
Bihar CM Nitish Kumar inaugurated ‘Nature Safari’ at tourist hotspot Rajgir
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar inaugurated ‘nature safari’ at Rajgir and dedicated it to the public who can enjoy plenty of activities including ‘Glass Sky Walk’ in a natural environment.
- Nature safari includes the much-talked and publicised country’s first ‘Glass Sky Walk’ (GSW), suspension bridge, zip line cycle, adventure park, butterfly zone, and nature camp area etc.,
- Capital: Patna
- Chief Minister: Nitish Kumar
- Deputy CM: Tarkishore Prasad and Renu Devi
- Governor: Phagu Chauhan
Ladakh LG inaugurated the first Solar Lift Irrigation Scheme of KREDA at Latoo Village
- Ladakh Lieutenant Governor RK Mathur inaugurated the first Solar Lift Irrigation Scheme of Kargil Renewable Energy Development Agency (KREDA) at Latoo Village.
- This is the last Village on the LOC (Line of Credit). The project is inspired by the Vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi for solarising Ladakh as a model region by making it fully solarised and Carbon Neutral.
- The agency has successfully installed and Commissioned a 41 Hp Submersible Pump backed with a 50 Kw Solar Photovoltaic Plant making the first prototype of the Solar Lift Irrigation System in Ladakh in coloration with Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council Kargil.
- Capital: Leh, Kargil
- Lieutenant Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan launched ‘Tribal TB Initiative’ in pursuit of TB Mukt Bharat
- Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan launched the ‘Tribal TB Initiative’ in pursuit of TB Mukt Bharat. The government accords top priority to ensuring Universal Access to free treatment and care for TB across the country.
- The government has already increased the Budget allocation for TB in India four-fold in the last five years. Union Territories of Lakshadweep and the district of Badgam in Jammu and Kashmir declared TB Free on World TB Day (March 24).
Banking and Economy
HDFC Bank named India’s best SME bank by Asiamoney
- HDFC Bank was adjudged the ‘India’s Best Bank for SMEs’ at the Asiamoney Best Bank Awards 2021. In its evaluation the magazine said on its website HDFC Bank’s transformation of its micro, small and medium-sized enterprise (MSME) business over the past few years makes it a worthy winner of this award.
HDFC Bank (Housing Development Finance Corporation)
- Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Chairman: Deepak Parekh
- MD & CEO: Sashidhar Jagdishan
- Tagline: “We understand your world”
- Established: 1994
YES BANK partnered with SHEROES to launch “YES Essence Plus” accelerator to support women entrepreneurs
- YES BANK launched a unique accelerator program “YES Essence Plus” to support women-led startups in partnership with SHEROES, the women-only social network.
- Over a 10-week period, the cohort startups will receive customised training through virtual workshops conducted by industry experts. The curriculum will focus on building skills such as financial management, legal, fundraising, marketing, and effective leadership.
- CEO: Prashant Kumar
- Founder: Rana Kapoor
- Headquarters: Mumbai
- Tagline: “Experience our Expertise”
S&P raised India’s FY22 GDP growth forecast from 10% to 11%
- S&P Global Ratings raised India’s growth forecast for the financial year 2021-22 to 11% from 10% India’s economy grew 0.4% in the October-December quarter. During April-June, at the peak of pandemic and most economic activities at a standstill, the country’s GDP had contracted a massive 23.9%, following a 7.5% decline in the fiscal second.
S&P Global Ratings:
- Headquarters: New York, U.S.
- President: John Berisford
AYUSH Ministry set up an interdisciplinary team head by HR Nagendra to explore the potential of Yoga
- The Ministry of AYUSH has set up an interdisciplinary team of experts to explore the potential of Yoga as a productivity-enhancing tool for the population.
- The committee is chaired by HR Nagendra, Chancellor of Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana (SVYASA) and its members include representatives from AIIMS New Delhi, IIM Bangalore, IIT Bombay, various leading Yoga institutions, the corporate sector, and the AYUSH Ministry.
Chitra Nayak appointed as the independent director of Infosys
- IT services major Infosys announced the appointment of former Salesforce executive Chitra Nayak as an independent director for a period of three years.
- Nayak has over 25 years of professional experience in go-to-market, general management, and operations leadership roles at various organisations. Nayak was COO at Funding Circle, an online SMB lending marketplace.
Former JLR CEO Ralf Speth to take over as TVS Motor chairman in 2023
- TVS Motor Company announced the appointment of auto industry veteran and former JLR CEO Ralf Speth to its board of directors, besides bringing in Kuok Meng Xiong as an independent director.
- Speth will succeed Venu Srinivasan (current chairman of TVS Motor Company) effective from January 2023.
Acquisitions and Mergers
CESL inked a pact with CSC SPV to create demand aggregation for EVs and other initiatives
- Convergence Energy Services Limited (CESL) a wholly-owned subsidiary of Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) signed a pact with CSC e-Governance Services India Limited (CSC SPV) to create demand aggregation for electric mobility, solar, energy-efficiency solutions, and other initiatives of CESL.
- The agreement was signed between CESL Managing Director & CEO Mahua Acharya and CSC SPV Managing Director Dinesh Kumar Tyagi in the presence of EESL Group Executive Vice-Chairperson Saurabh Kumar and other dignitaries from EESL, CESL, and CSC.
JICA signed a loan agreement with TCCL for climate change project
- The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed a loan agreement for a maximum amount of 10 billion yen with the Tata Cleantech Capital Limited (TCCL) to support the company to offer loans to businesses across India that focus on renewable energy generation, e-mobility solutions to help mitigate the effects of climate change by reducing the emission of greenhouse gas (GHG) following the Green Loan Principles.
- This loan will be provided through the Private Sector Investment Finance scheme of JICA and is co-financing with the Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC).
- The government has ratified the Paris Agreement in 2016, in which India has committed to cut GHG emissions intensity of its GDP by 33-35 per cent by 2030.
Awards and Recognitions
Legendary Singer Asha Bhosle to be honoured with Maharashtra Bhushan award
- Legendary singer Asha Bhosle will be honoured with the prestigious Maharashtra Bhushan Award for the year 2020. A committee chaired by Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray decided to select Bhosle for the award for the year 2020. The prize carries a cash prize of 10 lakh and a citation.
Books and Authors
A new book titled “Names of the Women” authored by Jeet Thayil
- A new book titled “Names of the Women” was authored by Jeet Thayil. The book talks about women whose roles were suppressed, reduced, or removed in the Gospels. The book was published by Penguin Books.
Vijayveer and Tejaswani won gold in 25m rapid fire pistol mixed event in ISSF world cup 2021
- India’s Vijayveer Sidhu and Tejaswani claimed the gold medal in the 25m rapid fire pistol mixed team event of the ISSF World Cup held in New Delhi. They beat the combo of Gurpreet Singh and Ashok Abhidnya Patil at the Karni Singh Shooting Range.
- Sidhu won the individual silver medal in the 25 rapid fire pistol event.
Can you score 20/20 in Today’s Current Affairs Quiz? Attempt the Current Affairs Quiz of March 27, 2021, now from the link given below.